DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy the IDQ15V2.D4 for my car and install it in the boot of my sedan.

I will be giving it about 550 W of RMS power from Genesis Profile Sub monoblock and place it in a sealed enclosure of about 1.5 - 1.75 cu. ft.

From what I have heard, IDQ's are known to be very musical, and are fast, hard hitting subwoofers. I like listening to music in such a way, that the sub should disappear during normal listening, but if the occasion calls for it, the sub must be audible. It should come off as robust, crisp and fast bass.

Will the idq15 keep me happy keeping the above requirement in mind? Or should I think of 2 IDQ12 v2s?

I don't want V3's because they are known to be more boomy than the V2's. I dislike any kind of boomy bass and prefer listening to each note as it's intended to be heard by the producers of the music.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I hate to tell you almost any sub in a car will be boomy without EQ. My IDQ15v2 was real boomy in my civic hatch, but not too bad in my Scion tC. It still needs some EQ though. Almost any response anomaly can be EQ'ed out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there a tutorial to EQ a sub available???? I am sorry for the noobish question but i have no idea what you are talking about!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Every car is accousticaly different, which leads to reflection, cabin gain which does spike or cuts certain freq. If we use same drivers in various different car one may get different performance from each car. Incase of low freq. P.eg or gr.eq allows one to boost or cut the the particular freq. To make it sound as per our taste after learning where and which freq. is boosted or weak. Almost any driver can be made to sound boomy or tight. But every sub has certain amount characteristic.

I have been using P.eq on my clarion 785 since day one. As it allows me to set the low mids and highs at a particular freq to make it sound as my per taste. the conventional bass treble does not allow you to do that. Eclipse comes with 5 band P.eq which should give you better results.

Whatever you deicde make sure you use the P.eq to make it sound better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never mind. I bought a W12Gti. Gave up on the ID after listening to the ID15.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
^ Yeah. What's up with that. Not that there is anything wrong with the JBL, but I'm curious how you could judge both ID models having heard just the one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts