DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

221 - 240 of 10706 Posts

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
MCINTOSH 440M AND MC420M

Your MC440M glass is on upside down :p I'm probably the only one that caught that :D

Nice condition amp by the way. I've yet to own a MC440M, but have had several of the MC440 and MCC446(no meters)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Drool all over my keyboard. Stupid question. How do I post pics on here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those amps were custom made back in the early 1990's. The internals/board were made by Orion and the Heat sinks were made by Charles Wieland. These were custom made amps for certain dealers. I had about 10 of them and Sold them all on Ebay. The ones you saw were at one time all mines. Very impressive amplifiers as well.

Charles Wieland is a recognized Aerospace heat sink Engineer. Builds most Heatsinks that go one most airplanes. I don't know exactly why they chose him to make these Heatsinks. They do look nice. They have a metallic black and purple color, identical to the Orion NT amps.

These were never mass produced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL...I know, it took me a few views of the pic to figure out that the glass was on upside down.

Anyone interested in a BNIB McIntosh MCC602TM???? I have 2 an 1 needs a new home. Serious inquiries only please.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I sure like that Orion 4100GX. Not many left of those anymore...
Here are some more pics.
Alpine EQ's
Alpine HU's
Techniques Cass
Blaupunkt Houston
Alpine PB200, 3030, 3007,ect, ect...
The strangest one is the Pink-Floyd Orion.
Only one I have seen of these.

Pink Floyd Orion amp 1st gen

Minty 425 Orion 1st gen

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think its ironic that the most durable stuff comes from Japan, yet the culture there doesn't prefer old stuff. They get new cars on AVERAGE every 3 years!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here are some more pics.
Alpine EQ's
Alpine HU's
Techniques Cass
Blaupunkt Houston

Minty 425 Orion 1st gen

MEMORIES!! That Alpine 20x20 EQ, I had one rigged to a Boombox in the 80's.

I opened the Ghetto Blaster up, wired the Alpine to the radios power source, took the speaker leads from the radio, wired them into the Alpine, out from the Alpine back to the radios speakers which I had updated with a pair of Coaxials from Alpine. I put carpet padding behind the coax speakers, this seemed to help the sound.

EQ was strapped tightly to the back of the radio.

Night and day difference in sound.

Only worked well when plugged into the AC outlet. Hey, I was a self taught 15 YO tinkerer. (I said tinkerer not Twink)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't image how much it take for me to get one of those.

I didn't even know that existed, thank you for posting that. I just jacked :D that pic for my picture collection :blush:
Might sell or trade if for the right thing...I like it a lot. So it would have to be something pretty good. Have never seen another.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Might sell or trade if for the right thing...I like it a lot. So it would have to be something pretty good. Have never seen another.
I bid on one of those on eBay a year or so ago... it may have been that very one, tomtom may have won it. It sold for less than a $100 if I remember right. I didn't even know there was such an amp. It's the same size as a 220GX but it's HCCA red...?? I bet that it's a pretty rare little fella. It could just be something that someone custom made, I don't know and I am an Orion nut. Nonetheless it's cool. Pink Floyd anything is cool!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bid on one of those on eBay a year or so ago... it may have been that very one, tomtom may have won it. It sold for less than a $100 if I remember right. I didn't even know there was such an amp. It's the same size as a 220GX but it's HCCA red...?? I bet that it's a pretty rare little fella. It could just be something that someone custom made, I don't know and I am an Orion nut. Nonetheless it's cool. Pink Floyd anything is cool!!
It is a promo one-off amp. These are my favorite thing to collect. I did get (steal) that one on the bay. I was expecting 3-400, but got it for a little over a hundred. Hell, I think my high bid was 500 or so. Figured another Orion collector would push the bid high, but it never happened. It was one of those few that I "had" to have. It was done like this by Orion. Positively. Has some light scratches like it was in a tool box or a drawer or something. But the pos and neg are uncut. Still has the factory solder on the tips. No marks from being mounted either. But I fixed that by hanging it on my Orion wall. (didn't leave any marks though. Lightly screwed in) ... Neat amp overall. I keep it next to the 420's and 220's . Speaking of the Orion amps. Does anyone have a 620GT ? I saw a pic of one once, and am unsure if it ever went into production. Would like to get a picture of another if anyone has one...

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
It is a promo one-off amp. These are my favorite thing to collect. I did get (steal) that one on the bay. I was expecting 3-400, but got it for a little over a hundred. Hell, I think my high bid was 500 or so. Figured another Orion collector would push the bid high, but it never happened. It was one of those few that I "had" to have. It was done like this by Orion. Positively. Has some light scratches like it was in a tool box or a drawer or something. But the pos and neg are uncut. Still has the factory solder on the tips. No marks from being mounted either. But I fixed that by hanging it on my Orion wall. (didn't leave any marks though. Lightly screwed in) ... Neat amp overall. I keep it next to the 420's and 220's . Speaking of the Orion amps. Does anyone have a 620GT ? I saw a pic of one once, and am unsure if it ever went into production. Would like to get a picture of another if anyone has one...
I had a 620GT at one time running a 3-way active system, and I put in another one for a guy... so they did go into production. I have seen one on eBay before, it went close to $200 if I remember right. Keep an eye out one will come up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think its ironic that the most durable stuff comes from Japan, yet the culture there doesn't prefer old stuff. They get new cars on AVERAGE every 3 years!

their laws charge them an extremely high tax on any vehicle over a certain mileage...its to make sure the emissions don't get too high...

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
their laws charge them an extremely high tax on any vehicle over a certain mileage...its to make sure the emissions don't get too high...
Hence the reason it used to be soooo easy to get JDM engines for Nissans, Toyotas, and Hondas.... Well, until the Fast and the Furious came out and everyone started putting Integra motors in their Civics....

·
Registered
628 Posts
They also rust out that quickly because of the climate. That's why the older Toyotas, Hondas, used to have crap bodies and great powertrains, they were engineered where you could weld the hood shut and not worry about it for the expected lifespan of the vehicle, and throw the car away after you're done with it. Nowadays of course vehicles have gotten a lot better but you still get body damage from salt, moisture, etc

·
Human (not a robot)
2,380 Posts
I can't image how much it take for me to get one of those.

I didn't even know that existed, thank you for posting that. I just jacked :D that pic for my picture collection :blush:
I just googled 98KUPD and it comes up a rock radio station in Arizona. Maybe it was a prize given away from that station back in the day. :confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ok,
EARLY TO MID 80's PIONEER. I want some new in the box. Anyone have any?
That third one down looks like the first head unit I purchased for my first car.
I later added 2 Alphasonik pma(or ma)2100's. One powered the Pioneer 6903 6x9's with the white cones and the other powered 2 clear poly coned Alphalab 10" subs which I believe were made by MTX(Mitek)

My next head unit was a Kenwood 999....I would love to have one of those again.

Does anyone remember the Blaupunkt stalk mounted equalizers? Clarion also had one that looked like the stick from a fighter jet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here are some more pics.
Alpine EQ's
Alpine HU's
Techniques Cass
Blaupunkt Houston

Minty 425 Orion 1st gen

who is this ?

221 - 240 of 10706 Posts