DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1739 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Looks European and will probably be competing in EMMA (if doing competitions).

This is one of the most insane installs that I've seen in a while-

www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=66958

A little late....http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29731

But still worth the mention again. Those copper bars are probably the most innovative and interesting things I have seen for a while.
Lots of work and amazing fabrication skills indeed.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yeah I read that earlier, it's a much more detailed build thread too. It does look good, but I can't agree with the speaker or HU placement :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for posting it in the install section i would have missed it otherwise as its rare i go to the off topic section.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
That's too cool!

I got DAMN good at bending tubing when working in Nat Gas Storage. All my grounding in the shop/Ham Shaq is done in copper tubing, just never thought about implementing it in automotive work.

One question though, wire mashes and holds, copper bends and keeps bending..... could that cause connection integrity issues over time, but then again... WHO CARES! IT looks too cool not to go back and snug things up every now and then :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I ran the same copper tubing in my van install but used it for running the power/speaker wire inside it but w/similar angles....I didn't take time to polish it though, being in a work van....

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
That's too cool!

I got DAMN good at bending tubing when working in Nat Gas Storage. All my grounding in the shop/Ham Shaq is done in copper tubing, just never thought about implementing it in automotive work.

One question though, wire mashes and holds, copper bends and keeps bending..... could that cause connection integrity issues over time, but then again... WHO CARES! IT looks too cool not to go back and snug things up every now and then :D
What about drilling and tapping the tubes so that the hold down screw screws into the tube?? That might do it and thos etubes look friggin sick like that!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
nope...but a 5" can only do so much from 60hz to 20hz....I know theres 4 so about 20" but still....woofers that size arent meant to play that low...atleast thats what Ive been taught
If they didn't want them played that low they wouldn't tell people to do it. Those are TRUE 5" subs and no, they're not going to shake panels like a 12" will, they are very, very capable drivers, especially in groups of four.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If they didn't want them played that low they wouldn't tell people to do it. Those are TRUE 5" subs and no, they're not going to shake panels like a 12" will, they are very, very capable drivers, especially in groups of four.
But with how much linearity or HD vs a 12" woofer? jsut my opinion...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Nice install sans those ugly arse T Nuts. Just imagine how much cleaner the mounting baffles would have looked with some nice easy threaded inserts...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
But with how much linearity or HD vs a 12" woofer? jsut my opinion...
Lots. Like I said, it's a sub, it plays like a sub, etc. Think of it like this, you know those little Boston computer subs that do well for a 5" sub? Now think of 4 of them together...with MUCH better SQ, volume, and clarity.
I forget who it was, but someone has 4 of them in the dash of a Dodge sedan once and competed. He seemed to do OK with them.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As i wrote on anothe forum, fantastic install :D !!! Shame though that the CF work is predominantly cosmetic. Still a great install non the less. I actually prefer the custom billet pieces over the CF. - Chris

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Lots. Like I said, it's a sub, it plays like a sub, etc. Think of it like this, you know those little Boston computer subs that do well for a 5" sub? Now think of 4 of them together...with MUCH better SQ, volume, and clarity.
I've heard several of the Focal 5" subs. They are nice sounding subs that in certain installs can reach down to 20 Hz but not with much authority above 105-110 dB (at 20-25 Hz). I have seen four of them hit around 130 dB but at around 50-60 Hz. They were more popular in IASCA when their test CD did not have alot of sub 25 Hz bass. When the disk changed with music with more 20-25 Hz bass, competitors re-tuned their systems to make them play upper subbass (30-100 Hz) and had their larger subs play 25-30Hz and down.

I forget who it was, but someone has 4 of them in the dash of a Dodge sedan once and competed. He seemed to do OK with them.
That was Will Adcock with the Reaper I. It was a black on black Dodge Intrepid. He more than competed with it; he won four or five IASCA and USACi world championships in the Expert class with it. I think it won every world finals it competed in. I've listened to it a few times and it was one of the best systems I have ever heard.

1 - 20 of 1739 Posts