DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post here on the forum but not really a car audio noob but looking for a little advice.

I just traded in '13 Nissan Altima and pulled out a couple things to transfer to new car('15 Lexus IS250). I had in the Nissan:

JL C5-650 6.5 Components
JL 12W6V3
JL HD600/4
JL HD750/1
Alpine PXA-H800

I just sold the 4 channel HD600/4 on ebay and never pulled out the components. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of them, I can be really picky on speakers but really had no intention of putting a crazy stereo in.

I just put the sub and mono amp in today which helps slightly tide me over until put in the rest. I do see myself eventually replacing the JL sub for something more high end, but it does the trick for now. I also plan on carrying over the Alpine PXA-H800. I never played around enough with it in the Nissan to get the soundstage sounding great, maybe that is why I really didn't care much for the C5-650 set, but I do want to give it another go in the new car.

So here is where I am stuck. Number one, I will need to pick up a new 4 channel amp. I would like to keep it below $700. I am completely open on suggestions.

Secondly, component set. I am leaning towards picking up the 6.5 Scan Speak set from madisound. I have never have gotten to listen to their larger drivers yet but I previously had two of the large diameter Revelators(Was 10 years ago but equivalent would be one of the D2904s) in custom kicks and LOVED them. Would I need their passive crossover if I would just be running it active on the processor anyway? Was thinking of skimping to the cheap crossover to save money there and get the D3004/6040-00 BE tweeters.

Last question would be on the midbass. Not even sure if it would fit as I haven't opened up the door panels yet on the Lexus but thoughts on adding an 8 in each rear door? Assuming I ran time alignment which, I would, and it's crossover properly, would this have potential to sound good? I don't want to go out of control on cutting front door to add 3-way up front and not sure I want to lose the leg space by dropping to a kick panel.

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

endnovel

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hi All,

First post here on the forum but not really a car audio noob but looking for a little advice.

I just traded in '13 Nissan Altima and pulled out a couple things to transfer to new car('15 Lexus IS250). I had in the Nissan:

JL C5-650 6.5 Components
JL 12W6V3
JL HD600/4
JL HD750/1
Alpine PXA-H800

I just sold the 4 channel HD600/4 on ebay and never pulled out the components. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of them, I can be really picky on speakers but really had no intention of putting a crazy stereo in.

I just put the sub and mono amp in today which helps slightly tide me over until put in the rest. I do see myself eventually replacing the JL sub for something more high end, but it does the trick for now. I also plan on carrying over the Alpine PXA-H800. I never played around enough with it in the Nissan to get the soundstage sounding great, maybe that is why I really didn't care much for the C5-650 set, but I do want to give it another go in the new car.

So here is where I am stuck. Number one, I will need to pick up a new 4 channel amp. I would like to keep it below $700. I am completely open on suggestions.

Secondly, component set. I am leaning towards picking up the 6.5 Scan Speak set from madisound. I have never have gotten to listen to their larger drivers yet but I previously had two of the large diameter Revelators(Was 10 years ago but equivalent would be one of the D2904s) in custom kicks and LOVED them. Would I need their passive crossover if I would just be running it active on the processor anyway? Was thinking of skimping to the cheap crossover to save money there and get the D3004/6040-00 BE tweeters.

Last question would be on the midbass. Not even sure if it would fit as I haven't opened up the door panels yet on the Lexus but thoughts on adding an 8 in each rear door? Assuming I ran time alignment which, I would, and it's crossover properly, would this have potential to sound good? I don't want to go out of control on cutting front door to add 3-way up front and not sure I want to lose the leg space by dropping to a kick panel.

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

endnovel
I'm by far no expert, so...

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the only reason to use passives on active tweets would be to protect them from destruction, in the event they were to mistakenly (or due equipment failure?) receive full-range signal.
I'm sure some people do this, but I doubt that it is very common.

As for the 8" in rear doors, I'm under the impression that it would tend to pull your soundstage rearward.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts (and/or correct me where I'm wrong).

Good luck with your project!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts