DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
641 - 660 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody my name is Steve and I am from Germany. I just bought myself a Clarion ARX 9270R. Acutally I am also waiting for a DPH9100 to go with it. I have a few questions.

I saw this Video on youtube about the ARX9270 and I really liked the screen saver options. But it seems now that have my headunit that only the Version without the R has the screen saver options.

Can anyone confirm that or in other words what are the differences between the R and the non R Version ?

I think someone in this thread mentioned that some important features are missing in the R Version. Also is there anywhere a manual as PDF for this hu to find? Mine came with nothing :).

Thank you guys so much. I am glad I found some guys who like those old headunits as much as I do.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Do you have pics you could post?

Also, is the model number on the face ARX9270R? Or is it ARX9270#R on the sticker on the unit itself?

Great pieces for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everybody my name is Steve and I am from Germany. I just bought myself a Clarion ARX 9270R. Acutally I am also waiting for a DPH9100 to go with it. I have a few questions.

I saw this Video on youtube about the ARX9270 and I really liked the screen saver options. But it seems now that have my headunit that only the Version without the R has the screen saver options.

Can anyone confirm that or in other words what are the differences between the R and the non R Version ?

I think someone in this thread mentioned that some important features are missing in the R Version. Also is there anywhere a manual as PDF for this hu to find? Mine came with nothing :).

Thank you guys so much. I am glad I found some guys who like those old headunits as much as I do.
Hi
I have the ARX9170, it failed after 17 years, so I brought the ARX9170R thinking it would be the same. Wrong :eek:
The ARX9170R has the Radio RDS but no spectrum analyzer. And the ARX9170 has the analyzer but no RDS.
I managed to find another ARX9170 from Australia.

Maybe the ARX9270R is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I also think they are not the same :) (ARX 9270 and ARX9270R).

In my opinion the only difference between the ARX 9170R and ARX9270R is the color of the Display. But soon I will know more about this cause I will also get a ARX9170R in the next days. Still disapointed cause I thought it has the functions of the Version without the R. Maybe they had to eliminate some functions in order to have enough memory space processor power for the RDS function..... I guess no one has a manual of the ARX9120 (R) or ARX 9270 (R) :) ?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Time to revive this thread. I've got some great pieces coming in the next few days. A HU from 2004 and two amps from the late 80's, early 90's.

My Christmas should start to arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have other things I need to take photos of as well, I have the manual you're after. My time is extremely Limited, do I will try my hardest to get these and the otter then and posted this weekend.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the info,

I saw one on Ebay couple days ago complete with CDC605 cd changer.It got sold..:(

There is a member in the classified
Section here that has an ADCS-1 system still
New in the box which is based off of the 7770. Not sure how much you want to dive in to Old School Clarion gear but it is the absolute best of the 5790/6770/7770 era. I owned one about 15 years ago and it was an absolutely amazing piece of equipment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a member in the classified
Section here that has an ADCS-1 system still
New in the box which is based off of the 7770. Not sure how much you want to dive in to Old School Clarion gear but it is the absolute best of the 5790/6770/7770 era. I owned one about 15 years ago and it was an absolutely amazing piece of equipment.
Got it..thanks..i will look into it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I just bumped the ADCS-1 that is for sale.

I'll warn you though, it's a very advanced piece even by todays standards. The seller is asking $1200 plus shipping from Alaska. It wont be cheap, probably around $100 or more. Mine cost me $135 shiping from Canada. It comes in a big box and is heavy.

To say that the ADCS-1 was based off of the 7770 is like saying that the Corvette is based off of the Camaro.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just bumped the ADCS-1 that is for sale.

I'll warn you though, it's a very advanced piece even by todays standards. The seller is asking $1200 plus shipping from Alaska. It wont be cheap, probably around $100 or more. Mine cost me $135 shiping from Canada. It comes in a big box and is heavy.

To say that the ADCS-1 was based off of the 7770 is like saying that the Corvette is based off of the Camaro.
Thanks for the ADCS-1 bump..oh man..that's too much for me..lol..i am building old school retro 92 Honda Civic Si hatch right now and i have Clarion 920EQ ..i just need simple Clarion 6770 or 7770...there is one on Ebay right now 6770 for sale $315+shipping...it's a bit too much for me
Mr.Green..do you have one for sale?.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sorry, I don't. I Only have one in my collection.
I'm a bit upset at the seller of the current 6770 on eBay. If it's the one I think it is, he bought it on eBay for around $100, now asking 3x that. I understand flipping, but.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry, I don't. I Only have one in my collection.
I'm a bit upset at the seller of the current 6770 on eBay. If it's the one I think it is, he bought it on eBay for around $100, now asking 3x that. I understand flipping, but.....
ok..good to know..let me send him my offer,lets see if he bites...thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I was wondering, has anyone here ever had one of the clarions in the 80s rx7 (seperate tuner, eq, and tape deck)? how did they compare to clarions aftermarket gear/ aftermarket in general at the time?
Came across your post while searching for something else. I picked up an '85 RX7 last year with 20,000 original miles and an untouched factory stereo system.

This was above and beyond nicer than any 80's radio I experienced, although I must admit my experience is limited to a handful of Fords and Chryslers with speakers so cheap they were destroyed by the time I took ownership. In comparison, the Clarion system held up well. The front speakers were slightly damaged from years of climate fluctuation but still worked fine while the more robust rear speakers were like new. This was a modular system and consisted of a tuner, tape deck, and optional EQ. Line-level signal was then sent to a pair of Clarion amps mounted behind the seats, roughly the size of today's class-d micro amps and were supposedly each rated for 25 watts x 2. The bane of the system was the center console fader joystick. It was easy to hit by accident, it was very touchy, and would occasionally cause certain channels to cut out. Radio reception was passable but not acceptable by today's standards. The quality improved immensely when listening to cassettes of appropriate vintage.

Being a car audio enthusiast, it didn't take long for me to start messing with the system. First I just tried aux-input with one of those cassette tape adapters. This clearly was cutting sound below 100Hz so I gave up on it. Next I tried an antenna adapter but those failed miserably. Finally, I read through the workshop manual and learned how the bus system works between each of the modules. I hooked up a 1/8" aux jack in the audio signal path and used a relay and a switch to trick the tuner into thinking the cassette was playing, while simultaneously making sure the cassette did not actually turn on. Voila, real aux input! Now I could really review the system. Oh wow, it's horrible once you get a quality signal. Replacing the speakers with aftermarket units only revealed how grainy the amps sounded...so I pulled those. Using most of the factory wiring I now have a mini class D amp powering front and rear speakers, the joy stick fader is bypassed, and I have a bluetooth module connected to my aux input. I can switch over to radio or cassette if I want, but whatever source I have I can still use the main volume and the EQ. It's pretty good now...but I wouldn't sell any of my modern equipment to have this. For my next iteration I will install a processor with it's own volume knob and multiple inputs. I'll bypass the head unit entirely for bluetooth source but have a way to switch to the radio and cassette deck whenever I want. I'll tune the system with the processor and just use the factory EQ to balance out the radio/cassette playback.

Anyway, to get back to your question, I'm guessing this unit was very similar to Clarion's aftermarket offerings of the time. Mazda charged quite a bit more for the models that came equipped with all the modules. However, what passed as really nice back in the 80's was a far cry from just about any OEM stereo offered a decade or two later.

A quick tip though, with the right connectors (which I found on Amazon) you could repurpose the EQ in another system. That's the great part about the modular radio!

641 - 660 of 672 Posts