DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 10706 Posts

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
That third one down looks like the first head unit I purchased for my first car.
I later added 2 Alphasonik pma(or ma)2100's. One powered the Pioneer 6903 6x9's with the white cones and the other powered 2 clear poly coned Alphalab 10" subs which I believe were made by MTX(Mitek)

My next head unit was a Kenwood 999....I would love to have one of those again.

Does anyone remember the Blaupunkt stalk mounted equalizers? Clarion also had one that looked like the stick from a fighter jet.
The Blaupunkt one was like a 5-band with some crazy round sliders or something, you worked the eq with your thumb I think; video game style... I can see it, but I don't remeber much about it.

That Clarion eq was fully digital, spectrum analyzer, crossover, memories... I remember that one well... it was hideous!! I remember some guy had two of them in his Jeep... why I don't know!

Those Pioneer cassette decks had the trim ring around the knobs that lit up... that was COOL!! If you didn't have one of those you were out!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looking at it again, Maybe a JBL 18 or a Fane 24? (in the mustang)

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Looking at it again, Maybe a JBL 18 or a Fane 24? (in the mustang)
I thought that was a Fostex 30". I know of a guy that installed one of those on top of his old well so he could have BASS out by the pool... now that's how you party!! I wonder how that works now, after a few years of corrosion eating away at it?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just me, tomtomjr...:)

The EV or Gauss 30 inch sub looks like and install Drew Luther was doing a LONG time ago.
The 5 Zapco 151's are neat. Who's were they?
That's an ElectroVoice (EV) 30-inch woofer... it had a styrofoam cone!

I sold a few back in the day. Also put one in the hatch of a Saab 900. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Guess the well would have decent acoustics... Moisture would probably eat it up in no time though.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Guess the well would have decent acoustics... Moisture would probably eat it up in no time though.
Never actually HEARD it only heard about it. Sounded like a waste to me. But I am sure some poeple would call what I do a waste too... beauty is in the eye of the beholder...you know

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
EARLY TO MID 80's PIONEER. I want some new in the box. Anyone have any?
I had a late 80s model two shaft Pioneer with the trim assembly that lit up when connected. Ahh, the memories.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a late 80s model two shaft Pioneer with the trim assembly that lit up when connected. Ahh, the memories.
Light up face plates on shaft tuners are cool. Did anyone besides Pioneer make them? Add some Pioneer TSX-7's or TSX-8's box speakers and a Sparkomatic EQ, and you were in business. I rebuilt a set of each (TSX-7's and 8's), and use them on my roll-around bench tester/shop stereo.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Light up face plates on shaft tuners are cool. Did anyone besides Pioneer make them? Add some Pioneer TSX-7's or TSX-8's box speakers and a Sparkomatic EQ, and you were in business. I rebuilt a set of each (TSX-7's and 8's), and use them on my roll-around bench tester/shop stereo.
TSX-7's FTW!!! If you didn't have a set of those you were not cool!! Remember the TSX-20's... square woofers!!

I don't remember any other manufacturer making the trim plates light up. Jensen made some crazy looking decks were the shaft covers had buttons on them and no knobs... AZN-500 or somethink like that, they were goldish...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Everyone had a set of TSX-7's or TSX-8's. Here is a shot of part of my rolling Matco cart / test bench. I use an XM Samsung Helix, Pair of TSX-7's, Pair of TSX-8's, Cerwin Vega Turbocharger, Zapco SEQ, Zapco PX, Zapco 151A, Zapco Z-50, and a Clarion 32" sub sitting on top of a safe. I have some other boxed speakers I use too, but this is how I usually use my test-cart.

ALSO, I finally got some pics up of the back, inside, and power plate/side cover of the big blue Linear. I had a few of you asking about it. I will put them in links rather than pictures. Click links below for the pics of the Linear Power ...

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/?action=view&current=PA052947.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/LPbluein-1.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/LPblueside-1.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Damn Tom, ok now break out the pics of the old school JVC ghettoblaster boom box

I know you probably got a few of those hehe

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Everyone had a set of TSX-7's or TSX-8's. Here is a shot of part of my rolling Matco cart / test bench. I use an XM Samsung Helix, Pair of TSX-7's, Pair of TSX-8's, Cerwin Vega Turbocharger, Zapco SEQ, Zapco PX, Zapco 151A, Zapco Z-50, and a Clarion 32" sub sitting on top of a safe. I have some other boxed speakers I use too, but this is how I usually use my test-cart.

ALSO, I finally got some pics up of the back, inside, and power plate/side cover of the big blue Linear. I had a few of you asking about it. I will put them in links rather than pictures. Click links below for the pics of the Linear Power ...

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/?action=view&current=PA052947.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/LPbluein-1.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/LPblueside-1.jpg
What is the story on the big blue Linear Power. Was it custom made?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Zierbox,
Like the install with the Power II. You wouldn't by chance have one of those still would you?
Sure wish I had pics from back then. I lost most over the years. I do have a few though. I will dig them out... Till then, this is all I can find for now. A video of my car from 93. Autotek, Zapco, JVC, ect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPC1UTCu2w

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is the story on the big blue Linear Power. Was it custom made?
Don't have much info on it. Still looking for info. I emailed Ray (TIPS) about it, and said that LP made it, but he didn't have much more info either. But that is what I am putting on the Audiobahn 34 in the Honda. Don't know if it will be enough power, but it sure will look good:D

LOVE the pics of the old Fosgate stuff. Sanyo amps (got a few new in box still ) . The Sony pieces, M&M's, ect... Do you by chance still have any of those?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Don't have much info on it. Still looking for info. I emailed Ray (TIPS) about it, and said that LP made it, but he didn't have much more info either. But that is what I am putting on the Audiobahn 34 in the Honda. Don't know if it will be enough power, but it sure will look good:D

LOVE the pics of the old Fosgate stuff. Sanyo amps (got a few new in box still ) . The Sony pieces, M&M's, ect... Do you by chance still have any of those?
My M&M Godfathers dry rotted at the surrounds so I tossed them in the trash. Years ago a family member with a substance abuse problem stole all the old school stuff that I had stored in my grandfather's shop so I don't have anything from the late 80s early 90s except for a couple of things that I purchased recently. The two things I miss the most are my purple Linear Power 5002IQ and my Hifonics Zeus V1. The thing that really gets me is that I worked my a$$ off for those items because I was only in high school at the time.

I also miss my first Sony CD players and old school Sony amplifiers that I used for my mids and highs when I was running Rockford Fosgate Punch amps for the subs. How come Sony had to go in the crapper with regards to a good, quality product?

·
Registered
367 Posts
My M&M Godfathers dry rotted at the surrounds so I tossed them in the trash.

I also miss my first Sony CD players and old school Sony amplifiers that I used for my mids and highs when I was running Rockford Fosgate Punch amps for the subs. How come Sony had to go in the crapper with regards to a good, quality product?
I still have a lot of M&M's . I will post some pics tonight maybe.
On Sony, I don't know if they still make nice amps or not. A few years ago, they had a high end line of amps. Big $$$. Tristan had one of the big ones that he would not "give" me. Think it retailed at $4k or so.
And no Tristan, No JVC jamboxes... But I do have a big Magnavox. The one with the 8" sub in the center, and a pair of 6" mids.

241 - 260 of 10706 Posts