DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Old School Showoff Thread

3M views 11K replies 1K participants last post by  tintop 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lets see what everyones got... I've mostly got SS stuff but picked up a NIB Lanzar LXR100 today. Gotta get the out and get some pics.

#539 ·
They will sell. I know of a collector who has a pair of them. Neat changer setup. I would like to have the changer, but it would have to be cheaper than that right now. If he comes down to about $700 I think it will sell in old-school car audio market. But then again, most of the prices in old car audio gear have dropped so much lately that it might have to get cheaper than that...

#542 ·
Several of my 4 channel amps, not the best of condition, yet these are great mid/tweet amps:

Back in 1988, give or take a year or two, I had four of these amps. As rough times hit, I sold 3 of them, kept this one. Use to have two 1/2 DIN Techniques EQ, wish I knew where they went.

Back then, we use to swap out equipment so much. M&M Godfather, Blues, Atomic, Coustic, Fosgate, Orion, Alpine, etc. Best of all, that equipment was solid.

There's some NICE old school items in this thread.

Late!

#557 ·
Here's some of my amps and other audio i have collected over the years. Just love this hobby. I have a few more not in these pics. Some one wanted to see my ARC 4000se, it is next to the earthquake4300, dam neer the same size. Sorry if the pics suck, i am trying to figure a few things out with windows vista..

Attachments

#559 ·
DAMN! That is an amazing stockpile you have there! I need to start building a collection. I was lucky enough to get into car audio right at the end of the "good" era before all the buyouts and overseas outsourcing. My first amp was a reference 300 running a SS SPL12. When i think about all the setups i worked on in high school with 2nd,3rd, and 4th hand equipment i get sad thinking about what became of some of that stuff. It was only a few years before the "brutus" became all the rage and people started getting rid of the old RF, PG and Orion stuff i used to come across

#562 ·
No pics, but I always wanted that Fujitsu Ten component setup. I thought it was a 5 piece, but could have been a 6 piece. Not sure. It was in all the early car audio mags. Just never saw one in person till years later. Still want one of those FT component setups...

#564 ·
What type of old school decks are you looking for? Brands, models, CD-Cass, ect ? My luck lately on Ebay has been horrible. Mainly due to packing problems, or just flat out not mentioning the amp has been under water, burned holes in the board, their buddies tried to fix it using a pocketknife and a cigarette lighter to resolder in the transistors that burned in half, ect... I even had one the other day that had a toasty board. Everything was re-routed to the terminals to make it look like both sides (2 channel amp) worked when only one did. Just had bad luck lately on Ebay...

#565 ·
Yeah...I'm bracing myself for a bad ebay experience. I've been fortunate thus far, but it's bound to happen sooner or later when you buy used/old stuff especially. I hope you haven't paid much for the bad items you've gotten lately. I am waiting for an RFX8140 to arrive, but don't know what to expect from it as far as condition. As far as the (cd) decks I'm interested in: the RFX8250 and/or comparable Denon model, Sony C910 and/or C90, possibly an older Eclipse model (just got a BNIB 8053, but might try something older as well), among others possibly; some of the newer ones I'm interested in are the Nak700ii and DRZ. I have a bit of a car stereo addiction right now, I guess. My goal right now is to find out for myself if there is a significant sound quality difference among some of the famous cd players out there, past and present. My ears may not be able to tell the difference between a Denon and a Jensen deck for all I know, but I want to find out!

#566 · (Edited)
Too new of stuff for me. For the older CD decks, the Alpine 7803/4 is about where my knowledge stops. That model came out after the 7903/4/9 ... But for the Ebay items, ask for them to use lots of bubblewrap and pack it tightly into an oversized box. Even offer a few $ more for the extra care. Double boxed does not help without good packing either. Gotta have the bubble. Lots and lots. Then some will listen, and some will throw it in a box with a half sheet of newspaper and call it packed. You take your chances...

#567 ·
DO not if at all cost use USPS !! They are told to go fast.. Avoid sellers that state FLAT RATE BOX !! You must write fragile all over it. I even make carry handles for larger boxes. I have had more than my fair share of broken amps. Of the shippers i have used, FEDEX has been the best for me.