DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

10641 - 10657 of 10657 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haha, the old pouch 45 huh?? Lol, they are pretty awesome, i have these

Just sitting under my bed for ......... well I’m not entirely sure yet tbh lol

Legendarry, yes, sound quality??? Not so ,much, imho they were only really suited for subs in comps, but for the everday listener (much like myself now really as ive been out of it since the late 90’s,) they would suit really well,

my apprentices all ask me why i keep buying old stereo stuff, lol, its what i know, these new cheap h/u with t/a and x/overs built in for less than $300 au, how can they actually be good and last??

Krem

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just remembered: Earlier this week I had a conversation with my ex-fiancee. We were together off and on from '94 until early 2000. Back in '95 we had an 85 or 86 Honda Prelude Si that I had outfitted with a lil system. Sony Mobile ES cassette deck with changer controls, Eclipse 6.5" coaxes in the rear, 4" coaxes in the front door (can't remember the manufacturer), a pair of Pyle tweeters in the corners of the doors, and a sub enclosure that had my trusty a/d/s 6.2 Subwoofer plate in it. I originally bought the plate in '93 for use with my 3rd Fox Mustang (this one a notchback) and I originally ran it off of a PPI 2050M. In the Prelude it was run from a 1st Gen Alpine 3522. The speakers were run off the radio's power so I didn't want the sub to overwhelm 'em, so that's when I pulled out the Alpine to run it. Sadly, the car succumbed to the dreaded timing belt snap which bent all of the valves so we scrapped it. However, I went to the shop it was at, retrieved the sub enclosure from it and took it to the store I was working at across the street and my ex came and took it home with her.

That was 22 years ago.

Monday or Tuesday this week we were talking on the phone about old times and she said "Oh, you're going to trip out: You remember the speaker box from the Prelude??? I JUST gave it away the other day to my brother.". Turns out she kept it all these years, taking it with her from house to house and finally just gave it to her brother. The woofers were still in good shape (thank God for butyl rubber surrounds) and the cabinet I designed, built, and carpeted was still in solid shape if a bit dirty. I'm trying to see if she can get pics of it 'cause we live 1500 miles apart these days, but what I really want is a pic of the inside of it to see if I signed it like I did with pretty much every sub I built. Should be "Now the world will hear how dope you are" or something to that effect.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
How's this for Rare "Old School" ? ADS 315i, Brand Spankin New all the way from the Late 80's! Never Mounted, Never Powered! I have another New Set of these, same condition, but with an Even Rarer set of Flush and Recess Kits. Note the smaller 320i, 320i/s, 325i etc Tweeter next to the 315i set. Got the "Itch" to power these up and listen to the 315i Soft Dome Tweets but just can't bring myself to it yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How's this for Rare "Old School" ? ADS 315i, Brand Spankin New all the way from the Late 80's! Never Mounted, Never Powered! I have another New Set of these, same condition, but with an Even Rarer set of Flush and Recess Kits. Note the smaller 320i, 320i/s, 325i etc Tweeter next to the 315i set. Got the "Itch" to power these up and listen to the 315i Soft Dome Tweets but just can't bring myself to it yet.

View attachment 259975

View attachment 259979

View attachment 259983

View attachment 259984

View attachment 259985

View attachment 259986

View attachment 259987

View attachment 259988

View attachment 259989

View attachment 259990
Man those were the days. a/d/s was the "gold standard", if you will, for sound quality back when I was doing it. If you didn't go a/d/s, then you got MB Quart or Boston Acoustic.

Aside from my 6.2 subwoofer plate, I had an a/d/s PQ8 amp (white lettering with a rounded a/d/s logo on the heatsink) and a 642CSi active crossover. In my old Mustang I had the head unit out to the 642CSI, which went to the PQ8 running my front components (inexpensive Pioneer 6.5" components that had a 7/8-inch hard dome tweeter, initially released in 1992, I got mine in '93) and rear 6x8" coaxes (Pioneer 6x8's) and my PPI 2050M on the 6.2 plate off the sub channel.

Ended up selling off the PPI amp. One of the installers at my shop had an Alpine 3522 sitting around unused and he offered it to me for $40, which made it's way into the Prelude 2 years later running the same sub plate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does anyone know the color code for the old rubicon soundstream amps? I have two of them that I’d like to repaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
new purchase - Soundstream Reference 160s
very good condition, immediately stood up to my car's music installation :) View attachment 260223 View attachment 260224
Man I used to love those old Soundstream amps. One of the places I worked at had just dropped the line right before I got there. They still had a few items left over like a few head units, an amp or two, and I think a handful of speakers but not the full line and selling the stuff was hard because our parent company, Fretter, refused to come down on the prices.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Man I used to love those old Soundstream amps. One of the places I worked at had just dropped the line right before I got there. They still had a few items left over like a few head units, an amp or two, and I think a handful of speakers but not the full line and selling the stuff was hard because our parent company, Fretter, refused to come down on the prices.
my price paid for this amp - 50 euro

·
Registered
355 Posts

View attachment 259975

View attachment 259979

View attachment 259983

View attachment 259984

View attachment 259985

View attachment 259986

View attachment 259987

View attachment 259988

View attachment 259989

View attachment 259990
Have the AL6 from the late 90s

10641 - 10657 of 10657 Posts