DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im getting new subs soon and a friend of mine owns a audio shop and he can get Type-X's for a good deal. I have heard them in the shop but it is not the same as hearing them in a full setup. I know some people seem to love them and I have also seen people bash on them left and right. Could I get some opinions on what your guy's impressions of this sub are? I will probably be getting two ten inch subs and since I rarely listen to hip hop or rap SPL is not all that important. I am mainly concerned with good SQ but still with the ability to get loud. I mostly listen to rock with a little blues thrown in the mix.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i think they require a lot of power (1000 watts each) , but are very good subwoofers if you can give them the power they want/need.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What can you get them for??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Eh. Still pretty expensive if you ask me

I picked up my 12w6's for $375. Look around locally, etc..deals can be had. Since you're looking for SQ, look into w6, IDq, arc, etc. I think you'll be happy with the output and the sq will be on point

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eh. Still pretty expensive if you ask me

I picked up my 12w6's for $375. Look around locally, etc..deals can be had. Since you're looking for SQ, look into w6, IDq, arc, etc. I think you'll be happy with the output and the sq will be on point

I have nothing against the w6 but I have heard them and think there are better subs for cheaper. I would get 2 10in Type-X's for only a little more than 1 12in w6. I have also heard the new IDQs have a problem with the basket cracking.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The offered price itself is an average kind of deal if you look up the online prices. So no reason to rush with the decision. The price of one Type-X subwoofer is pretty close to JBL's W12GTI which has glowing reviews, and the price of 2x Type-X subs is dangerously close to a single Morel Ultimo12 or Ultimo SC or two used Ultimo SC which also have glowing reviews. I'd personally lean towards the subs that have numerous reviews. Type-X, however good it might be, doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The offered price itself is an average kind of deal if you look up the online prices. So no reason to rush with the decision. The price of one Type-X subwoofer is pretty close to JBL's W12GTI which has glowing reviews, and the price of 2x Type-X subs is dangerously close to a single Morel Ultimo12 or Ultimo SC or two used Ultimo SC which also have glowing reviews. I'd personally lean towards the subs that have numerous reviews. Type-X, however good it might be, doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback.
The lack of feedback is why I am unsure what to do. And as far as the price goes, he is an authorized dealer and compared to the online authorized dealers his price is about $100-$150 cheaper. Compared to the unauthorized dealers online, they are about the same price. With him I get full warranty and support. No one around me sells JBL's so I have had zero listening experience. I have heard they are good but I have never even seen them in person. Same goes for the Morel's. I would prefer to have two 10in subs and as good as the Morel's may be, they are also much much more expensive.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have nothing against the w6 but I have heard them and think there are better subs for cheaper. I would get 2 10in Type-X's for only a little more than 1 12in w6. I have also heard the new IDQs have a problem with the basket cracking.
The Klippel says otherwise ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
As I have posted before about these subs, they are great subs, nice tight accurate bass(in a sealed box). The only problem is, they need way to much power to achive their potential. I had 2 of the 10's in my Acura for quite some time running 2 PDX 1000, this wasn't nearly enough to make these come alive.
I listen to mostly hard rock, with some classic rock & blues mixed in, they sound great for this music, but ...... see above.
I still have 3 of these in the garage, where they sit, due to the pointless attempts to sell them for anything near what I feel is reasonable.
Best thing you can do in my opinion, listen to other subs, you will find the sound you are looking for for cheaper in the long run(subs might be cheap, but getting power to them won't be).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Exactly. When you want SQ, why go for 2 1,000rms subs PLUS more money than usual to power them. What's your front stage like? I'd be concentrating on that instead

btw...search your own name. You've created 8 threads on this same thing in the last 3 weeks. By the looks of things, only your ears will tell you what you like

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You should try to find someone who has Dayton Reference subwoofers and have a listen. A pair of them in a sealed box (HF series) or vented box (HO series) would probably sound fine, and they're cheap. I am not good at building boxes, so I'd personally get a couple of 8ohm 10inch HFs, put them into 0.7-1cu ft sealed box each, and wire in parallel for final 4ohm load. They have very good measurements, and with 14.3 mm one-way xmax, you should get some good SPL. If you want the final 2 ohm load, get the 4 ohm versions, but they have lower xmax of 12.3, and IMO, neither 8 ohm nor 4ohm version really needs a lot of power. PE has pretty good customer relations.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly. When you want SQ, why go for 2 1,000rms subs PLUS more money than usual to power them. What's your front stage like? I'd be concentrating on that instead

btw...search your own name. You've created 8 threads on this same thing in the last 3 weeks. By the looks of things, only your ears will tell you what you like

I have 3 threads dedicated to the Type-X. The only reason I posted again (twice) is because I wasn't getting much feedback on the others

1 - 17 of 17 Posts