DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for feedback for the use of a 5 channel system amp vs. 4ch and 2ch for sub. I'm getting ready to install my comps and I will be adding subs in a few weeks. I was wonder what the benifits of a 5 channel amp would be over a 4ch for my comps and 2ch for the subs? I have OZ matirix comps, thinking about some 2 Diamond D310D4's ?For 5ch's,I was considering a jl500\5 (which I have heard nothing but good about) or a Massive Audio 950.5(which I can't find much on). I'm not trying to break the bank so if I do 2 amps I was thinking about a Cadence TXA6004 and a TXA3004? Any pro's and cons you guys could offer would be great. ;)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
5 channel would be easier to wire. Single wires vs multiple or a distribution block. I dont really see any other advantages unless you cant fit multiple amps

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I have a kicker 700.5 and yes the install is bomb compared to more amps. It works ok but I want to try some other amps and now have no room...oops. I just found a refurb alphasonik on that Dak place for 100 plus ship seemed like a deal but don't know about the place or the amp.

So if you think you want a larger amp later, that is a downside, or if you want to go active and need more channels, like to audition other amps, etc. Otherwise I'd say it is quite convenient.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. The Kicker 700.5 was also a consideration. I'll probable be one and done with the install, not doing too much experimentation. Any opinions on the amps mentioned above?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Only one I've used is the kicker, it seems a little weak on the highs at 4 ohms IMO but the sub hammers good on my IB subs. My subs go far louder than the doors. But I've not tested another amp in there yet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have installed 5 channel amps in the past and there are two sides. For one if you must get a 5 channel, get one like a Soundstream Reference 705 that has enough power to meet your needs. At minimum 50 by 4 for highs and 250rms for subs. I would suggest 75rms for highs because you never have enough power and headroom. As for two tens also, you probably will use at least 250rms so the Soundstream will put out 400rms of clean power, but make sure the load is at 2 ohms presented to the amp. There aren't many 5 channel amps out there that are robust enough to provide an entire system because they normally undersize their power supplies and run out of steam. Myself I would like a 4 channel and a 2 channel because there are two seperate power supplies for the amps and thus more headroom.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Myself I would like a 4 channel and a 2 channel because there are two seperate power supplies for the amps and thus more headroom.
Couldnt agree more
If i was you i'd go with 2 amps...a 4 channel amp and a 2ch or mono amp to drive the subwoofers.
Like knever said....the 5 channel amps ussually dont have enough juice for the entire system.....besides....lets say the 5channel amp goes bye-bye....u will have to replace the whole amp....while if the 4 channel would die, u would still have the mono/2ch that drives the subs....
Easy fix than to replace one amp that drives your entire system
And with 2 amps u can also set your system better IMO.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Starlet- I did think about that very thing. AMP goes bye bye, whole system is down for repair.
Knever- I love that Reference705, most of the ones I've seen are steep price though. The reason I looked at the JL and the Massive was because of the power to the sub channel. Massive is stating 550w on the sub, not sure how much is clean though. Massive also states their 5ch amp has 2 seperate powere supplies. SOunds to good to be all true...lol

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
25-Life Power 1000 or Memphis Belle. All others are imitations.
Starlet- I did think about that very thing. AMP goes bye bye, whole system is down for repair.
Knever- I love that Reference705, most of the ones I've seen are steep price though. The reason I looked at the JL and the Massive was because of the power to the sub channel. Massive is stating 550w on the sub, not sure how much is clean though. Massive also states their 5ch amp has 2 seperate powere supplies. SOunds to good to be all true...lol
The Memphis and RF's have the highest sub power. Check also into the Elemental Designs 5 channel. It is physically HUGE, but has the most versatile X-over I have ever seen on an amp. It also has some damned fine output numbers.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I popped the cover on mine but I forget, however the kicker is a class D on subs and AB x 4ch, so I am 99.9% sure they are separate amps and PS since the sub would have much higher rail voltage. I have it running 4x70rms highs at 4 ohms (IIRC 85/ch @2 ohms) and 420rms x1 for sub at 2 ohms. But yes I agree a 4ch and a class d sub is what I will run, or maybe 2 x 2ch since I have some pairs I will try as well. And I'll run another 2chs for midbass if I can fit them in the car--if.

But I put a 5ch in this car because of lack of space with four 12s IB, and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure the issue is the amp on highs so I'm not going to trash kicker just yet. On the other hand if you are not worried about really loud the kicker should work fine I've run it 2yr now with no issues and it is far from a bad amp. I bet it would really run as a 3ch or on 2 ohm speakers. And I only paid way under 200 shipped, so hey, what is to complain. I did dial up the subs and clip them a little (~100rms per 12 I can't even xmax them) with a meter on it and shook the car, it showed a peak of 74 amps. But I can't run it that hard in use because I can't even hear the highs then.

I've heard a few people say the RF power 1000 meets their needs. I like old SS and have a couple, but I try to stay class D on subs to save power....and really that is another reason I want to go separate sub amp is so I can run old school (or whatever I end up liking) on highs and keep class D on subs so I don't have to screw with more wiring/alternators/etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Casually browsing CL and found and Autotek 5750 for $80. Seems like a good deal, but I wonder if it would fit my needs on the sub channed since it is not D class? 75 Watts X 4 Channels & 200 Watts X 1 @ 4 Ohms 100 Watts X 4 Channels & 350 Watts X 1 @ 2 Ohms

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here are the main differences between your 2 options:

1. Installation - What type of install you are doing in your trunk can determine which setup to go with. Some like to have 2 amps for symmetry, or just one big amp on display. The dimensions of the amps will also play a role. Sometimes the 5 ch is too large to fit into a stealth set up, and it is easier to hide 2 amps, or vice versa.

2. Flexibility - A major downside to the 5ch route is flexibility. There are not that many 5 ch amps, as compared to 4ch and 2ch, so you have less options to begin with. Most of the time, the power output configurations for a 5 ch amp aren't always optimal to your setup. Either the 4ch output is too low, or the sub output is too low or doesnt play at the right impendance, limiting your sub options. Also, if you ever change your setup or need more power, you have to sell the 5ch and start over instead of upgrading just a sub amp, or adding an additional amp. The sub output isn't always class D, which may or may not be a problem depending on how many amps your car can sustain.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
The only difference with the sub channel being D is the amp should take less power from your car. I run my kicker zx700.5 on a 5ga wire with little drop. I managed to clip the subs to a 74amp draw on it, but I can't even hear the highs then and never play it like that in use. It draws much less power with the 4ch maxed out and heavy bass where I can still hear the highs. If you ran a meter you would be amazed, at max volume I was seeing ~30A average, I had to turn the subs way up and clip them to get 74 peak. I do have four 12s IB and ~100rms each they get is way more output than the 4ch, but if you had a box you would likely use more sub power. I only crank them up for fun not listening and really I don't care once the highs puke I'm done.

"They break a lot" is certainly the largest problem with new amps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.