DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a project that I have been working on for a while. It is an open baffle "hybrid" two-way design. Open baffle part is an 8" fullrange driver, there is also a 12" sub in a sealed down firing cabinet. The sonic characteristics of this design, after alot of experimenting and modeling, is incredible. The sound stage is massive. Much wider and deeper than the speakers are placed. The stage is also very focused and dimensional. It has layered depth like very few systems I have ever heard. These speakers make the room itself disappear. Bla bla bla......here is the build.

Here is a 3D model of the finished product.

Onto the construction.

A pile of CNC cut parts to be assembled.

First the sub. It is made up of 3/4"MDF layers. The wall thickness of the cabinet ranges from 1"-3 1/2" thick. Very STOUT.

Now for gluing, stacking, and clamping......

Here is the sub cabinet.....minus the two layers that will make up the top.

Same process for the tower.

Here is one sub and one tower glued together and ready for sanding then fiberglass.

Here with the insert in place. The insert will eventually have an exotic veneer applied.

Now for the sanding......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And some fiberglass.

Next is some filler to make sure these are smoooooooth. After all they are going to be painted a high gloss black.

Starting to get a flat surface.

Here is the fit on the insert.

And the sub insert.

Here is a close-up shot of the Bosse veneers grain.

Applying the veneer.

tower.....

sub......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the pieces trimmed and ready for a lot of clear to get a mirror finish.

Finally attached the base for the tower.

Here is the base for the sub cabinet. It has an extra "ring" to allow more room for the sub to load on the floor. Both the sub and the tower have spikes as well.

Here is one sub/tower ready for paint. The other soon to follow.

Notice the sub doesn't contact the tower anywhere. This is to prevent any vibration that the sub cabinet might have from being transmitted to the tower.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Can't wait to see this when I get home. Images are blocked at work, but it sounds like you did a great job. Infinite baffle speakers have a way to make the sound stage sound...massive.

I'm in the process of designing a line array using 12 drivers per side and one centralized tweeter using an open baffle configuration.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Gorgeous! I wish I had a cnc at home, I could do so much! How many sheets of wood went into it?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Would love to see more, and more info on the drivers etc... they look stunning allready

·
18,694 Posts
Guy, I heard an unfinished version of these about a year and a half ago and was hugely impressed. Honest to goodness the best speakers I've heard to date. The dynamicism was excellent. Tonality was my cup of tea. I can't recall my thoughts on staging because I spent the first 30 minutes constantly repeating "what the heck" everytime they'd do something nothing else I'd heard do. The day I heard these was the same day I had spent numerous outs at a local producers house listening to a multitude of setups including tube and solid state amps with $5k (the cheapest set he owns) speakers up to $12k speakers. I heard five different setups at his house. The ones Scott has bested them in every category.
I suppose there's a whole lot to say for an open baffle setup and a good design.

Scott, I didn't realize you were so far along but you have been at these for a while now.

If you need measurements LMK.

Oh, and DIBS! ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Incredible workmanship. Very Inspiring...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wow, that is some really impressive work. I'm jealous of your skill.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If only I had a CNC machine.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
lol. You need more than just a cnc machine. ;)
Lol, I know, but there's no doubting that you can't get those kind of results without one.

·
18,694 Posts
Well, you'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure Scott had someone do these cuts on a CNC machine, but if you're good you can make a single one and use a flush trim bit to make copies. Not saying I would... I'm actually thinking of getting the same folks he used to make me some rings for a build I'm considering in the future (assuming I don't just buy these).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Fantastic build. I love builds like this that are built up of many cnc'd pieces. Thats one of these full range 8's right: Tang Band W8-1808 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver

Do you happen to have a link to the original design specs? Does it require a lot of EQ or any crossover design/construction?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, you'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure Scott had someone do these cuts on a CNC machine, but if you're good you can make a single one and use a flush trim bit to make copies. Not saying I would... I'm actually thinking of getting the same folks he used to make me some rings for a build I'm considering in the future (assuming I don't just buy these).
Been there, done that, and it still requires some tools and time. The problem I have with it is that I either need to find a really good dust mask (the kind that looks like a gas mask with replaceable filters), or I need to have some good dust collection. Routing MDF with a reverse flush trim bit makes a gigantic mess. I usually take my work outside on a bench when I have to route MDF because of the dust it creates.

Real wood though, that's a different story. Not nearly as harmful, and not nearly as cheap.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Fantastic build. I love builds like this that are built up of many cnc'd pieces. Thats one of these full range 8's right: Tang Band W8-1808 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver

Do you happen to have a link to the original design specs? Does it require a lot of EQ or any crossover design/construction?
I imagine you'd need a contour filter to tame some of that top end and a BSC circuit to pick up the bottom end that will fall very rapidly in an OB. Without it, it will sound thin. Not terribly difficult to model.

I've thought about doing something like this recently, especially given the prices available for some of these full range drivers, but the poor off-axis high frequency dispersion of larger full range drivers has prevented me from attempting it. This particular driver however is better than most, although the price reflects that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No bsc needed. Between the shape of the baffle, the design being open baffle, and the response of the driver I haven't found the need for it. The only xover is a simple 6db slope on the low end of the fullrange driver and a 6db slope on the top end of the sub.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts