DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Old school Motorized install 1995 -1999

Hi Here's my install from a few years ago.Thanks to those members who help me get the head unit running again.The car is a 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo.Thanks
See link below to watch video of system working.

See youtube video here.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an ARX9170 back then too...actually went through 2 or 3 of them, then a couple of 9270's before I gave up on Clarion.

Car reminds me of my dad's old '81 Mazda GLC Sport. His wasn't turbo'd tho.

Nice install!
Thanks. I was going to change head unit to something new that could play mp3s or more ,but decided to keep it all original.I love the ARX9170, not that I use the tape deck any more and now I have an input into the DSP unit so I can plug in Phone ,Ipod etc.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Love the attention to detail, everything being motorized. Turns from a stock looking system to a killer setup with the flip of a few toggles. Pretty slick. Nice gear from back in the day also. Well done.

To others: you have to check out the video link to see what all is done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT is a very cool setup! Huge fan of stealth installs. I love the hideaway head unit. Could you go into a little more detail how you did that?

Hi bigbubba
Thanks for your comments.Sorry for late reply but I have been in a SPL competition and finally the old girl cracked the 140db+ club.:D

The hide away unit was built using kitchen draw runners and a kids toy remote control car gearbox(see photos).
For the last 18 years that it has been going in and out the gearbox was completely worn out so I have just rebuilt it using the base of an old clarion pop out tv. The doors on the front just sit there with small springs and the head unit pushes them open.The last photo shows the doors which I have now replaced with new stickers. There are also limit switches to say when forward and back and another to turn head unit on once it is halfway out.
Hope that explains it O.K
Cheers Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nicely done man. I like that way better than my hideaway HU. Don't know if I'd have the room to do something like that but would like to try. Thanks for the info.

Congrats on breaking the 140db+!
Hey Thanks
I haven't got any photos of the new pop out unit. To busy trying to get it working properly.
It is easy to pull out of the dash but putting it back can be a nightmare, trying to get all the wires from head unit sitting in the right place so they don't get caught up.The doors holder clicks over the original dash so it gave me another 15mm in depth.
How does your hideaway HU work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry don't know of them.
Tim up from Ashburton with his system was in the 140 to 144 db through the day.He did well winning all 3 sections.
I finally got into the 140+db club (140.4 :D), poped three of my JL Audios last year because they were perished.
Spent the last year repairing subs and getting ready for yesterdays comp.About 20 cars turned up in the end.Comp was great,beautiful day.
Ashley heading back today I think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you who are interested I have added another video of car with more details of install.
The start has photo's when I was building it (some not very clear), Close up video in the middle and the end has new photo's.Cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts