DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wavering on my trunk setup at this point and wanted to get people's opinions on what they would do.

here's where I'm at...

Car is a 4 door sedan with quite a large trunk. dynaudio goodies are running in the cabin along with zapco amps to drive them too. My original plan was to run 4 IDMax in an isobaric bandpass but I'm 'wavering'. Should I do 4 sealed? ported? maybe different subs?

Before people respond with 'what do you listen to and what is the goal', I want to point out that I'm curious what YOU would do with 4400+ watts of subwoofer power AND WHY!

I personally listen to a wide variety of music including classical, hiphop, rock, and pop. My plan was to have a solid SQ setup but be able to make it stupid loud if I wanted to. I'm not planning on doing any competitions for SQ or DBs and would prefer tighter bass over SPL (i'm sure any 4 woofers could pump out solid spl).

but again...what would YOU do?

EDIT: I'm also planning on playing the subs a quite a low level during 'normal' listening. I don't want to go deaf....just have the ability to do so if I want to :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
What kind of sedan is it? Are you stuck on 12" subs?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Do you care about trunk space? At what impedance does the Zapco put out 4400w? How's your electrical system?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
I would look into running a IB. I have done a good amount of research on it and have still not done it yet. But from everything I have gathered you can make a IB about as loud as a sealed box with out using as much power. Give or take this but half the power.... So then you could be saving a lil bit on the electrical system. I had a 4kw once I never fully used it. I have used a 9.0 a full tilt and its pretty loud enough for me on 3 12's sealed. Just curious have you heard how loud 1) 9.0 is yet? and is that still not loud enough for you??? Running IB should also help you save a lil weight...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really mind losing most of my trunk but a little room for groceries or the occasional small thing would be nice. the spare tire is already getting ripped out.

As for the electrical, I'm definitely planning on beefing up the alternator and stacking another battery.

A 9.0 I'm sure is overly loud enough for me. The 4kw is my "just because" amplifier. Potential to be loud doesn't mean that I have to be loud all the time (I've even considered setups where I'm only using 1/2 the 4kw during normal listening). It's going to be run at 4 ohm bridge....I could have zapco modify it for 2 ohm bridge I suppose.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The amp isn't loud...the speakers its driving can be....

Lots of x9's for mad debeez...but only use 3/4 of the 4kw or else VBA may become a problem.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would sell the amp and get an 1100.1 or something like that and run 1 or 2 subs at the most

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For normal listening I'm really not looking to go deaf or piss off neighborhoods which is why i was seriously considering just running a couple of subs during normal listening with the others shut off.

Ideally looking to have good sound with just the capability to be stupid. Just cause the setup/power is there certainly doesn't mean that I plan on listening to it there all the time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So you realize you are going to need an INSANE electrical system to run that beast right?

Like a couple of runs of the biggest power wire you can buy, and about a 400 amps of alternator(s).

Not to mention upgraded suspension, the amp alone weighs how much? Now add the weight of subs that can take that much power...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup....i know electrical is going to be ugly.... although admittedly, I'm not quite sure 'how' ugly. 0 gauge is already run from the stock alternator to the battery (already located in the rear). Do you think I'd need more? I figured I'd rarely be using the 'full' electrical output of the amps during every day use and thought running 2 sears platinum batteries and upgraded alternator would be sufficient.

Any 'full-blast' listening, could I run that just off of the batteries?

I'm running a zapco 6.0 for up front, a 4.0 for some surrounds and a 2.0 (maybe it's a 2.5, i can't remember) for center channel. Again, i might have some channels turned off for 'normal' listening. This is kind of like my personal show car that I don't really plan on showing off. It's just for me.... :)

I know weight will be a consideration and have a suspension module that is adjustable to level the car back out after throwing in several hundred lbs. Will be 500+hp/500+torque so I'm not too worried about being frustrated with the additional weight...I don't drive that fast anyway.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
that 4kw can probably pull 400 amps by itself (not during normal music listening)

you need to figure out the total draw of your amps.

I think you could run 2 runs of 2/0 just for the 4kw if you were going to do it right. Maybe a 3rd run of 1/0 could handle the other amps.

go to http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/systemdesignassistant.swf

you might as well just use a smaller amp if you don't plan on using this one the right way...

the amount of current available will limit that amp, so you'd better plan on giving it the current - otherwise you might as well get a smaller amp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm.....is there a way to calculate how long 2 batteries would be able to sustain 'full' output? I'd imagine normal listening volumes i should be able to get away with it just fine. Perhaps I'd need to run 3 batteries?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts