DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In searching for a cheap but decent 5-ch for the work truck I saw these. Specs look good as far as THD and S/N. They have copper traces in them, like DLS and older PG amps, have bipolar outputs and are Darlington, doesnt say if its triple or the standard double. But it has piqued my interest for a cheap 5-ch amp.

Here is one of their monos where you can see the traces. Just cusrious if anyone has used one of this line of amps personally. I am not looking for " I think" comments

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Alphasonik_PMA1200-DA/inside1.jpg

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Never used them but that amp's gut picture looks pretty beefy to me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
if you're looking for cheap and decent, why does it matter. buy what works. you can't expect the world from a 170 dollar amp

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you posted this on caraudio.com yet? ;) :p
Ya I have been reading over there, mixed feelings, some like them, other say they dont but I gather the ones that say they are cheap havent used one or atleast none of them have said they have used them and didnt like them. I did find someone that has the amp in question but I dont think he knows what he is talking about, or atleast I gather that from his other posts.

O well, might just have to get something else, other amp I was lookjing at was trying the Rubicon 5.800 or the LIL Wonder version. It is only gonna power a 8 and some components passive

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They have been around over twenty years (that's the last time I ever used them in an install). They were decent amps. Made their power but NO more. Durability was good not great. If I remember their clarity was OK but they were susceptable to induced noise.

No idea how they have changed since then...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alphasonic was my first sub amp powering two 10" Earthquakes in 1992. Worked fine...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Double post. Dont know what happened

·
Registered
33 Posts
not sure if they have gone bust now anyway

visonik, ma audio and alpha sites have all been removed

clif design site remains though

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ya I have been reading over there, mixed feelings, some like them, other say they dont but I gather the ones that say they are cheap havent used one or atleast none of them have said they have used them and didnt like them. I did find someone that has the amp in question but I dont think he knows what he is talking about, or atleast I gather that from his other posts.

O well, might just have to get something else, other amp I was lookjing at was trying the Rubicon 5.800 or the LIL Wonder version. It is only gonna power a 8 and some components passive
I think you missed the joke on that one.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but if it were me I would look for something with resale value. That way if it doesn't accomplish quite what you want you can sell it and try something else.

The lack of desired response to your question is enough to dissuade me from ever bothering with that amp . Good luck on the search!

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not laughing, but have you looked at other brands in the same price range?
Ya i have, i will be going with something alittle higher in the chain then this, i was just more or less wondering if anybody has ran one, I was never sold on this, but if someone could actually confirm this was a decent amp it would be a contender for the work truck. I will probably just wait out for a deal on a 4-ch from ebay for a good price

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
But, what about all your modified Ell Pee amplifiers? I can't believe someone would run Alphasonik over the best technology that was available 20 years ago. :p

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But, what about all your modified Ell Pee amplifiers? I can't believe someone would run Alphasonik over the best technology that was available 20 years ago. :p
I only had that one 2.2 that was new in the box from CA, I actually sold it last week to some guy on Ebay, made quite a good profit on that one:laugh:

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I only had that one 2.2 that was new in the box from CA, I actually sold it last week to some guy on Ebay, made quite a good profit on that one:laugh:
I can't believe someone paid $400 for my TIPS modified LP 150. I had a whopping $200 in that amp.

Sadly, my only offers on the TIPS modified 1752 were from scammers. One guy wanted me to violate eBay policy by ending the auction and accepting a money order. Another guy wanted me to ship to Italy but eat the shipping.

The Italian dude scammed someone I know by claiming non-delivery just like the dude from Malaysia did to him. I can't believe my buddy didn't learn to ship UPS or FEDEX with delivery confirmation after the first burn.:(
The other dude got irritated when I said I would only accept a USPS money order AFTER the close of the auction, so that was a big red flag too. I'll wait until the LP market picks up before listing on eBay again.:D

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't believe someone paid $400 for my TIPS modified LP 150. I had a whopping $200 in that amp.

Sadly, my only offers on the TIPS modified 1752 were from scammers. One guy wanted me to violate eBay policy by ending the auction and accepting a money order. Another guy wanted me to ship to Italy but eat the shipping.

The Italian dude scammed someone I know by claiming non-delivery just like the dude from Malaysia did to him. I can't believe my buddy didn't learn to ship UPS or FEDEX with delivery confirmation after the first burn.:(
The other dude got irritated when I said I would only accept a USPS money order AFTER the close of the auction, so that was a big red flag too. I'll wait until the LP market picks up before listing on eBay again.:D
Some people just got to have the LP's, I didnt get a chance to use it of coarse but I think the guts looked pretty good on the 2.2.

I sold it for $680 to a guy in Japan and then he paid $100 to ship it on top of that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts