looking at the

1) revelator 12M/4631G but ooooh so costly
2) cdt o4 5" oooog so costly lol
3) CSS FR125s this thing LOOKS CRAZY up to 20 KHZ flat WHOA

ideas??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is a soft dome mid down to 500hz not an option?
Maybe those LPG Npdang has on sale, or heck some DLS 3" I hear those can play down to 315hz.

You could buy the Dayton 2" soft dome mid & remove the rear chamber to get you by. Although the 6" diameter may be an issue.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah im consdiering the dome mids at this point , specifically the lpg dome

but I keep reading that its better to have the midrange played by a cone versus a dome??

I read somewhere over on ECA that is less directional and the cones allow for a wider sound area vs the domes which are pretty centralized as to the soudn output

am I wrong on this???\\\

the domes would be sweet as they would be easier to install closer to my tweets

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well we all have our preferreces if you know what I mean...

But ultimately, you can make the domes work. Some of the best cars I've listened to use domes.

I'm not trying to say cones are not better... heck I am one that would rather have a wide band cone mid play from 5khz-100hz... but considering your application, perhaps spending the extra effort on a dome may be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What about the Vifa 10BGS? (MG10 in the US, I believe.) It is the second best midrange driver I've heard that'll fit in 5" or less, cost no object. (The best I've heard is the long out-of-print Audax HM130Z0.) If you're just using it as a midrange, the bass performance advantage of the Adire/CSS drivers basically vanishes. I've not heard them so I can't comment on their midrange performance compared to the 10BGS.

The other drivers you listed are not, IMO, in the same league as the 10BGS, which has a beautifully detailed midrange, great distortion performance from the upper bass up, and flat response well into the top octave.

Our gracious host has a pair for sale that's a screaming deal, as well...

·
Registered
120 Posts
DS-21 said:
What about the Vifa 10BGS? (MG10 in the US, I believe.) It is the second best midrange driver I've heard that'll fit in 5" or less, cost no object. (The best I've heard is the long out-of-print Audax HM130Z0.) If you're just using it as a midrange, the bass performance advantage of the Adire/CSS drivers basically vanishes. I've not heard them so I can't comment on their midrange performance compared to the 10BGS.

The other drivers you listed are not, IMO, in the same league as the 10BGS, which has a beautifully detailed midrange, great distortion performance from the upper bass up, and flat response well into the top octave.

Our gracious host has a pair for sale that's a screaming deal, as well...
actually I bought them :p

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Most of the good deals are gone unfortunately, including the mg10, aurasound 3", and the lpg domes.

I still have the PL 4", as well as 2 pairs of the 2" Aura whispers.

Like Ds-21 said, I don't think the cost of the CSS mids can be justified in this case... Imho of course.

The best driver Imho would be the Aura 3"... unless you really need something with alot more dynamics... the Aura is easily a cut above Vifa and maybe even Revelator etc. in terms of midrange detail, as well as being able to play smoothly from 200-4khz. It's weakness Imho is the rather low sensitivity, and 3" size.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Are you set on a cone? What about these?

Solen Electronique Inc.

Sorry, but with all the posts being dredged up from the dead I just wanted to get in on the action. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.