DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmm this is how I would rate those 3 (in order from highest to lowest of course). But remember this is a very subjective question...too dynamic. BUT just in terms of SQ reproduction, here goes...

*Image Dynamics
*Resonant Engineering
*Adire Audio

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'm curious as to why many people consider the IDmax such a great sounding sub? Objectively, it would seem that alot of the subs compared against it are much better in terms of less noise, reliability, and lower non-linear distortion.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For SQ application... I wouldn't consider any of those subs.

There are by far much better options for less money.

Such as...The Dayton Titanic MkIII or Peerless XXLS...

·
Registered
6 Posts
racerraul said:
For SQ application... I wouldn't consider any of those subs.

There are by far much better options for less money.

Such as...The Dayton Titanic MkIII or Peerless XXLS...
i dont think the daytyon or peerless subs are necessarily so much better in regards to sq as much as most people dont have the midbass to keep up with the subs mentioned in the title.

·
Registered
531 Posts
never heard the XXX....

heard many installs of the brahma and idmax....

brahma went lower sounded "smoother"....

idmax was very punchy....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Well I have to say that my Image Dynamic subs are very sound quality oriented, and even though I have them setup to produce sound quality, there are specifically engineered to do so. I have heard RE subs before and while they have great output, especially for their pricepoint, the IDs sounded more detailed and had quicker response. I would have to say that my IDQs produce better results than the other subs I have owned in the past (old school past, like USD Audio Pro10s, RF Punch Pro 10s, Soundstream). And all of these have been in sealed enclosures...

But these have been my own personal experiences....and some time next year I plan on getting some Sound Splinter rli10s to play with, cause these things look bad ass, and for a TC Sounds built driver, the pricepoint is excellent as well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Havn't heard an XXX yet but i can't wait.

I have a 12" MAX in a 1.3cuft sealed enclosure stuffed with acoustastuff, 500watts @ 2ohms, playing from 40hz @ 12dbs with subsonic filter at 15hz ( i think i might have turned the subsonic off, cant remember). It sounds awsome, I love the way it sounds.

I heard a Brahma before and wasn't impressed. It was in a similar sealed enclosure, but it made a lot of noise. Could have been just that one speaker though.

These subs might not be the best for SQ, but I love being able to turn up the bass. I'm a basshead at heart. The IDMAX get f***ing LOUD.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Casedot said:
I heard a Brahma before and wasn't impressed. It was in a similar sealed enclosure, but it made a lot of noise. Could have been just that one speaker though.

I had a total of three 10" brahma's in a 2 month period, all placed in a sealed enclosure with a QTC allignment of .7 w/ a good 500w per driver and every one of them had unbarable lead slap. Dan was more than willing to help, in which I sent them in and they shorteded the lead wires, reducing the lead slap, but even then, they were not barable for a SQ install IMO. Needless to say, I pawned them off very quicky :mad:

Dave

·
Registered
578 Posts
robert crumbley said:
i dont think the daytyon or peerless subs are necessarily so much better in regards to sq as much as most people dont have the midbass to keep up with the subs mentioned in the title.
Can you be more specific? Tuning is key, so I can't make any sense out of that...

The Dayton & Peerless are their equal if not better in SQ @ a fraction of the cost, making them a better value...

·
Registered
103 Posts
FaintReality said:
I had a total of three 10" brahma's in a 2 month period, all placed in a sealed enclosure with a QTC allignment of .7 w/ a good 500w per driver and every one of them had unbarable lead slap. Dan was more than willing to help, in which I sent them in and they shorteded the lead wires, reducing the lead slap, but even then, they were not barable for a SQ install IMO. Needless to say, I pawned them off very quicky :mad:

Dave
I had the exact same experience with the Brahma I heard. Too much noise.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FaintReality said:

Dave
Hey Dave, whats up? Havent seen much of you on the forums lately...FSC mainly. Hopefully thats because you are getting your lift kit installed along with those monster ass tires of yours. (DSZ71 from FSC). BTW...you are always such a huge fan of DLS, curious to know why not try out some of their subs?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think the best way to compare subs, is pure sine waves at a matched spl. That way you can ensure that it's just Sub A vs. Sub B. Most of the comments I see toward this sub or that... also include the car, tuning, and setup which doesn't really help distinguish the good drivers from the bad.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I agree, its all very subjective, however I would like to add cost to the comparison as well. Some subs are nice but way too overpriced or expensive. You may find a sub that is equal with much less price involved.

·
Registered
230 Posts
AzGrower said:
Hey Dave, whats up? Havent seen much of you on the forums lately...FSC mainly. Hopefully thats because you are getting your lift kit installed along with those monster ass tires of yours. (DSZ71 from FSC). BTW...you are always such a huge fan of DLS, curious to know why not try out some of their subs?

I actually got the lift on already (10" Cognito w/ 38" tires on 18" wheels) :D I just don't get online much anymore, and when I do, I am usually lurking around this forum :p

I came very, very close to getting the DLS Iridium subs, but even at my price, its just too hard to justify the cost when I can get drivers like the TC2+ at half the price, and they can sound amazing in the proper setup ;) I would like to play around with the new Dayton reference subs and the Peerless XXLS :)

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.