DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning, I was reading a few old posts (like 5 year old posts), and noticed a handful of names, that I haven't seen on this site for some time.
Just wondering whatever happened to these guys:

QualitySound
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/qualitysound.html

BuickGN
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/buickgn.html

DarthSQ (aka PPI-ART COLLECTOR)
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/darth+sq.html

sqnut
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/buickgn.html

ANT
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/ant.html

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I think honestly its a lot easier to communication with people through FB now days. Its faster, and more of a live feeling. 99.9% of users from here are on FB. to upload pictures its easier. That's what happen, users just got lazy and don't come here as often as they used too.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I don't post much, but i do look around and watch and read, this is where my hobby started, this is where SQ has joined my life.
Getting better understanding and education from DIYMA users.
Now when you go on FB and ask a silly or dummy question, you get made fun off, or people answer with rude comments, or simply post f-up gfi.

This place is different, anytime i had a questions, i was given help.. Thank You DIY-USERS!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think honestly its a lot easier to communication with people through FB now days. Its faster, and more of a live feeling. 99.9% of users from here are on FB. to upload pictures its easier. That's what happen, users just got lazy and don't come here as often as they used too.
I dont post here
as much as I used to, and I agree that FB destroyed majority of forums. It is simple to communicate and post pictures on FB, but I still prefer forums - you can find something posted whenever you want to, ...no such luck with FB.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
There were some passionate folks here back in the day.
In my case I took a tumble on a quad on my ranch and damaged my hearing. Audio wasn't any fun for a few years.

·
Listener of Music
3,335 Posts
I know 5 or 6 of the guys just moved on in life. Guys that were telling me to get on here years before I did. Almost all the people around me that were in to car audio and got me in to it no longer are. They are only in the early 40's. Only us strong ones hold on!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm curious, do you churn your own butter or do you buy it from a store? Is your mode of transportation powered by an internal combustion engine or a fleet of Clydesdale's? By your own logic, if you're buying anything instead of making it yourself, aren't you just being lazy? ;) Ironically, the suggestion that low forum participation is because people are lazy is, in my opinion, intellectually lazy.

UNPOPULAR OPINION:

Consider, perhaps, the reason a lot of people aren't participating in this beloved forum, or forums in general, aren't because they are lazy, but more so because (and not limited to) other platforms are more intuitive & easier to use; i.e. posting pictures. The "Forum" platform, as much as they "update" it, is a relic; additionally, I'm more inclined to think more and more people have joined the silent majority and simply don't comment any longer due to the natural toxic environment that is the car audio community. Consider myself as an example; in my 5 year tenure I've amassed an impressive 40 (ish) total comments. This isn't due to a lack of willingness to participate, but more to an observation of the aforementioned toxic mentality that is thrown upon the few "noobs" who dare ask "What's the best amplifier?" or "What's the best $200 components?". These questions are often met with "Learn how to search" or "Save a few more thousand dollars & buy Audiofrog". I think you'd agree that these aren't helpful replies, and as a generalization, people seemed to be more concerned with being right than being helpful.

The community has stifled growth & the eagerness to learn. That's why your elders have left.

Full Stop.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Toxic, if you give a * about what people say on the internet you need to go back to school. That said you have to be better than some people in order to not say nasty stuff, to help out a newb, etc. Sure some people should do some reading before asking, but that seems to have always been a permanent trend. I was on here a while doing a car and stuff it was fun, then I got busy with other things. I take a look here when I have time. I like forums because you can learn way more about X, its way faster than videos, its a great resource for specific things. If you have a Jeep you never need to buy a manual for it, for example. Sometimes it is just the amount of free time I have, sometimes I do and sometimes not. But life moves on and hard to say where it might take you. While I may want to be installing new subs in my car it just might be way down on the list.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
This morning, I was reading a few old posts (like 5 year old posts), and noticed a handful of names, that I haven't seen on this site for some time.
Just wondering whatever happened to these guys:

QualitySound
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/members/qualitysound.html
Don't know.

I know he was in Bakersfield working in the oil industry, but he just kind of disappeared and hasn't been back. Maybe he finally got married or moved on to another hobby?

Bret is still around. He is active on some FB groups and is getting back into competition. He is on Team WCA and Team SSQ and Team Soundstream. I just saw him a few weeks ago at an event in Fresno.

Don't know.

Don't care.

I arrived here at what I consider a point of transition on the site. Before I joined this place was a gold mine for technical discussion and objective testing. Since then, it has gone progressively down hill. Most of those old contributors have long since left. Either to other online forms of discourse, or left online communication or the community as a whole. So yeah, I think it all changed when I showed up. I triggered the slow, painful death of DIYMA. You're welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts