DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last three weeks slaved away on a project that is a departure from my usual norm.

i call it operation massive clean up...for obvious reasons.

customer contacted me, his 03 TL is looking for a show system...

he provided me with everything except front speakres, relatively entry level, and some what beat up.

pair of arc audio original KAR 12s, a KAR 900.1 and KAR200.2

the cosmetics blemishes were a bit off-putting but thats all he had to work with.

but...the catch was, i need to somehow clean up the air ride system a shop installed into the trunk.

i have worked a few times with air rides before, so i am like okay...clean it up, build a system around it...whatever...

then i saw it...and wanted to go and run off to mama...:D

but in the end, i sucked it up and did it..

just a quick few before and after pics...

again goals were:

to clean up the mess in the trunk, and build a simple system that works okay at car shows...

lets see the BEFORE: :confused:

ummm...yeah...flying wires and hoses every where, expansion takes loosely screwed into the floor, tanks, compressors and valves bolted to a piece of plywood, and throw into the spare tire well, nothing secures it to the car...

yikes...

so the obvious challenge is to reorganize everything related to the air ride system to be presentable, and then find space to present his amps an subs.

so this is hwat i came up with, simple but i think lookin quite a bit cleaner? :)

ended up taking the entire air ride system apart, fitting in the rack with some new valves, hoses and fitting, and rewired it completely.

lifting that rack, weight at an estimaged...80-100 lbs, in and out of the car during test fitment was not fun at all :(

well thats about it, no focus on sq, just...a massive clean up operation for ya lol

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Good job on the ''after'' clean up. I hope he paid you extra to clean up that clusterfvck.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
That's a lot of work to unf*ck that mess!!!! Good save on what was a ghetto rigged setup. It looks nice now. Did the customer like the change? (I can't see how he couldn't)

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah he liked it :) but i am not so sure if i ever want to tackle somethinglike this again...

but i always say that after somtehing like this...when the real thing shows up, i usually take the challenge :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know anything about air-ride or what ever tf it is....
but damm, thats from ghetto to show time! Great work as usual bing.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
That's awesome man. Great work as usual. Are the mesh areas on top of the enclosures functional somehow, or are they just for aesthetics? Either way I definitely like the look. It has a very structured, almost old school feel to it, except with a little modern touch. ;)

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
purely cosmetic, sometihng to break up the swaths of carpet :) definetly an old school look to it, infact, i think a lot of shops try to create something new and edgy that often ends up looking a bit weird to me...a lot can be still said about old school, classic look, symmetry if done well :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You never cease to amaze!:cool::)

·
Registered
1997 Honda Accord Wagon
1,438 Posts
Very Cool man,
looks much better,
reminds me of a sema car that a kid brang to the old shop,,
it was "Oh That Car" big rush to finish it then just let it sit dont turn it on type install...

nice job I hate doing the cleanup stuff..

·
Registered
991 Posts
Bing... great job on the clean up.... I have one nagging question....

Airbags on an '03 ACURA TL?????? Like spats on a hog... thong on a Cow, Bikini on your Gramma... whY oh WHY!?

Rob

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that question, my freind, should not be directed at me :)

i will say it though, i didnt like the car at all the way it loosk when i first saw it, but then, the week or so i was doing the airride portion, and had the car fully dropped to the ground (obviously since no air int he system), it sorta grew on me. i still am not sure if i like it when it raised in normal driving position, but there is a certain coolness when its pretty much touching the ground. i think the older TL, being a longer flater car, is better suited to it than some of the other japanese cars i have seen with air...

hehe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts