DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently did a video review comparing 4 Old School "cheater" amps. This is not designed cover ALL old school cheater amps, but the ones I happen to own.

Here are the amps in my overview:

1) Rockford Fosgate Punch 45HD - I consider this amp a "cheater" because it was underrated and would handle 1ohm loads even though it was not rated to do so. My Punch 45HD was birthed at 91.1 watts/ch into 2 ohm loads, although it was rated at 35 watts/ch into 2 ohms.

2) Orion 225 HCCA (Digital Reference) - One of the most feared cheater amps of the early 90's. It was rated to handle loads as low as 1/2 ohm in stereo and 1 ohm mono. It was rated to output 200x2 or 400x1 into these loads. However, for competition's sake, it was rated at 25 watts x 2 into 4 ohms.

3) Precision Power Pro Mos 25 - PPI's cheater amp rated at 25x2 into 4 ohms and designed to handle loads down to 1 ohm stereo or 2 ohms mono. The one I display in the video is an Art Series, there were also versions in black.

4) Phoenix Gold MPS-2240 - from PG's "Mobile Professional Series" line, the MPS-2240 was Phoenix Gold's least expensive MPS series amp (which replaced the MPS-2220). It was rated at 24x2 into 4 ohms and designed to handle 1/2 ohm stereo or 1 ohm mono loads where it was rated to put out 288 watts total. I don't have numbers to back it up, but this rating appears to be very conservative.

Again, this video is only an overview of each amp, not designed to be an extensive review. I may put each amp head to head in tests in the near future....so stay tuned!

Click the link if you prefer to see the video in HD (720 or 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSrU26CJeA&hd=1

------

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
2.2HV 12.5W x2 RMS .............1500 Watts

3.2HV 25W x2 RMS ................2100 Watts

4.1HVS 75W x1 @ 8 Ohms ....3000 Watts

The cheaters were not all rated for lower ohms [ 1/2 , 1 ohm ], some were just rated for more wattage.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Way cool Vid !! I ran a MTX Terminator MTA 225 to 4 rockford fosgate twelves back in the day . I would always tell people it was just a 50 watt amp lol

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way cool Vid !! I ran a MTX Terminator MTA 225 to 4 rockford fosgate twelves back in the day . I would always tell people it was just a 50 watt amp lol
Those MTA 225's were made by PPI, right? Nice amps nonetheless and more powerful than the 2000 watt Pyramid amps! Not bad for a "50 watt amp".

--

·
Registered
369 Posts
Those MTA 225's were made by PPI, right? Nice amps nonetheless and more powerful than the 2000 watt Pyramid amps! Not bad for a "50 watt amp".

--
If I remember it was just a PPI ProMos 25 . My buddy back in the day was a Blade dealer. We put this little monster up against some tough competition and were always amazed at how hard it would hit and what it would drive.
I ran the thing at 1 ohm mono and believe me, we did not go easy on it ever lol The thing never broke a sweat and out performed amps costing ten times as much .
Not my pic..

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I remember it was just a PPI ProMos 25 . My buddy back in the day was a Blade dealer. We put this little monster up against some tough competition and were always amazed at how hard it would hit and what it would drive.
I ran the thing at 1 ohm mono and believe me, we did not go easy on it ever lol The thing never broke a sweat and out performed amps costing ten times as much .
Not my pic..

Yeah, this amp just looks MEAN! I don't want to offend any PPI fans, but I always thought the art series PPI amps looked a little sissy...

--

·
Registered
369 Posts
I ran an PG MQ430 and MS275 for awhile. 30 watts x 4 lol yea right ;) Maybe not a "cheater" per say but I'd take 30 watts at 12.5 volts of old school PG power over 150 watts of new garbage any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
True, do you know when PG replaced the 2220 with the 2240? Prob the same time the 250 was replaced with the 275?
Oh man its been a while, but if I recall....the 250 was some of their earliest amps and was replaced with the 275 the following year. Other then that I dont remember when the MPS versions came out. But the MPS only came in white from what I can see, which means they are the second series of amps which places them in 1991~1993ish?

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the PG FAQ, the MS/MPS amps were produced between 1992-1995:

MS/MPS Amplifiers

They are, however, listed in my April 2006 version of the Car Audio and Electronics "Directory" as being current models. I believe they were replaced with the ZX series around this time (1996).

I just purchased a gray MS-275 from the original owner and he said he purchased it new in 1993. It has the orig box, manual and birthsheet. Too bad the birthsheet only shows THD, not tested output power!

I recall one of the Car Audio mags testing an MS-250 and it being way underrated. I can't remember the exact output, but it was somewhere around 80 w/ch into 4 ohms and 350 bridged @ 4 ohms (rated 50x2 or 200x1). Maybe someone can dig up that issue and scan the article so we all can see?

--

1 - 12 of 12 Posts