DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I hope someone can help me...I don't know much about car audio and need help. I have a '59 Chevy pick up that I'm doing and would like advice on setting up my iPod and which speakers to purchase.

I do like music very much (mostly classic rock) but like quality sound at moderate volumes, not huge volume and definitely not these big boxes behind the seat. :) I think I'm just going to have something in the kick panels, maybe a component system with a round speaker (size?) and tweeter. Would that be enough to create decent, full sound? What exactly do you recommend? Cutting holes in the dash or door aren't really an option but putting something behind the seat would probably be alright but I don't think I'm interested in these subwoofers. Educate me though, I could be wrong. There isn't much room behind the seat though either.

For music, I smoothed the dash so a head unit isn't an option either. I was planning to just use my iPod and did some research on the site. One person recommended the clarion eqs746 with a iSimple I76 cable. Sounds great but my only question is can you control the volume through the iPod or does it have to be on the clarion? I want everything to be out of sight and would like to just use the iPod or a remote volume knob that can be hidden.

I appreciate the help. Thanks very much.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Before spending money on components you'll need to know what will fit on your doors. Remove the panel and pull out the measuring tape. You'll want to know if you can fit a 6.5 etc and most important depth even though most of the time a baffle/spacer can make a driver have clearence it's always good to know what you can work with. As far as the ipod controls from what i know most units don't let you control the ipod through the ipod its self unless you use the AUX which will decrease the sound quality.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Find a cheap HU with USB iPod hook up instead of the clarion eq device. Just build a small enclosure behind or under the seat to put it in.

The size speakers is not alwyas a black and white choice. I have 5 1/4" with 12" sub; sounds good IMO. The advantage to a smaller speaker is that the kick panels can be made smaller.

As for sub, yes, get one or 2 small ones. Like 2- 6.5" subs behind the seats. Won't be real boomy but it is necessary to give good sound over the frequency range we hear.

You need an amp. A 5-channel would run the fronts and sub(s) easily. Like this Infinity Kappa Series 5-Channel Amplifier - Sonic Electronix . It is a tiny amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much. No problem, subs it will be then.

Could you recommend a 5-1/4" speaker with/without tweeters? These will go in the kick panels.

Can you recommend 6.5" subs? Can I go with just one or are they sold in pairs?

The amp you recommend is a little more than I want to spend. :) Can you recommend another about half that price!

Finally, I saw some head units that can plug into an iPod and have a remote.

JVC-KD-R520
Clarion CZ201
Sony CDX-GT550UI

Are these all about the same or is one a better choice. Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
977 Posts
What kind of budget do you have to work with for everything? Can you take some measurements behind the seat to see what kind of space you have to work with if you decide to do a sub or two? These things may give folks a better idea of what to recommend to you. Any pics of the truck? I love the classics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mires,

Well, not sure what my budget is. Here is what I know....I had another antique car, a '56 Chevy sedan, that I did about 5 years ago and I put a Custom Autosound radio in it. It's a "modern" stereo with iPod inputs and modern internals but looked like a radio from the '50's. It was junk. The stereo sounded awful so I think I might have turned it on once or twice. It also had a hidden antenna and that didn't work well either so I've decided since the truck has a smoothed dash, I'll just do something that only runs off an iPod.

I know I don't want something high end but not a real cheap sound. Just something that sounds pretty good and has enough volume to overcome the noises from the truck!

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to post pics of the truck but it says I need 5 posts so this is post #5. :) Next post will be pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mires,

It's still not letting me post pics.

As far as measurements...I don't have the seat mounted yet, I wanted to wait until I bought the radio and speaking things I need but you can see in the pic with the seat all the way back, there isn't much room! Does his help? How much room does a small subwoofer require?

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's a "modern" stereo with iPod inputs and modern internals but looked like a radio from the '50's. It was junk. The stereo sounded awful so I think I might have turned it on once or twice. It also had a hidden antenna and that didn't work well either so I've decided since the truck has a smoothed dash, I'll just do something that only runs off an iPod.

I know I don't want something high end but not a real cheap sound. Just something that sounds pretty good and has enough volume to overcome the noises from the truck!

Jeff
I have heard that about those classic looking stereos. You're going to have to have a head unit to run the Ipod through so you will have to mount it somewhere accessible. When you say you smoothed the dash, I assume that means you covered up the original radio opening?

Speaker wire brand doesn't really matter. Any 16 gauge speaker wire will work for what you are doing.

Are you planning on having custom kick pods made to house the front stage speakers or what do you have in mind there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mires,

For the kick panels, I was going to give a try at making some with fiberglass. I've looked at a few videos on youtube to get an idea and think I can probably figure that out. I wanted to buy the speakers ahead of time though so I can make the panels the right size.

I think I can make a tray of some sort under the seat but I'd rather not have to mess with the radio and just use the remote and my iPod.

jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try and post a pic of the dash. Yep, sorry...smooth means I welded the original radio opening closed. It was also torn up from someone in the last 50 years that cut holes to install a newer radio.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I will try and post a pic of the dash. Yep, sorry...smooth means I welded the original radio opening closed. It was also torn up from someone in the last 50 years that cut holes to install a newer radio.
]
Wow, that is REALLY clean looking. I can't offer much insight into the actual Ipod hookups and how it is controlled as I am not familiar with Ipods much. I just assumed they had to be controlled at the deck. Tons of people run them here though so someone will be able to help you with that aspect.

It looks like you have some fab skills so I'm sure you will be able to whip up some kick pods yourself.

I just noticed you were from Dallas. I grew up about an hour from you in Weatherford. I miss it every day!

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Yeah, nice work you're doing there.

For the HU, I would take your iPod, go to a store that will let you test the iPod functionality...specifically Sony, JVC, Pioneer and see which one works/sounds better. Two sets of preouts is a must and 2V or 2.5V is fine. The Sony does have Time Alignment (read about it if you want to know more).

There are hundreds of speakers that will fit and cover every price range. Read reviews to help you narrow it down. I would check these out Imagine I51-2 Component / Coaxial Speaker Set - 12v Electronics .

Maybe you could use a midbass behind the seats instead of a dedicated sub. (There are some threads on this also.) Like a pair of these Dayton Audio RS225-4 8" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm 295-376 . With Time Alignment this should work out pretty well I believe.

As for amps this will be hard to beat for the money VIBE Audio LiteBox Stereo 4 (LiteBox4) 4-Channel Amplifier . It will not work with a 2 ohm sub, but would be fine if you go the midbass route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you should look into the is76pro it has a remote control for the ipod and you could just add a line driver and a small amp. look into the arc audio xdi804 or xdi803 either one will work for the speakers in the kick panels and for the sub. for the sub check out the rockford fosgate p3shallow enclosure, itll be more than enough bass for you and its a very small enclosure.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
That is a cool device, but the cost doesn't make sense compared to the price of a decent HU >$100 with iPod control, AM/FM, crossovers, EQ, etc.

The ARC amps is a good recommendation and are small.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Would there be enough room in the glove box for the head unit? It’s a bit tough to tell from the picture.

If the headunit does go behind the glovebox door or under the seat you might want to look into an IR repeater system for the remote. You could bury the headunit and control the volume (another functions depending on the remote functionality) without having to see the headunit.

Assuming that you have a fixed budget (don’t we all! :laugh:) I humbly suggest you spend the X amount of dollars on the headunit+speakers+4 channel amp rather than headunit+speakers+amp+sub(s). If cost is the biggest concern, account for the subwoofers now in both space and wattage requirements and install them down the road) and focus the $ spent on the less equipment.
I haven’t seen mention of sound dampening for the truck… are you planning on using some (other than the carpet kit and padding)?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts