DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I couldn't really find any other opinions when I searched, so I threw a new thread up here.

I had been trying to sell my old, round, Solobaric S10D4 subs for a while now. They are in great condition and look almost new. My money situation has changed a little, and I am considering keeping them, now to handle the low end in my 2010 Genesis Coupe.

I'll probably hit them with about 375 Watts apiece in .6 cu ft ea. (2 subs, common chamber around 1.2ft3).

I was wondering how the SQ of these speakers compared to some of today's offerings...I'm considering a 13TW5 from JL or maybe the SI Mag V4, but that's only if I come into the money to pay for them...if the SQ on these is good (at least above average) they might just end up in the car.

Just to clarify, these are the old round single voice coil ISD cone ones.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Banned
189 Posts
OK. I couldn't really find any other opinions when I searched, so I threw a new thread up here.

I had been trying to sell my old, round, Solobaric S10D4 subs for a while now. They are in great condition and look almost new. My money situation has changed a little, and I am considering keeping them, now to handle the low end in my 2010 Genesis Coupe.

I'll probably hit them with about 375 Watts apiece in .6 cu ft ea. (2 subs, common chamber around 1.2ft3).

I was wondering how the SQ of these speakers compared to some of today's offerings...I'm considering a 13TW5 from JL or maybe the SI Mag V4, but that's only if I come into the money to pay for them...if the SQ on these is good (at least above average) they might just end up in the car.

Just to clarify, these are the old round single voice coil ISD cone ones.

Thanks,

Jay
I remember those subs well. Never heard them, heard alot about them. From what I remember, should be a very nice SQ sub ...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have found a pair of the old round 12" for $60 in an enclosure...I might jump on them. :) I have never heard one, but they are supposed to go LOW and sound good doing it. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I used to sell and install those. they sounded very boomy and tubby in the recommended enclosure. i used them in a ported enclosure before porting Solobarics was cool. 1.3 cu.ft per driver 3" port 10" long per chamber. you can always plug the Theile Small parameters into some program and design your own. They work great ported though

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find that with about 375 watts to each one of my Solobaric 10's in .62 cf and some polyfil to get it near the recommended .66 cf its just not as low as I would like. They seem very accurate compared to what I have owned which in the past was RF pro series.

Slomofo - So there were no problems porting them? On the side of my drivers its states that the warranty (I know they are waaaay out of warranty now) would be void if the speakers were installed in anything larger than the .66 cf or in a ported enclosure. Perhaps thats just their rhetoric but I have never done anything but sealed with them.

P

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I still run my round solobarics sealed. I have never heard them ported, only in sealed and 4th order bandpass. IMO, I have not seen or heard a reason to change them. SQ, in the right box they are as good as anything that people say are good today. Once kicker went to the square stuff, they really dropped the ball.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yeah, the squares sound terrible.
i never had a problem with a ported enclosure. i always ran less than the RMS power though, mostly because i didn't have an amp that had more power and couldn't afford to buy one at the time.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I used to sell and install those. they sounded very boomy and tubby in the recommended enclosure. i used them in a ported enclosure before porting Solobarics was cool. 1.3 cu.ft per driver 3" port 10" long per chamber. you can always plug the Theile Small parameters into some program and design your own. They work great ported though
^^^ What he said x 10.
Too boomy in sealed enclosures(small at that). I ran a set of the original 10" Solo-baric's and did nothing but, replace them with two original 10" OZ Audio mineral filled subs and it was like night and day. Porting the Solo's made a world of difference and they could hang with the OZ's after that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I respectfully disagree on almost all of the above. Older round Kickers of any type will sound good, if not better, than many other subs out today...but not in some miniscule box. Even the square ones sound very decent in a properly sized box without a billion watts going to them. Check out Marky Dietrich and his Probe...

Even Solobarics exhibit a huge peak at about 45hz in the recommended box. If 1.2ft^3 is your limit on box size, you may try putting just one in there. It will sound better with a flatter/lower response...at the expense of volume of course. If you want to get crazy, throw it in a 4 cube and prepare to be absolutely amazed.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4ft ea or both?

I actually only have about 1.25ft3 to work with (under a false floor). I've run one and I want more output than I've gotten in the past. They never sounded right to me in my truck or in my Neon, but they sounded decent in a .7ft3 each chamber box in my Eclipse.

I was installing them when the gray ones came out and progressed, but I wasn't really into SQ back then, and I couldn't remember if they were good or bad or meh.
I'm mostly leaning toward a Mag v4...Guess we'll see how things go.

Jay

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I agree somewhat with azetec1. I do agree they want a little larger box than the kicker said. The small boxes work, but it was really a marketing thing. During that time, how many 15" could go in a 1.5 cube box and sound decent. The kicker shop here at the time always made the boxes bigger, but again I cant speak to the sound in a ported.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts