DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
10801 - 10820 of 10844 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
G&S, forgotten by most. Some of the best stuff I heard back in the day had G&S speakers. There's a local guy who did some amazing builds back in the 80's-90's using G&S speakers including the Redline subs and their mids and tweets paired with HiFonics VII and VIII amps. I had a quick tour of his NOS G&S stuff in his shop a few years back... he has tons of it and it really brought back memories. I have a handful of their amps, also excellent. It's been years and years and I can't remember who they contracted with. PPI if I recall but I'll get around to cracking some open one of these times and check them out.
I remember them being a bit finicky on enclosures but if you could get it right they sounded great. Really efficient speakers. It’s too bad the foam used on the GE series mids was so thin & prone to degradation. Always thought a nice red butyl surround would have been the perfect compromise between efficiency & longevity for those.

I did have a bit of an issue with the glue separating from the cone & spider on the BD series as well.

You’re correct about the Competition amps. Think it was the PPI AM series boards they were based on.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
My Holy grail Alpine 7909 30th anniversary model, #291/300.

I wonder if there's a difference in value of say, Unit 1/300 v 300/300? Or the even more Rare, the same Person owning each? Imagine that! I've seen you post pics of this unit several times Robb and each time I realize why you are holding out installing it let alone powering it up. Kudos to you!

·
Registered
364 Posts
G&S, forgotten by most. Some of the best stuff I heard back in the day had G&S speakers. There's a local guy who did some amazing builds back in the 80's-90's using G&S speakers including the Redline subs and their mids and tweets paired with HiFonics VII and VIII amps. I had a quick tour of his NOS G&S stuff in his shop a few years back... he has tons of it and it really brought back memories. I have a handful of their amps, also excellent. It's been years and years and I can't remember who they contracted with. PPI if I recall but I'll get around to cracking some open one of these times and check them out.
If your local guy is willing to part with some of the old G&S Redline speakers I have a shopping list ;)

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
If that "junk" is in the way you can always feel free to impose on me. I might be able to be bothered enough to help you out ;)
Same Here! Nice stack of "Junk" 😉

Reactions: rmenergy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very nice, I collect old school SS as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well this got me back into car audio after a 30 year break . I pulled the big Orion to clean pots and switches . Might recap it too . Orion Cobalt 465xp and 265 from around 1996 . The 465xp was brand new 6 months ago . The eq is a PPI PAR-225 from the early 90's . I wanted to pull the 465xp so I bought a JL Audio Slash 500/1 . The 265 will come out when I am done with the 465xp and I will use that for highs . Since its a 4ch amp I can run more speakers and use a 2 ohm load in stereo to get full bang out of it .
Right now I have 2 12" Punch 1's , 2 fosgate tweets and Skar midbass . Highs crossover with MTX passive and Orion filters and woofer is crossed over with JL amp

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sent you a PM about that 3656. That’s really minty. I currently use one as well, with a 3523 and two 3539 amps. It’s an awesome crossover. So much flexibility for being over 30 years old. Be careful with the RCA jacks. They are fragile at this age, especially with tight-fitting cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10801 - 10820 of 10844 Posts