DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy recently got his w7 hooked up in his 2021 f150 and he was told by the installer/salesman that you can’t hook up old amps with new trucks. Said they draw to much power or something but he didn’t explain it so I was wondering if this is a thing? I’d rather not have to buy some special new amp for my 2019 ram but figured I’d start here with advices on this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
New trucks have wimpy alternators? I haven’t heard of that!
With that said, I mainly, with a few exceptions - run old amps.
In old cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FAUEE

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
So my buddy recently got his w7 hooked up in his 2021 f150 and he was told by the installer/salesman that you can’t hook up old amps with new trucks. Said they draw to much power or something but he didn’t explain it so I was wondering if this is a thing? I’d rather not have to buy some special new amp for my 2019 ram but figured I’d start here with advices on this.
That is a nice way to sell new amps.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Most new vehicles have larger alternators than older cars due to all of the electronics they now have. My 88 Mustang has a wimpy 75 amp alternator. Every other car that I have has 120 amp or better on them so that is not the case. You do still need to evaluate the electrical needs and consider upgrading if the amps you choose to run need more power from your cars charging system.

Reactions: tjk_bail

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah he said the installer told him it draws to much power and he’d have to run a 2nd alternator and another battery to run his alpine v12 amp.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yeah he said the installer told him it draws to much power and he’d have to run a 2nd alternator and another battery to run his alpine v12 amp.
They are trying to get a sale. The alternator on the new truck is larger than the one that came on the same model truck the year the amp was made.
More electronics. Bigger alternator. That truck has at least a 120amp alternator on it. At least. My 2015 f150 has a 190 amp. Factory.
Unless you are 2 of those for over 3k you are good.
Ofc power and a good ground it you are fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Most new vehicles have larger alternators than older cars due to all of the electronics they now have. My 88 Mustang has a wimpy 75 amp alternator. Every other car that I have has 120 amp or better on them so that is not the case. You do still need to evaluate the electrical needs and consider upgrading if the amps you choose to run need more power from your cars charging system.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The only thing I guess the salesman was trying to say maybe was class d vs class a/b being more efficient but that has nothing to do with not being able to run older amps. As others stated, you can certainly run older amps or equipment in a new car

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah right Rams have big ass alternators. At least the diesel ones do. Check what the amperage is on your alternator a couple google searches for a replacement and you will find out.. I bet its nowhere near needing a class D amp..

Now if you were driving a little sedan like I am then maybe.. but even then i see people all the time running all class A/B the current draw is never more than 40 amps when its blasting.. so unless you are into hearing damage then i dont think this is true...

And ya know if you get the system in and your lights are dimming voltage is dropping.. then maybe look at a class D or a bigger alternator.. but in a truck. i highly doubt it happening..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't believe it one bit. I am running all stock electrical with a big 3 upgrade in a 16 GMC Sierra. All 1/0 ofc. Not a problem at all. I would have never dare try this 25 years ago but today, as stated above modern electrical systems have come a long way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't believe it one bit. I am running all stock electrical with a big 3 upgrade in a 16 GMC Sierra. All 1/0 ofc. Not a problem at all. I would have never dare try this 25 years ago but today, as stated above modern electrical systems have come a long way. View attachment 306674
Oh my look at those amps! What’s smaller 2 pieces in the middle? Noob question I know…

·
Registered
33 Posts
2021 f150 and he was told by the installer/salesman that you can’t hook up old amps with new trucks
Does the truck have Auto Stop-Start? I understand some amps have issues staying powered on during one of these events. Older ones would be more likely to have the issue, some manufacturers specifically list compatibility with it now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the truck have Auto Stop-Start? I understand some amps have issues staying powered on during one of these events. Older ones would be more likely to have the issue, some manufacturers specifically list compatibility with it now.
No I don’t have remote start just regular turn key start

1 - 18 of 18 Posts