DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1739 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is what happened with the Soundstream amps.

Preamp chips upgraded to give better dynamics and detail. The TL074 parts were a good chip back in the 70's but the new parts now are quieter and better sounding.
New caps to give more stable power supply rails and more stable imaging.
Mica sheets conduct heat better than polyamide sheet so the bias is stable.
Bias sensor moved so bias is stable at all temperatures and loads.
HP / HC Switch removed as it's unreliable. Stereo / mono / mixed switch replaced with a new part as it had been pulled apart and not reassembled tightly - risk of a bad connection.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Very nice, Robert! Those changes should make some audible improvements and obviously contribute to the longevity of your amplifiers. :thumbsup: It's always nice to be able to keep the good old school equipment in top shape. :) And not trying to be a jerk here, but I think that you need to send that PC board to MrsPapasin to clean up the solder joints on those transistors. ;) It also looks as if the #C202 ceramic disc capacitor in the 3rd photo could use a replacement.

·
Registered
937 Posts
i’ve managed to cover the doorpanels, and it worked out fine.

the carbon fiber panel where the speakers will get into, is about 90 procent finished. I need to sand and polish it a bit more for a deeper shine.

Bassreflex is also finished. As you can see I sprayed the middle piece in the same color as the moldings in the car. So I have a nice contrast and still, everything blends in nice with each other.

I need to cover the middle piece of the door, and after that, I can start mounting everything.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I can't to see it all assembled Rob. Those speaker/carbon mounts look incredible but I still think the bass reflex is one of my favorite things ever!! Your carbon fiber looks like Lamborghini or Ferrari interior pieces, awesome. :thumbsup: :rockon:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I can't to see it all assembled Rob. Those speaker/carbon mounts look incredible but I still think the bass reflex is one of my favorite things ever!! Your carbon fiber looks like Lamborghini or Ferrari interior pieces, awesome. :thumbsup: :rockon:
Thx Jason. I'm trying to do my bes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow those carbon pieces look fantastic :D I've 'skinned' a few things in carbon and understand the amount of effort required to get that flawless finish :)

Josh

·
Registered
937 Posts
I isolated the doors.

Before I started, I checked again if no water got into the door when it rains. So I went to the car was, and focusses on the doors with the lance.
At home I took the hose and put it onto all rubbers and cracks. In both cases I didn't see a single drop in the doors. Not bad for a bmw of 18years old.
I already noticed before there was only 1 little sloth (2cm) in the door where there could be a waterfailure.

I chose Focal Bam XXXL https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/accessories-and-cables/acoustic-insulation/bam-xxxl

This box contains 3 square meters of damping material. Normally you can do a whole car with this, but when I was finished on the doors, I used almost everything.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Doorpanels are about 90% finished now. Here and there I’m planning of doing a small detail which will be original and cool.
Later more about that…

Here an original doorpanel like they come from the factory.

These were the doorpanels I modified once. The bottom part was fully adjusted to make way for the 16cm Focal speakers.
EVO1.

Here some pictures about how they will look now.
Evo 2 (there will not come an Evo 3)

These are some pictures when the white lighting is on, when the door is opened.
On pictures it looks like it’s blue, but in real life, it’s white…

There’s a LED strip underneath the door, in the storage compartment and behind the door handle.
The one behind the door handle needs some more modification, I don’t like it that way

You can also see the white lighting coming out of the bass reflex.

The orange inner lighting was also finished, but it wasn’t like I wanted it to be. The orange strip I’ve used was TOO orange comparing with the orange interior lighting (original BMW)
This one is a bit more red. So some work is planned to get those strips out, and make them more red with a marker.
This will take a couple of hours, but when it’s all done and merges into the rest of the lighting, I’ll be very pleased.

·
Administrator
2,486 Posts
I know at this point the quality of your work shouldn't surprise me, but it still does. I would be willing to bet a BMW tech would have to be convinced that's not some sort of M series panel he's not seen before. Amazing fit and finish.

*tips hat*

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
I'm with Jason. Every time I get an email notification for this thread, I know I am in for something cool. Still, every time I am blown away at the level of design and execution.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I know at this point the quality of your work shouldn't surprise me, but it still does. I would be willing to bet a BMW tech would have to be convinced that's not some sort of M series panel he's not seen before. Amazing fit and finish.

*tips hat*
I'm with Jason. Every time I get an email notification for this thread, I know I am in for something cool. Still, every time I am blown away at the level of design and execution.
for real. badass.
THX Dude's.

I've done my best and there has been a lot of work, but I've forgotten that again

1681 - 1700 of 1739 Posts