DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

8421 - 8440 of 10706 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My BNIB punch 40. I have a few other 40's and a punch 2040 as well but this is my jewel.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have respect for them on the low end for sure. They drove they're amps to the limits. Small but man they could beat the hell out of subs. Until they let lose and catastrophic. Not a fan at all though on the mid and top end with the old punches.

I also ditto the PPI art m, am, arts. They really hit a home run with those. The art/w6 connection was famous. I was an odd ball @ the time and ran 4 10w6 one ISO of the first production runs off of a first production run A600, with A404 on the fronts. Fronts morphed (ADS, JL, ID horns, etc.) until I found the wizard of Oz. Even though I worked @ A top dealer of ads, jl, etc. I still searched out and drove 10hrs. to pick up the new set of supermans. I still have the A 600 & Oz. Great memories.
Still using the OZ fronts from 1992ish.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

469 Posts
Amp came in today. Description of the amp from the ebay seller,

Up for sale is a phoenix gold m44 amplifier, Capacitors have been replaced.
it's in very good condition 8.5 out of 10 it's in 100% working condition it does have
some scratches ect (please see photos). it's a great old school classics amp and
getting hard to find in this condition.

Here is what I found when I popped it open,

Scratches etc? So when you mean "etc" you're talking about how when the original capacitors fried, they blew a god damn hole through the board in the process? Not to mention destroying the gold plating?

Thing of it is, the seller included every other picture of the amplifier -guts & all, BUT decided to leave that part out. EVERY other listing includes a snapshot of the board underneath the caps.

Missing screws as well. I don't mind those. That's just annoying. The board itself though? Fuck. I paid $100 more for this M44 than I have with my previous M44's.

Parts can be replaced, but this is like someone damaging the frame on our car. It's garbage now.

:cwm23:

Hope no one on here is responsible for this.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Amp came in today. Description of the amp from the ebay seller,

Up for sale is a phoenix gold m44 amplifier, Capacitors have been replaced.
it's in very good condition 8.5 out of 10 it's in 100% working condition it does have
some scratches ect (please see photos). it's a great old school classics amp and
getting hard to find in this condition.

Here is what I found when I popped it open,

Scratches etc? So when you mean "etc" you're talking about how when the original capacitors fried, they blew a god damn hole through the board in the process? Not to mention destroying the gold plating?

Thing of it is, the seller included every other picture of the amplifier -guts & all, BUT decided to leave that part out. EVERY other listing includes a snapshot of the board underneath the caps.

Missing screws as well. I don't mind those. That's just annoying. The board itself though? Fuck. I paid $100 more for this M44 than I have with my previous M44's.

Parts can be replaced, but this is like someone damaging the frame on our car. It's garbage now.

:cwm23:

Hope no one on here is responsible for this.
I disagree. does the amplifier work? did he wire around the burned sections of the board? just because the gold plated traces are gone really means nothing if all the circuits are functioning.

only ting I would be concerned with is the 16V rating on the replaced caps. hopfully those are on the input section of the amp and not the output.

All that said, I would still be pissed too. if it has been repaired, just say so, dont sell something as 8.5/10 when it was had a repair like that.

469 Posts
I disagree. does the amplifier work? did he wire around the burned sections of the board? just because the gold plated traces are gone really means nothing if all the circuits are functioning.

only ting I would be concerned with is the 16V rating on the replaced caps. hopfully those are on the input section of the amp and not the output.

All that said, I would still be pissed too. if it has been repaired, just say so, dont sell something as 8.5/10 when it was had a repair like that.
The seller is 3rd party.

The individual who is refurbishing these amplifiers left out the damaged area intentionally.

I don't mind it being repaired. In fact, I've repaired all of my PG amplifiers. This one though, is ruined. It really is.

PG won't accept amplifiers with damaged boards either.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Board might look trashed but it's still fixable. I did it to an M50, wasn't the greatest looking thing.

Also, Eric D at the phoenix Phorum site has replace a golf ball sized hole in a ZX450. Look him up, he might be able to help or he might be willing to do it for you.

469 Posts
Board might look trashed but it's still fixable. I did it to an M50, wasn't tyre greatest looking thing.

Also, Eric D at the phoenix Phorum site has replace a golf ball sized hole in a ZX450. Lii him up, he might be able to help or he might be willing to do it for you.

How do you replace the gold tracing?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I went to my local electronics store, radio shack has nothing on this place, and bought some board that you can etch the copper off of to leave your desired trace and then solder the two trace together.

With a permanent marker you make your trace, or what you want to keep and then soak it in a solution that you buy. The solution eats away at the copper that had no permanent marker.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Minnesota, it's probably repairable, but wow, what a piece of shit seller. I was thinking as I saw the pics "How much do you wanna bet the seller didn't show any gut shots or at least very craftily took them.", I guess I was right.

What a hack job.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Done the etching thing to a Autotek 7150. Where the fets are on the board all that burned up. Cut that part away got a doubled sided board think it was at the shack cut it to have a tight fit run jumpers used copper clad to make the larger connections an a ton of super glue. Never had the first complaint, but then again I did change my number so maybe that's why hehe. Just kidding no number change. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts

This picture is NOT mine but I have an DCT-R1 identical to this sitting in my closet waiting to be enjoyed hopefully in the bear future. Pretty sure I lucked up finding a black faced version with the US tuner.

·
Registered
221 Posts

This is the setup in my daily driver. It's just a regular cab pickup so I'm running this M25 to two HAT 6.5" coaxes in my front doors.

The M25 has been fully worked over by TrickyRicky here on the forum. BB op amps, WIMA caps and a bunch more i don't remember. It works lie a charm and sounds fantastic even hooked to my factory deck.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

This picture is NOT mine but I have an DCT-R1 identical to this sitting in my closet waiting to be enjoyed hopefully in the bear future. Pretty sure I lucked up finding a black faced version with the US tuner.
Would you be so kind as to find me a reasonably-priced, black-faced euro version as well?

:D

·
Registered
79 Posts

This is the setup in my daily driver. It's just a regular cab pickup so I'm running this M25 to two HAT 6.5" coaxes in my front doors.

The M25 has been fully worked over by TrickyRicky here on the forum. BB op amps, WIMA caps and a bunch more i don't remember. It works lie a charm and sounds fantastic even hooked to my factory deck.
Nice! I had one of those on a 10" jlw0 in 95-96 in a single cab ranger

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice! I had one of those on a 10" jlw0 in 95-96 in a single cab ranger
Thanks man! I actually have thought of running it tri-way to a small 6.5" sub as well. I have an old Kenwood tri-way crossover that would work perfect for it but I'm afraid of overheating the amp. I had a factory fan shroud kit for it but never could find a factory fan for it so I let the shroud go. Definitely love the amp though.

·
Premium Member
9,180 Posts
I bet the HAT Imagine I6SW would be perfect for that configuration.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Most of you probably saw my thread about the PC2350, and if you go into other sections of this site then youve seen that I have repaired a ZPA0.5, i also just found my PC250 and PC275 in a box in the garage.

MSU, i can relate to you about the damaged board. When I bought the ZPA0.5 it had been "repaired". That meant that some guy replaced a FET that had burned out. He did a crappy soldering job and botched the board pretty bad. Difference is I bought it knowing it was not functional. I really hate surprises though.

Actually, my 2350 was also a surprise, but of the good kind. It started off just like the ZPA, i opened it and found that someone had done modifications (or work). check out that thread though to see how it turned out to be a good thing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just got my hands on another "unicorn", the Precision Power PPI-2350DM. It needs some TLC, but I may be able to get the original art from CHY! How cool would that be?? BIG thanks to my buddy Darin for picking this jewel up and sending her my way :thumbsup:

Two Unicorns in the same picture? :eek::eek:

WAY COOL i had one of these back in 1993 i paid so much $$$ for it !!!
i had it in my 1992 ranger w/ a snug and walk thru running 8 Orion XTR 10"

what a beast and running the MB quarts 3 ways in the doors a PPI 2150am
MB quart 2 way comp rear PPI 2075am
MB quart 4" center PPI 2025am
all mounted in the back window - wall of PPI

8421 - 8440 of 10706 Posts