DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 10706 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you just sabatoged your own idea.

Competitions rely heavily on sponsors and sponsors would shoot themselves in the foot. Why would you by my new 50x4 amp for 500, when you can get just as good (some would argue better) for a quarter of the price??

It would take a real Grass roots effort to bring something like that to life.
If someones interested in starting, SIGN ME UP!
First let me give credit where credit is due:

... Classic car audio is getting to be a huge hobby for a lot of people. I hope to see it get even bigger. Maybe we will see a classic car audio class in the SQ comps soon. 15-20yr old car audio gear minimum???
But I must admit I have always envisioned going to a current competition with an old school system just to see the reaction. Like a Sony XES Gen1, Clarion ADCS or whatever awesome analog systems of the old school period of which were discussing.

But this would have to definitely be "grassroots" because I dont see how any money could be made from this! :laugh:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't think an old skool category, or separate organization altogether, is entirely necessary to compete. It would be that much sweeter to build an old skool system, perhaps using current installation techniques, and do well in competition! That's my plan. It's taking me wayyyyy longer than I thought it would but when my system is finally done, nothing in it will be newer than 10 years and most stuff will be 15-20 years old. I don't really plan an old skool install so much though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have all my old school stuff installed in the vehicle, I will get pics as soon as I can but here is the list:

Sony MobileES CDX-C90 CD Tuner
Sony MobileES XDP-210EQ Digital X-Over/EQ
Sony MobileES CDX-828 10-disc changer
Boston Acoustics 6.43 Pro 3-way Components
MTX 4-Channel Amp
MTX 12" Sub
(2) 15ft Optical Cables
Monster Cable rca's & speaker wire

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I don't think an old skool category, or separate organization altogether, is entirely necessary to compete. It would be that much sweeter to build an old skool system, perhaps using current installation techniques, and do well in competition! That's my plan. It's taking me wayyyyy longer than I thought it would but when my system is finally done, nothing in it will be newer than 10 years and most stuff will be 15-20 years old. I don't really plan an old skool install so much though.

Plus, you just know someone would have to cheat, using an old school amp chassis with high dollar modern guts. It's the natural progression of everything. Very hard to regulate and judge all classic components classes.
But, I agree that you could successfully compete in teh SQ classes with older equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I now have enough to go 4 way full active with 4 ppi art amps:

A200 for my tweeters:

and the pic that I posted before. A600, Pro Art 100 and a Pro Art 50

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some excellent points on "winning current sound offs" now with old school stuff and the cheating aspect of it. Its a shame too considering most anybody competing in this class would definitely be involved more for the nostalgia of it and the fun vs. just winning...

Maybe I'll show up with an older setup (pre-1995) just for the judges and peoples reaction...!!!:eek:

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,360 Posts
Some excellent points on "winning current sound offs" now with old school stuff and the cheating aspect of it. Its a shame too considering most anybody competing in this class would definitely be involved more for the nostalgia of it and the fun vs. just winning...

Maybe I'll show up with an older setup (pre-1995) just for the judges and peoples reaction...!!!:eek:

I just won my class at a MECA show a couple of weeks ago with 10 year old Dynaudio MD192's and a pair of Adcom 4402's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's neat how those old skool Rockford amps look like Linear Power amps. For those that haven't seen under the fan-cooled shroud of the old RF Power-series amps, they have that same heatsink.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It's neat how those old skool Rockford amps look like Linear Power amps. For those that haven't seen under the fan-cooled shroud of the old RF Power-series amps, they have that same heatsink.
The LP's look way better, lol. Well just because of the colors, since they are the same heatsink.

I personally think those heatsinks make them look like bulletproof tanks (both LP and RF amps).

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
The only downside is that particular generation of Punch 150 ran much HOTTER than a Linear Power 1502IQ. I ran one of those Punch 150s on a sub at 4 ohms mono and later on my mids and highs at 2 ohms stereo. Regardless, it would get hot enough to grill hot dogs and thermal on me if I didn't watch it!

I ended up fabricating a fan shroud out of aluminum using 2 12 volt computer fans to solve my thermal issues. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
534 Posts
The bizarre thing was how they ENCOURAGED mounting the amps with the heatsink in the down position, which is seen by the 'upside down' lettering on the end caps of the amp. I guess they figured people would only mount them upside down on the underside of the rear deck!

2001 - 2020 of 10706 Posts