DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do the Dayton RS-225-4 drivers model really well as a sub?

I just spent about 3 hours modelling the drivers I have access to in Winisd to figure out my sub stage. Of all of the choices I have (1 or 2 PPI Art 12sq's, 1 MB Quart RWE-304, 1 JL 12w1v2.4, and 2 Dayton RS-225-4,) the Dayton's model the best.

3 cubic foot ported for 2 of them (which I realize seems like I huge box for 2 8's, but I have the space in my spare tire well,) tuned to 33 hz is pretty much dead flat from 100hz down, and the 3db down point is 33! Also, with the power I have available they had a 4-5db lead over the other drivers too! :eek:

Someone tell me I'm crazy for thinking of running these instead of the other choices....

-Ben

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Have YOU spent any time with the ppi art sq's? They should be the winner here.
Let me see what i get out of winisd pro and i'll get back with you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That doesn't seem right at all

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have YOU spent any time with the ppi art sq's? They should be the winner here.
Let me see what i get out of winisd pro and i'll get back with you.

Only if you count having them setting on a shelf in the shop waiting to get a box built! *facpalm*

I'd be curious to see what you can get on them. I have basically up to 3 cubes of airspace total available.

Thanks!

-Ben

·
Registered
898 Posts
I get 110dB max. -3 at 33Hz at 107.5dB. If I was you, I would look at the *Subwoofer* option instead of the speaker one. -3 at 33Hz at 107.5dB

Make sure you set the max power to 80 watts and watch out for cubic CM and that mumbo jumbo.

Modeling 2 8" SUBWOOFERS for you :D (ones I posted).

Likes sealed the subwoofer. -3 at 52 Hz at 108.5dB and box size is .9 cubes. This is perfect for it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Spend more time listening and less time modeling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get 110dB max. -3 at 33Hz at 107.5dB. If I was you, I would look at the *Subwoofer* option instead of the speaker one. -3 at 33Hz at 107.5dB

Make sure you set the max power to 80 watts and watch out for cubic CM and that mumbo jumbo.

Modeling 2 8" SUBWOOFERS for you :D (ones I posted).
Nick,

I know that the 225's aren't designed as subwoofers, but I have them on hand and was curious to see what they'd do.

If you could model the PPI Art sq 12's to see what you can come up with, that would be mucho appreciated. I have a max of 3 cubic foot of space to work with for either 1 or the pair, and about 450 watts of power (Aura rpm2300 at 4 ohm mono.)

Thanks!

-Ben

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Modeled those, came up with 15lit/0,530ft^3 sealed (Qtc 0,84) handles about 55W input before running out of Xmax at 98dB-50Hz. Add cabin gain and you might be able to run them down to 30Hz or so, power output will be limited though with that Xmax.

Ported they will reach a [email protected] with a 33lit/1,165ft^3 - [email protected] Good power handling between 33-47Hz.

Just saying what WinISD tells me, have no experience with these drivers whatsoever ;)

Edit: By those I mean the Dayton drivers ofc

·
Registered
898 Posts
Need the modeling info before I can help you.

Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Need the modeling info before I can help you.

Nick
T/S parameters for the PPI's?

Here they are:

fs: 25.205
qms: 12.07
vas: 3.381 ft3
cms: .293 mm/n
mms: 136.261 g
rms: 1.786 kg/s
Xmax: 13.85 mm
Xmech: 20.78 mm
Piston Diameter: 9.729 in
Sd: 74.4 in2
qes: .612
re: 7.2
z: 8 ohm
bl: 15.933 tm
rms power: 300 watts
qts: .583
No: .242 %
1w/1m: 85.85 spl
vc diameter: 2.5 in
Impedance: DVC 4 ohm
M-vd: .177 ft3

Straight From PPI's website/owners manual, as I don't have the equipment to test my individual drivers myself.

-Ben

·
Registered
79 Posts
People are often baffled when cheap speakers that are not brand name out-perform brand name speakers but it's quite common. Brand name speakers are marked up because of the name, some of the best speakers, and cheapest comparatively are from brands that aren't as well known and often not car audio brands.

my 2cents

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Somethings up with my alpha edition of winisd. Every thing just froze up on me when i was in th middle of adding the specs for the ppi subs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
PPI requires over a 7 cube box. I would say those won't work for you. For 2 of them.

If you did one of them at 3 cubes, that would work perfectly.

Xmax is passed at 37Hz and mechanical is never going to be an issue. You would need a filter to protect your driver FYI. Ported is out of the question as it won't work for your sub. Since it is sealed, it requires more power to hit its limits but still recommend a SSF.

IMHO, that PPI is not a good sub from reading these graphs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys. Box building commences today. I'll post back here with results. :)

-Ben

·
Registered
898 Posts
What sub did you decide to use?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Working with the PPI sub/subs for now. We'll see how they turn out and then go from there.

-Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just as an update, I got one of the a.12sq's put in yesterday. 3 cubes sealed (spare tire well box, fiberglassed that I've been working on for awhile.) It still needs break-in time and tuning. I'm having issues getting my 2x8 Minidsp up and running, so right now the sub is running with the internal crossover from my rpm2300 off of the sub out on my deck.

So far, so good though, sound wise. It's really musical, surprisingly tight/quick, and the low end extension is MASSIVE! I know I'm getting cabin gain that is helping that out (car is a Volvo 850 wagon,) but my low-end extension is killing my buddies Passat sedan that currently has 2 old school M&M 10's, and previously had 2 Oz superman 10's in it.

Today's project will be to try to get the Minidsp up and running so I can start tuning on it. :)

-Ben

·
Registered
898 Posts
Glad my recommendation worked perfectly for you sir :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts