DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys,long time lurker here.....

I have an 87 Buick Grand National and I have the itch to put in the system I wanted when I was a teenager.Been gathering for a minute and this is what I have:

AMPS:
1 of the 40dsm
1 of the 60ix
2 of the 200ix
1 of the 4020
1 of the 4080
1 of the 250m2

Head Unit and signal processor
Alpine 7998 and Alpine 7940
Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX2 with DSP card upgrade

Subs:
3 JL 10w6's
2 brand new 4 ohm Punch Power DVC 12's

Mids and Highs
MB Quart 5 1/4 components in Q Forms(dunno model but not very impressive)

I plan on putting at least 2 layers of sound deadening in the car and trunk.

I want somthing that is loud and sounds good enough to win some shows BUT still remains stock looking like RC's Buick.

I am thinking of finishing the trunk in vinyl and have the back seat modified like RC's so the sound can play through....is it neccesary or can I just have the ports thru the rear deck???

Anyone know how hard it would be to put 6.5's or 8's in the rear panels?I know RC had 2 12's in there but for the life of me I cannot figure out how....

And does anyone know anyone who has made custom kick panels for a Regal??Not door pods but kicks....door pods just look to stuck on to me...

Which subs do you think will be a better choice and why?I remember the 2 Power 10's I had in my Accord in a ported box with a 200ix on em slammed VERY hard with rap and hit killer lows with rock/alternative music.

Can anyone reccomend a good set of componets that would work well in my application?

What about horns?

What about good midbass speakers?

Sorry for all the ?'s guys,im sure ill have alot more for ya!!!Thanks.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You can also take a look at John Sketoe's car. Which is amazing and the build is sweet. Might check around the internet see if you can find some pics of his car also to help give you some ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the car with a 15" sub in the right rear trunk??

Personally,I dont really like anything ive seen besides Richard Clarks.I want a system that can be hidden from view....and I want it LOUD and CLEAN.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
NO. His car is pretty much stealth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered 4 72 sqft bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme....

Anyone have any pictures or anything they can link me too??Ive already seen Biggs and RC's car....

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

Anyone have any pictures or anything they can link me too??Ive already seen Biggs and RC's car....
i might be mistaken but isnt the largest pack of dynamat 36 sq ft?

·
Registered
555 Posts

I'm sorry but I'd have to call that an overkill waste of money, putting on more than one layer of CLD doesn't really improve anything in reducing panel resonances.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry but I'd have to call that an overkill waste of money, putting on more than one layer of CLD doesn't really improve anything in reducing panel resonances.
From my personal experience in my Dodge diesel,there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to sound deadener....It has over 500 sq ft and the roof isnt even done.....Its not all about helping sound,im trying to kill noise and if you think multiple layers doesnt cut down on exterior road noise you need a lesson....

If you owned or ever ridden in a turbo Regal with a single exhaust,youd know what im talking about resonance and interior noise.

Check ebay for the 72 sqft bulk packs....

·
Registered
555 Posts
From my personal experience in my Dodge diesel,there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to sound deadener....It has over 500 sq ft and the roof isnt even done.....Its not all about helping sound,im trying to kill noise and if you think multiple layers doesnt cut down on exterior road noise you need a lesson....

If you owned or ever ridden in a turbo Regal with a single exhaust,youd know what im talking about resonance and interior noise.

If you are using CLD for sound blocking and road noise you are even more misinformed than you sound. That is likely the most expensive and least effective way to block outside noise. If you spent less than half that money on a sheet of lead you would add less weight to the car and block much more noise than multiple layers of CLD.

Like I said, multiple layers don't really improve reduction of PANEL RESONANCES much, and CLD was NOT designed to be a sound barrier, but that is how you are (unfortunately) trying to use it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
RC's car was the pinnacle of stealth, just wish he would put it back together. Bigg's car was.... well I can't categorize it, but it was a fantastic car. John's car is great. Heard it last year, not sure if he's changing anything for this year. I didn't like every aspect of the car, but different strokes for different folks.

You're going to be adding a ton of weight, so you must not be worried about the performance aspect of the GN. I have the ATR 3" single shot on my TSM car, so I know what you're talking about with exhaust drone. Good luck.
John

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
NO. His car is pretty much stealth.
My car is stealth......if you call big ol' 8's pounding out of the door and 6.5's at your feet stealth. :p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

i'm going to suggest you rethink the amount of dynamat that you buy.

consider what you are trying to accomplish.

Dynamat is a vibration dampener, it doesn't block road noise as much as you would probably like.

Get some other products like mass loaded vinyl or lead to use as a sound barrier in conjunction with the proper amount of vibration damper.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree, there are much better solutions for blocking sound.

Mass loaded vinyl and lead can work wonders. If you research sound transmission loss, and STC you will quickly learn CLD mats don't have the qualities required to do it effectively.

Sure a bunch of layers of it will block noise, BUT you spend about 10 times more money that you needed to...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you guys think dynamat doesnt block noise AT ALL and just vibration,dont even reply in my thread because im speaking from experience,not what I have read and THINK I know about the product.Is it the best???Probably not and I never said it was....It is readily available,cheap,and I know it works though.

I will spend just as much on my stereo as I did this John

And its going in my street car with a 600rwhp engine.With the old system in the car,it already weighed over 4000lbs!!!!Its a fat ***** for sure but most GN drivers are 300lb pigs and im skinny so I can make up for a little stereo weight right there;)

If anyone has any constructive criticism and experience to back it up,fill me in....talking out of your ass doesnt do much for me......

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Well we have a second Tspence here on the forum now ^^^^. Already knows everything.

How the hell do you think the people on this forum know about lead, MLV ect. and what the limitations on deadener are.

I can tell you have nothing on 50% of the people on this forum when it comes to knowing about deadening.

Do some searching around here before just making assumptions and before making yourself look more like an ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well we have a second Tspence here on the forum now ^^^^. Already knows everything.

How the hell do you think the people on this forum know about lead, MLV ect. and what the limitations on deadener are.

I can tell you have nothing on 50% of the people on this forum when it comes to knowing about deadening.

Do some searching around here before just making assumptions and before making yourself look more like an ass.
Ok Professor....Its funny that this person that doesnt know jack ****(me) has a stereo in my daily worth more than your whole car.......

How do I think the people on here know bout lead and such?READING ABOUT IT,not actually using it.

How much lead do YOU,Genxx, have in your car?Ill bet not a bit.....

No offence but a 35yo that drives a fast and furious ricer Prelude with 1 cheap ass 12 that thinks he knows everything probably doesnt know ****......

If ricers and people with no experience think im an ass,so be it.....Know it all???Why am I asking questions then?And why are you guys anwsering questions that no one has even asked????

And since when is "if you say it,SHOW ME somthing to back it up" become a know it all????Its like saying "ive been to the moon" and someone saying "well if you have been to the moon,show me some proof"THats no know it all but a person who is not dumb enough to beleive everything any self proclaimed internet guru says......

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ok Professor....Its funny that this person that doesnt know jack ****(me) has a stereo in my daily worth more than your whole car.......

How do I think the people on here know bout lead and such?READING ABOUT IT,not actually using it.

How much lead do YOU,Genxx, have in your car?Ill bet not a bit.....

No offence but a 35yo that drives a fast and furious ricer Prelude with 1 cheap ass 12 that thinks he knows everything probably doesnt know ****......

If ricers and people with no experience think im an ass,so be it.....Know it all???Why am I asking questions then?And why are you guys anwsering questions that no one has even asked????
Wow, just wow. Ping tspence, get in here stat!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Its funny that this person that doesnt know jack ****(me) has a stereo in my daily worth more than your whole car...
= Fail.

You'll lose all credit with that line. Expensive equipment has jack to do with knowledge, just think about the name of this forum for a moment. Oh and your stereo is probably more expensive than my car too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Show me some proof gurus...since im so wrong,you should have millions of examples that are backed up with data like before and after microphone readings....SHOW ME OR SHUT THE **** UP.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts