DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a semi budget sq build for my C4 Corvette. Nothing too crazy, but better than the cheap stuff I did a few years back. I've run into a few brands that I've never really heard much about, or don't know much about their speakers. Looking at speakers in the 200-400$ per seat area Hoping people could give their opinion on the following brands.

Image Dynamics - I've heard good things about their subs, not sure about their components.

CDT - I remember a brand with a similar name that people used to joke that friends don't let other friends buy, their speakers looked cool but were kinda crap sounding. Not sure if it's them or another brand though.

Massive Audio - I knew their amps, nothing about their speakers. The FK6, FZ6, and Carbon 6 are all enticing to me. They also have some nice looking shallow 8"subs I'm interested in (the summo 8s).

CT Sounds - I know nothing about them

Ds18 - seen a few things that were positive on their amps, but their speakers I know nothing about. They strike me as a "we distribute a Chinese made and designed product, but knowing they're from Miami they could be some ex JL types... I have no idea.

Focal - I've always heard great things abut them, and I can snag their access line with either the mica or carbon cone in budget. Are there better options though?

Jbl Gti - Admittedly these are a bit out of budget, but close enough used. Are they worth spring the extra for?

PPI Power 3 ways - I've had a hell of a time finding them, and given up on the 2 ways, but are they worth 400 bucks? Is that fancy tweeter that seems so cool actually better? Will it be worth it trying to find somewhere to mount an extra tweeter and having yellow tweets throwing off my sweet red and black interior color scheme?

Any others I should look at but haven't?

·
Banned
338 Posts
Image Dynamics - Some great stuff, some not so great stuff

CDT - good for the price. There is a guy in the forums on here selling some CDT. They are not bad IMO

Massive Audio - i would buy their subs and nothing else, their amps are mostly all overrated and even are some of their subs

CT Sounds - generic designs, mostly marketing, not worth the $

Ds18 - off the shelf chinese crap

Focal - Good, could probably get better for the price though if youre wanting budget. Would recommend at least swinging for the flax and not going with the access

Jbl Gti - I would also consider infinity Kappa, you can snag some deals on ebay.

PPI Power 3 ways - Not sure about these...

I would keep the CDT in mind, JBL, Infinity, maybe a morel virtus 602 if youre looking for a component set or audiofrog gs60 if youre looking for raw drivers

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Top end JBLs are always worth it
Also look at Stevens. The original Image Dynamics founder.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I considered some Kappa Perfects actually, I had a good bit of experience with them back in the day, always found them a little bright, that tweeter was a screamer, but in this car with the speakers mounted really low it might not be an issue.

What Image Dynamics components are good? I've seen a few budget Morel options that fit in the price range, as well as some stuff from Diamond Audio which seems pretty good.

If I wasn't going to go with JBL GTIs, would GTOs be worth looking at, or are those basically off the shelf quality? I'm kinda shying away from most of their standard offerings as they're 3 ohm, and I'll be bridging a 4ch Amp for them, so I'm cautious about going down to 3 ohm on bridged channels.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I haven't heard them. They look solid and jbl always offers bang for the buck but there is a lot out there in terms of raw drivers that might be better. GTIs are another ballgame all together. There was a MS series that was really good. I enjoyed those quite a bit

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
90 Posts
I have used Image Dynamics before. I had a set of chameleons , IDQ, and ID Max. They were all very good.
I heard of CDT before back in the 90's. I am not sure if they are the same company. The CDT was Cliff Designs Technology. They were good equipment.
I have never heard of Massive Audio.
CT Sounds is another i never heard of.
Focal has been around for years and produce some of the best equipment available. However it is expensive depending upon what you are using.
I have only heard of Ds18 because of SPL videos. That is where they seem to be used in.
JBL has been around for a long time and have good quality.
PPI has been around for a long time as well. I remember them for subs and amplifiers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
CT sounds gets a lot of grief. I have a 3 way set up from them that was inexpensive. Are they the great no but for a budget they aren't bad.Think about your budget for speakers, amps, dsp/eq and find out what you can do with your money. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on the last system so I went with CT sounds using a 5.25, 3, and .75 which works for now. In the future I'll change it for sure but for now it sounds good.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I've started to narrow it down based off the subs. I can only fit an 8, and have a modest amount of depth to work with. So, thoughts on below, based on the price points.

Polk MM1 - 300RMS - $100
Alpine SWR8 - 350RMS - $130 (I had type r 12s back in the day and really. Liked them)
ID IDQ8 - 500RMS - $160
Massive Audio SUMMO8S - 400RMS - $130

The units will be going into the stock Bose boxes in my car. They're pretty small, and probably not the most well sealed or stiffest things in the world. Thanks to advances in modern class D amps, I'll be able to power any of these subs with plenty of headroom. So, what's the opinions? Anything else with similar mounting depth I should be looking at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts