DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading on bcae1.com concerning my old amps (Sony MX-3520 circa 1989, Clarion APA4101 circa 1998). I used to run the rear channels of the Clarion bridged with 2 Infiniti Reference 6x9's parallel. I am assuming those speakers were 4 ohms each. I ran that for a long time.
Now I read that the amp may have been actually seeing a 1 ohm load, rather than a 2 ohm load.
My question is, how can I find out if these amps are "2 ohm mono stable" or not. I can't find any data sheet on the Clarion, and I did find a pdf in rough shape on the sony. Nothing in the pdf mentioned anything about stability while bridged, but it did say that the speaker impedance could be 2 - 8 ohms.

Any input would be great, thanks!

I've run across specs that people typed out when they are trying to sell the clarion, this is what I've come across:

Clarion APA4101

4 x 25W @ 4 ohms
4 x 40W @ 2 ohms
2 x 65W @ 4 ohms

-----------
I have a Clarion APA 4041 for sale.

Power Type: 160 watt 4 channel @ 2 ohms

------------------

Great smaller amp for budget installs. Fully functional. Has high, or low pass, or off switches. As well it is bridgeable and has a built in 25v fuse.

At 2 ohms it will run 4x40 or 2x80 or 1x80 and 2x40
At 4 ohms it will run 4x25 or 2x50 or 1x50 and 2x25

Attachments

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if it is 2-8ohm stable in stereo, then it is 4-16ohm stable in bridged mode. your bridged stability will ALWAYS be double the stereo spec.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you know anything about the Clarion? In general, are amps ever 2-ohm mono stable? If they were, would you not be aware of it?
I only ask, because I ran that 4-channel Clarion with the rear bridged on a 2-ohm load (2 x 6x9's parallel) for something like 4 years, (98 - 2002?) The fronts were running 3.5's high pass crossover. I just hooked up the amp the other day and it seems to work just fine. Am I lucky? Or did I seriously damage that amp?

I did run that Sony bridged with 2 x6" coaxials last week. I couldn't keep my hand on the heatsink for more than a second after running it hard for about 20 minutes. Probably a good idea to stay away from that setup then?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Thanks, do you know anything about the Clarion? In general, are amps ever 2-ohm mono stable? If they were, would you not be aware of it?
nope, if it is 2ohm stable in stereo, then it is 4ohm stable bridged. if you want to know why, I can explain it :)
I only ask, because I ran that 4-channel Clarion with the rear bridged on a 2-ohm load (2 x 6x9's parallel) for something like 4 years, (98 - 2002?) The fronts were running 3.5's high pass crossover. I just hooked up the amp the other day and it seems to work just fine. Am I lucky? Or did I seriously damage that amp?
did the amplifier run hot? with some amplifiers it is not a death sentence. Clarion are a good product and will tolerate some abuse. I will say, you more than likely had alot more distortion than if it were run correctly and you more than likely got less power out of it because of it being loaded so heavily. If it still works, its not damaged. Just do it right from now on ;) other amplifiers wont take abuse like that for as long as that one did, lol.
I did run that Sony bridged with 2 x6" coaxials last week. I couldn't keep my hand on the heatsink for more than a second after running it hard for about 20 minutes. Probably a good idea to stay away from that setup then?
if that was wired parallel, then it was bridged to 2ohms. I wouldnt do it again. that much heat will kill amplifiers much more quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Sony was bridged with the 2 x 6" coaxials parallel for a 2-ohm load. So the way I understand it, the amp saw the 2-ohm load, but since it bridged both channels inverting the voltage of one channel, doubling the voltage across both the voice coils, the amp was trying twice as hard to supply current and "saw" a 1-ohm load? And that's why I could have fried an egg on it?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
The Sony was bridged with the 2 x 6" coaxials parallel for a 2-ohm load. So the way I understand it, the amp saw the 2-ohm load, but since it bridged both channels inverting the voltage of one channel, doubling the voltage across both the voice coils, the amp was trying twice as hard to supply current and "saw" a 1-ohm load? And that's why I could have fried an egg on it?
more or less, yes. that is the way it works. that is the reason why you have to have double the impedance if you bridge it. a 4ohm bridged load presents a 2ohm load to each of the channels in the bridge. since the amplifier is 2ohm stable, this is ok. running 2 ohm bridged is really 1ohm per channel, as you said.

dont forget to grease the pan, the eggs will come out easier ;)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Most all amps were not 1 ohm stable per channel, only some soundstreams and a few hard core high current amps.....a few more high quality amps would do it but not recommended by the maker. Its kind of pointless today since you can buy an amp cheap with piles of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.