DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a JBL w12gti but its a dual 6 sub. Will my old school 2300 be OK driving a 3 ohm load or will it go up in smoke?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
should be fine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You will have to have a resistance curve at given frequencies to determine if it will run it fine. Just because its nominal is 3 doesn't mean it won't/ can't go all the way down to 1 ohm at certain frequencies.

Or you can run it and make sure it doesn't get hot.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Years ago I ran 3 JLw6 off 3 2300's with no issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
They were pretty stout amps that seemed to handle it pretty well back then, installed many of them. I would DEFINITELY consider a cooling fan and maybe raising it up a hair with spacers though, they did tend to run on the warm side, warm enough to make the stickers on the bottom of them to fall off from the glue releasing.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. the amp has a built in fan. probably nowhere to put an extra fan in my install though

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. the amp has a built in fan. probably nowhere to put an extra fan in my install though

·
Registered
898 Posts
Built in fan wonder what that means! Fans are used to cool off something that is to hot to run in spec....

DON'T DO IT

·
Registered
696 Posts
You will have to have a resistance curve at given frequencies to determine if it will run it fine. Just because its nominal is 3 doesn't mean it won't/ can't go all the way down to 1 ohm at certain frequencies.

Or you can run it and make sure it doesn't get hot.
The driver has an Re of 3.2ohm with coils in parallel according to the manual, which the impedance won't drop below. So as long as the amp is stable to 3ohm or lower, he'll be fine. If it's not, then it's a crap shoot.

Just realized he was talking about a 2-channel amp, so probably not stable below 4ohms bridged.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It will be fine. I know people that have run them at 2 ohms mono w/o a fan, but was out in the open. I have one of those amps ran at 2 ohms mono.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts