DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here
Since I need a cheap 6.5 inch preferably four ohm midbass to go IB in my doors. They will be for a three way setup and only playing midbass. I'm hoping I will be able to remove the shielding. And the small XMAX scares me but the graphs seem to indicate they play decently low. Also I don't know if they will be ok IB. But barring advice, I'm going to get these. I'd spend up to $60/driver but I honestly don't know what is out there that would be better.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
$60 a driver? Get some Seas CA18RNX/P's. MUCH better Imo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Seas are 8ohm though, and are at the very top of my budget, never used 8ohm drivers before, is that going to be a problem?

Also these are not going to be playing high; I have Rainbows for the midrange. I'm looking for something cheap I can pop in my doors and hit the low stuff IB.

And it says they are 7". The absolutely can't be more than 6.7" or they won't fit in my fiberglass door panels.

·
Registered
530 Posts
8 ohm drivers are fine. Not to mention your amp will thank you for it :D Easier load for the amp so it runs cooler. Anyway, if you can muster up $12 more you can pick up a pair of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-410

npdang said the bass performance on these were pretty good so for a dedicated midbass they will be just fine. Also, they will fit your door pods better than the seas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, I'm afraid 60 a pop is all I'm willing to spend on the truck right now, my home audio budget is gobbling up my cash at a scary pace.

If 8ohm are no problem, These look really sexy, and are well within my price range.

I'm still not sure on what parameters to look for for IB use. All the drivers seem to give enclosure specs and never say anything about IB.

EDIT:dammit, the frequency response plot for that vifa^ looks terrible, as in not playing flat beneath 100hz at all. How can it be so hard to find a cheap midbass driver? This is like the thirtieth post I've made on this topic.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
A driver like that vifa can easily play flat to 30-40hz in a car door. There's alot of great midbass options within your budget.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, I'm going to buy those Vifas tonight because the man has spoken lol. :)
Based on the frequency response graphs PE had, the vifa looked like it dropped like a rock under 100hz. I've come to realize I don't fully understand parameters and graphs, and thus suck at internet speaker shopping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently PE won't have the Vifas till feb. Please excuse me I'm going to go pound my head into my bedroom wall. I have a nice little dent going.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts