DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 10706 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tomjr... I'm in Dallas... wee need to meet up some time... I would LOVE to just reveal in the collection..

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon
Rob, sure... I am south of Dallas. Waxahachie/Midlothian. Would like to see your Literature. Any M&M Lit? Or does anyone have any brochures of M&M? I want the one with the "Tri-Phase" setup. (6x9 or 8" woofer/mid/tweet) ... Also looking for early Rockford Fosgate Lit from 82 thru 85 that shows the Power 360/II/VI ...

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^'s right there is nothing "Blue Thunder" in the amp pictured... The ORIGINAL Terminators & Blue Thunders were identical to the Orion HCCA's & the PPI ProMOS's of the day... ultra low impedance stable... 25-50w a channel @ 4-ohm to get under IASCA's power class rules.. etc

My old '75 Mustang license plate was "OHM MY 75" Running (2) Term 250's on something like 10-12 speakers.... a passive crossover network/stabilizing network that took up the entire underside of the trunk lid. LOL... OH the glory days...

look in the old CAr Stereo Reviews for the break down of Lucio P.'s (JL Audio Founder) of his Mustang GT to check out the insane passive networks we used to create to drive multiple speakers on 1 or 2 amps @ ultra low impedances....

Rob
2004 WRX Wagon

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
When I had my Orion 280 GX(1991) and them my 225 HCCA (1993) the adress I sent them to a couple times for repair was in Tempe AZ..
Wasn't Orion formed by someone who was originally affiliated with Rockford Fosgate? At least that is the rumor that I was always told. Also, prior to the DEI buyout, Orion was based in Arizona.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Wasn't Orion formed by someone who was originally affiliated with Rockford Fosgate? At least that is the rumor that I was always told. Also, prior to the DEI buyout, Orion was based in Arizona.
Orion was on W Julie Dr, PPI was on S McKemey St, and Fosgate was on what else... Fosgate way all in Tempe, AZ. PPI was 3.5 miles from Orion... They are all within 10 miles of each other, Story was that the same three people founded all three of them... Obviously Jim Fosgate founded Rockford Fosgate, I think Richard Lemay founded Orion, he passed away in 92. I don't really know much about PPI, I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.

Here is some good reading if you want to learn a little car audio history, talks some about AudioMobile... good stuff.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=349

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.
All Fosgate and Rockford Fosgate (pre-87) has the same DIN connectors. PPI, Orion, Fosgate, and Rockford Fosgate will interchange with the DIN accessories.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Some facts about Richard LeMay and the "Big Three":D from Phoenix-Tempe area:

Many thanks for posting this article. It now puts to rest some of the urban legends I heard about Orion and Rockford Fosgate. It also provides some insight as to why Orion and Precision Power were so dang similar:D

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Orion was on W Julie Dr, PPI was on S McKemey St, and Fosgate was on what else... Fosgate way all in Tempe, AZ. PPI was 3.5 miles from Orion... They are all within 10 miles of each other, Story was that the same three people founded all three of them... Obviously Jim Fosgate founded Rockford Fosgate, I think Richard Lemay founded Orion, he passed away in 92. I don't really know much about PPI, I always considered them and Orion the same, the DIN cables were the same the phantom power accessories were interchangeable. There were a lot of similarities.

Here is some good reading if you want to learn a little car audio history, talks some about AudioMobile... good stuff.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=349

I'm pretty sure Jim founded Fosgate and partnered with or bought out by Rockford. I've seen numerous pics of pre-Rockford, Fosgate amps and pre-amps.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
I'm pretty sure Jim founded Fosgate and partnered with or bought out by Rockford. I've seen numerous pics of pre-Rockford, Fosgate amps and pre-amps.
Go back through this thread and look at pics posted by tomtomjr... he has about 50 pre Rockford... Fosgates. The real old school Fosgate.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just picked this up today, i dont think you really can get anything in better condition. Let the oldschool amp collection begin!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey im an Interior Design Major, i gotz to dress like this! I have to ride that line between insane and genius...otherwise you end up having to only buy Dual brand audio from then on. It was in a textbook i believe. If you ever shop at Tommy Bahama and enjoy the looks of the store, you can thank me :)

261 - 280 of 10706 Posts