• both

Votes: 91 23.0%
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you prefer?

I like sound deadning for the floors but love clay in the doors!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm not sure you can use only one or the other in a solid install. Really, it's all about meshing a bunch of different products for your different needs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WTF is oil based clay ?

I might start to think I was the only one that didn't have a clue..... except for the fact that your post had only gotten 1 reply, for 87 views, in 2 days....

Peace,
Fish

·
Registered
345 Posts
Okay, and how is this stuff used ? What brands are popular for automotive sound deadening ? Cost ? Effectiveness compared to sheet deadeners ?

BTW, I surfed around for a little while and found very little about oil based clays for this purpose......

Hmmmm,
Fish

·
Registered
224 Posts
Clay can be packed inside speaker pods for mass deadening

Check out Simplicityinsound pod builds

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have only heard about using non-hardening modeling clay in small spaces, i.e. speakers "pods" and on the inside trim of your auto to weigh it down and stop viberations. I would give it a try but I am sick and tierd of taking off my inside door panels. Maybe for my trim around the HU or overhead displays/controls.

·
Registered
424 Posts
considering the huge benefits, I would take off the panels again and apply....

we have 6 lbs in our kicks for our 5" subs and 4 lbs in our pillars for our 3" mids.

It's not only used in small pieces.

Our first sub enclosure had like 10 lbs of it used on the face of the enclosure.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Clay is a mess and there really isn't any place in my install where I could benefit from it. Afterall my truck gets treated like a truck and drives across gravel DAILY. There are also holes in the road that would make some cars scrape easily. And I'm not even going to get into my trips to Paron:eek:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this thought that clay is a mess.

We've been using is for years and have never run into a single issue. 117 degree days and it's never run, never melted, etc.

Not sure I understand this issue that everyone runs into....???

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I did my Morel CAW938's in the doors I used around 10lbs per door. You can purchase 15lbs on egay for $30 and it works. I also use around 5 lb's per kick panel on any kickpanel I use. Clay is the shiz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok here are a few questions from someone whos never used clay... which I'm sure will benefit others out there like me ;) .... SO when u say you apply it (8 to 10 pounds of it) in tight enclosures, like the Kicks - doesnt this just fill out the entire enclosure??? Will you not be left with no room behind the speaker which means that the mid bass will end up really flat??? Am I missing something here? how do you guys apply this stuff and make it stick to the enclosure walls?

This info would be super useful since i'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to locate and stop some annoying vibration that I'm getting somewhere around / behind my mid driver. I have made an odd shaped fiberglass enclosure that is screwed directly onto my door panel. I have deadened the enclosure with 2 full tubes of silicone gel (inside and outside of the enclosure) and about a quarter inch of high density EVA foam. The enclosure is securely fastened to the door panel and has a layer of Silicone gel between itself and the door panel just for good measure. I have also used dynamat behind the door panel and around the window motor and stuff so that nothing moves!!!

So here is the problem,- The mid has this annoying vibration thats seems like its comming from right behind the driver at reasonably loud volumes (20 and above on my alpine 9887 with my amp gains at between half and 3/4) I'm using the passive crossover (the speakers are Polk SR 6500's) so I know that Im not driving frequencies that are too low. I was forced to set the amp crossover at around 80 or maybe more to eliminate this, but when I do this I lose most of my upfront bass and my soundstage gets pulled to the rear of my vehicle where the sub is. I have used the SR's full range before with the passive crossovers and had no problem playing it loud so I know its not the speakers. Infact when I lift the speaker from the enclosure - creating a gap between them; the vibration seems to disappear! I do know that Polk has recommended a minimal enclosure size of 0.4 cuFt, and my enclosure size is about 0.23 cuFt, but thats as big as I could possible go. Does anyone know if a smaller enclosure size would cause this crass-vibration effect on a mid driver??? Or is this a sound deadening issue???In which case I'm going to try out the clay option (See I finally got back to the topic of this thread :) ) Anyone who knows anything that can help; It will be much appreciated!!! thanks

Kiran

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok here are a few questions from someone whos never used clay... which I'm sure will benefit others out there like me ;) .... SO when u say you apply it (8 to 10 pounds of it) in tight enclosures, like the Kicks - doesnt this just fill out the entire enclosure??? Will you not be left with no room behind the speaker which means that the mid bass will end up really flat??? Am I missing something here? how do you guys apply this stuff and make it stick to the enclosure walls?

This info would be super useful since i'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to locate and stop some annoying vibration that I'm getting somewhere around / behind my mid driver. I have made an odd shaped fiberglass enclosure that is screwed directly onto my door panel. I have deadened the enclosure with 2 full tubes of silicone gel (inside and outside of the enclosure) and about a quarter inch of high density EVA foam. The enclosure is securely fastened to the door panel and has a layer of Silicone gel between itself and the door panel just for good measure. I have also used dynamat behind the door panel and around the window motor and stuff so that nothing moves!!!

So here is the problem,- The mid has this annoying vibration thats seems like its comming from right behind the driver at reasonably loud volumes (20 and above on my alpine 9887 with my amp gains at between half and 3/4) I'm using the passive crossover (the speakers are Polk SR 6500's) so I know that Im not driving frequencies that are too low. I was forced to set the amp crossover at around 80 or maybe more to eliminate this, but when I do this I lose most of my upfront bass and my soundstage gets pulled to the rear of my vehicle where the sub is. I have used the SR's full range before with the passive crossovers and had no problem playing it loud so I know its not the speakers. Infact when I lift the speaker from the enclosure - creating a gap between them; the vibration seems to disappear! I do know that Polk has recommended a minimal enclosure size of 0.4 cuFt, and my enclosure size is about 0.23 cuFt, but thats as big as I could possible go. Does anyone know if a smaller enclosure size would cause this crass-vibration effect on a mid driver??? Or is this a sound deadening issue???In which case I'm going to try out the clay option (See I finally got back to the topic of this thread :) ) Anyone who knows anything that can help; It will be much appreciated!!! thanks

Kiran

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,156 Posts
Bump for this thread I am now interested in doing my whole entire door outer shell with clay someone answer the questions

·
Registered
424 Posts
The clay is used to add mass to the enclosure to reduce the possibility of resonances. Adding it to your doors is going about doing this in the wrong way. If you wanted to add it to the mounting baffle that would make more sense. It just doesn't make any sense to line an entire door with clay when you consider the property of clay and how it's going to have to be applied and how it's going to stick (or not going to stick) in a large vertical flat sheet.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this thought that clay is a mess.

We've been using is for years and have never run into a single issue. 117 degree days and it's never run, never melted, etc.

Not sure I understand this issue that everyone runs into....???
Seriously. Me either. I see you're in Texas, too.

I'm a huge fan, have used several brands and varieties, have heated it up in the oven, and I can't make the stuff fail. What am I doing wrong here? Help, please. ;););)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
that poor 7000lb Corolla :(
I'll risk sounding like a critical a-hole to say that we need just as many "what NOT to do's" as "what TO do's" in this hobby, IMHAO. Like any other hobby where people really get into it, there's always those that get sucked into groupthink and drown in the process.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts