DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 'identical' MB Quart Q4.80 amps. They were both bought brand new by me a few months ago. They are both running the exact same things.

One of them has always been a little, um, "special." This little guy will be happily playing whatever I ask it to without complaint. Suddenly all drivers on the left side of the car (the side the gimpy amp controls) will cut out for a split second only to cut back in and have to skip some audio to catch up with the right side. That's all that happens. It does this with no consistency whatsoever and at any volume and frequency and temperature. The amp doesn't overheat. It does this regardless of where I set the gains. It's never been dropped or mishandled (that I know of), there's not a scratch on it. It usually does this once in the average 35 minutes I listen to the car every day, and that's it. Other than having that hiccup, it plays beautifully and flawlessly.

I know every single amplifier is slightly different because no two parts they have are exact clones of another, but what gives, this isn't OK. Should it really be doing this just because the guts' electrical qualities are ever-so-slightly different? This is bad, especially when I will be competing soon.

So my question is: why is this happening, and can I fix it, or should I just get rid of it and buy a different one?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Catch up to the right side? I don't get it; isn't it just an amp?

Anyway, my first thought is bad RCAs. You can test this pretty easily with a spare by running it over the seats or wherever it needs to go, there's no need to pull out your existing RCA until it's time to replace it. Bad RCAs can have a mind of their own; they'll play fine as you run over a big pothole and then they'll act up when the road vibration is just so.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
sounds to me like the problem resides upstream from your amps.
have you swapped the amps around to see if the problem follows?

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I agree swap things to make sure its the amp. Are you running the amp at the lowest or too low ohm load, is there a short in the speaker wiring to ground, any issue with power supply to it, even a bad remote wire? Low loads can do it though usually more at high output, because some amps the sensing is not that good and could vary between amps. Short to ground I've seen do this many times. If none of that works out sure I would swap it out for another. Also check all the controls/switches and the RCA plug on the amp they can have shorts that do this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I was wondering if you were able to resolve your problem with your amp hiccups? I think I have a similar problem wherein the front speakers will randomly lose volume for a split second and then return to normal. It's really very hard to trace the problem for me since it happens randomly and rarely like once to twice a day. I would like to complain my problem with the shop installer but it's very hard to substantiate my problem because it does not occur often. I'm not sure whether the amp is to blame. It could be any other component of the audio setup.

My setup btw is:
DLS CA31 - 3 channel amp
DLS RM6.2 - 2 way speakers
DLS RW12i - subwoofer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts