DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Beautiful amp, but the price is a little nuts. Give me a break. $900 in this market? I've seen ones in similar condition go for $500ish and that's when people had money to spend.

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful amp, but the price is a little nuts. Give me a break. $900 in this market? I've seen ones in similar condition go for $500ish and that's when people had money to spend.

True about the price. It's a great amp, but for $900...

I haven't seen any for sale in a while though...

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I haven't seen any for sale in a while though...
Finding one in this condition is pretty impossible, and here's why... the MC500 was unique among all the other Soundstream amps, in that the case is not anodized- it is painted and cleared. The process didn't work and the first runs failed (cosmetically) in use and were recalled. The ones that are around now are the second attempt, which was generally successful as the paint and clear didn't blister and fall off, but the heat of use made the coating quite brittle and susceptible to chips and scratches.
The MC500 was a bit of a strange bird- it shared the topology of the Pass inspired D series and was intended to be a SQ version of a high power amp, but it was right around the time that everybody else was catching on to dedicated subwoofers.
As a strict sub amp it is... not. There really isn't a true sub amp in the anodized line and there's more to say but I'm tired, so I'm signing off.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
His prices for the other amps are very reasonable, just not the MC500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts