DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There used to be this guy on Car Audio Junkies, named Queef... he eventually got banned.

Just saying.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
I thought the Holmz ratio was PRs to subs. :)...
1:1... for long throw PRs.

But 2:1 for 15"/18", or 10"/12" or short throw PRs... :cool:

... Care to name your feeling to $ ratio? ;)
I feel like if he used a hollow pipe port, that the subwoofer would sound somewhat louder.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1:1... for long throw PRs.

But 2:1 for 15"/18", or 10"/12" or short throw PRs... :cool:

I feel like if he used a hollow pipe port, that the subwoofer would sound somewhat louder.
WinIsd Pro shows anywhere from no loss to only 1/2 of 1 db.
And I'll tell you, for only 1/2 of a db, the PR's are really cool... Take up less space than a port tube, easily adjustable tuning, and zero port noise even with crazy low bass notes 🙂

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Yeah but the port noise makes the ports sound louder,if they are small enough in diameter, and in a larger diameter, then a big ol tube hanging half out like a submarine periscope tube commands something... from someone...

Seriously, if cost is not an issue, and space is an issue, then it is hard to beat a PR.

Anyhow, are you going to try adding any more weight to the PRs and playing organ music, or some other deep low tracks?
Or are they pretty good they way it is?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah but the port noise makes the ports sound louder,if they are small enough in diameter, and in a larger diameter, then a big ol tube hanging half out like a submarine periscope tube commands something... from someone...

Seriously, if cost is not an issue, and space is an issue, then it is hard to beat a PR.

Anyhow, are you going to try adding any more weight to the PRs and playing organ music, or some other deep low tracks?
Or are they pretty good they way it is?
Ya' know, I sure thought I would end up playing with that... But 1) I honestly can't imagine how I could tune it any better than it is ? I've never been able to move that much air... The 20 hz test tone is rediculous, yet it plays 80 to 100 hz bass incredibly well too ! 2) I think I probably glued them somewhat in place with bedliner right up to the edges. Might be kind of ugly getting them out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If they sound that good, why are you going to mess with them?
The same reason a lot of the guys here, do a lot of the stuff they do to their systems.... To try to make it sound even better 😉 Or should I say, because tinkering with this stuff is fun.

Heck, most everyone here thinks a DSP is going to help a lot, and they haven't even heard my system.... But I do agree that will help anywhere from a little, to a lot, depending on what I'm playing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I’m in east TN if you want to come by and give me a listen. I’ve got a laptop, high-end mic preamp, and a high-end measuring mic. I’ll be glad to help. Lol!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ehh... Maybe. Might try to find a cheap refurbished one.... Just don't think I'd use it much....

Here's another thing... Once I get my DSP installed, I'm really going to be looking for somebody to tune my whole system, not just the DSP, but all my gains and such. I haven't went over to talk to my old buddy Steve Meade, but I will as soon as I get the DSP + the new 4 ch amp. Heck if he wants to put the whole tuning session on YouTube, I'd be okay with that Plus I'm sure he has 2 or 9 laptops laying around
You know this forum is called Do It Yourself Mobile Audio, right? But I get it, the learning curve can be quite steep, sometimes you need someone to give you a push.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You know this forum is called Do It Yourself Mobile Audio, right? But I get it, the learning curve can be quite steep, sometimes you need someone to give you a push.
Yes, well I'm quite confident that I'll be able to get the DSP installed, and able to get it somewhat dialed in, just by ear, and knowing about my cabin gain situation is.
Then, if it takes me a bit to find someone with a laptop and mic, that's fine. I'm sure there are 500 guys in my town (Sacramento) that could do this... It's just a matter of finding one.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts