DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 10706 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just got in... Spectron EQ. Never heard of it, but it looks like an Audiomobile 3 band. Anyone remember these?

<br>

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Just got in... Spectron EQ. Never heard of it, but it looks like an Audiomobile 3 band. Anyone remember these?

<br>
I remember seeing it on ebay last week. It looks like the Audiomobile and a PPI 3-band that I have. My PPI doesn't have the L-R slider though. Pop it open.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
There is a curious Orion HCCA 225r on Ebay. LOL at the first sentence in his post, then look at all the text in his ad! I think his BIN is waaaaaay off but, I haven't ever seen one of these come up for auction before...

ORION HCCA 225R SUPER RARE US MADE 2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 190306440032 end time May-16-09 02:13:14 PDT)
That an interesting amp. I think I may have to call BS on his story of where it came from. He sure is long winded too. Claims it's 1 of 4.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just got in... Spectron EQ. Never heard of it....
Spectron was one of the mid-fi car brands of the late 70's - early 80's. Also Car-Fi, AFS Kriket, Clarion, Proton, Craig, and many more filling out the middle ground. Nearly as many little brands then as now. Spectron made an attempt to produce a decent product IIRC. Don't know if there was an Audiomobile connection though. They certainly existed within the same timeframe.

·
Member Infinitum
692 Posts
That an interesting amp. I think I may have to call BS on his story of where it came from. He sure is long winded too. Claims it's 1 of 4.

I thought all HCCA were red heat sinks. Quite interesting. Take a look at the Q &A at the botom of the auction! rather funny!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Take a look at the Q &A at the botom of the auction! rather funny!
Oh, those are worth saving for posterity -

;)

Q: don't forget, i will be in your neck of the woods in mid july so i look forward to meeting you face to face. May-09-09

A: You will be arrested long before you see me.....entering my state will be grounds for arrest, I have already reported all of your threats of bodily harm...more

Q: i refunded your money and now you are spewing all this crap about internet fraud by powersellers and payment plans???? payment plans are NOT against ebay...more May-09-09

A: You only returned my money because of a technicality. Not because it was the right thing to do. What you did to me was completely WRONG, and you made no...more

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
I thought all HCCA were red heat sinks. Quite interesting. Take a look at the Q &A at the botom of the auction! rather funny!
Yeah, from the factory they were all red. I made some white once, but that was a custom deal.

I missed the Q&A first time!! That's funny. Nice find.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Around these parts, Spectron was considered to be quite high-end in the early '80s. They were considered to comparable to Audiomobile, Nakamichi, Zapco by the enthusiasts around here.

Later they were rebadged under the BGW brand for a short time.

No relation to Audiomobile from what I know.

Spectron was one of the mid-fi car brands of the late 70's - early 80's. Also Car-Fi, AFS Kriket, Clarion, Proton, Craig, and many more filling out the middle ground. Nearly as many little brands then as now. Spectron made an attempt to produce a decent product IIRC. Don't know if there was an Audiomobile connection though. They certainly existed within the same timeframe.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
How's this for old school?

JVC pullout cassette deck.
Excalibur alarm remote.
Motorola flip.
Motorola Micro Tac Ultra Lite.
Uniden pager.
CAZALs.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Orion was VERY popular in my neck of the woods in the late 80's thru the early to mid 90's. Rockford Fosgate was right there too. I always thought that the SX series was a very warm sounding amp compared to the Fosgate Punch stuff. HCCA's were very popular too but, were beyond my budget at the time. Lots of guys did their entire systems with two Punch amps or a couple of HCCA 225's. One guy really amazed everyone (at that time) by running his entire system with one Punch 75 and a bunch of passive's.
I got into PPI after reading about how they were cleaning up in competitions on the West coast. Nobody was running PPI (in my area)and I liked that and liked the SQ and power so, I ran their stuff. Linear Power was available too but, seemed to be a bit pricey compared to Orion, PPI and RF. I remember the LP van making a stop in town one day and yes...it was very impressive. I thought LP amps had the warmth of the Orion (and PPI) amps with the power and impact of the HCCA or Pro Mos series. There was little doubt that they looked solid inside.
Tons of people were also running Coustic, Yamaha and other brands that we (for apparently snobbish reasons) thought at the time to be inferior. I mean it seemed everyone had a Yamaha YPA-1000 in their truck or IROC Camaro. Of course, now we know that Coustic and Yamaha were making good stuff too that could be beat on and abused everyday but, still do their job well.
It really was an exciting time to be into car audio. The very first "system" I remember in my little town was back in '85 when a friend had an Alpine amp, cassette deck, two 6x9's(in boxes) with a couple of 5.25" door speakers installed in his Mazda RX-7. It was clean and loud and we were all hooked. Guys were putting good systems into their musclecars within a couple of month's and it just skyrocketed after that.
Fun times.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I thought from the HCCA R series forward, the Orion amps were just "Designed in the USA"? My HCCA 250 G4 says "Made In The USA" on it, but the circuit board says "Designed in the USA". Which probably means, built in Korea with final assembly in the United states:(

I know I posted this before, but I can't remember where, so here it is again:

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Well you've got me interested now, between this thread and the other one. I have about 10 of that sink style I'll open them all and see where we are. Intersting... makes you wonder.

50%!! Yikes.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts

<br>
Amazing I came across this as I was just talking about Spectron the other day over in the Infinity Class D thread and another thread about New Classic amps. I have a little experience with the company, as I at one time was asked to come on board in a Marketing capacity. This was back in the early '80s and the company was started by John Ulrick (formerly of Infinity with a background of having worked with Class D amps) and one or two other individuals. They had some nice looking speakers, the eq shown in your pic, and amps configured along the line of the old AudioMobile stuff. What was most interesting, however, was a product they exhibited at CES that year, ca. 1982, it was a "Digital" car audio amp that was palm-sized and, you guessed it, a Class D design. Certainly the first use of that amp class I'd ever seen. Not sure what happened, although the '80s were definitely the age of surfboard-sized amps and anything that could fit in your palm was to be sniffed at. However, if you have a look in the home audio arena, you'll see that John Ulrick and Spectron are going great guns and their Class D amplifiers seem to be among the more highly regarded amps available.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane... :)

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
See, I thought it was from the "R" series back that all HCCA's were built in the US. There are a couple 225r's shown on AmpGuts. One has Made In The USA on the circuit board and the pic next to it shows a board that says Made In Korea. I have one of those and even started a separate thread about it here...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/59220-orion-hcca-225r-made-usa-hold.html
There are amps that say Zed on the board [ company used the board with name after Steve was not involved with them anymore .... $$$$ ];)

Legalities have been abused to get the "Made in the USA" designation on an amp .

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Well you've got me interested now, between this thread and the other one. I have about 10 of that sink style I'll open them all and see where we are. Intersting... makes you wonder.

50%!! Yikes.
Looked at the three that I've gotten lately and have been testing... all three say "Made in the U.S.A." right below the Orion logo.

1001 - 1020 of 10706 Posts