DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade my current system (have stock deck and speakers replaced, powered by 4-channel amp).

On another forums board I posted that I was looking at the Alpine X 12". One member referred me to the Mag v3 instead. (Can't post link, just google Mag v3. First result, SoundIntegrity)

The price is almost half, so I am quite tempted to buy this sub. However, I am somewhat apprehensive due to never having heard of this brand before. If anyone could offer opinions or insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest concern is sound quality, followed by bass depth (want to have good clarity/volume on the low end notes, <45hz).

I can provide detailed information about my system if needed, but really I'd just like to hear a comparison of these two subs.

Moreover, the same poster indicated that the SSA Icon would be the next step up from that sub in his opinion. (Again, can't post link, just google SSA Icon)

My second question is, would it be worth the extra money to go with the Icon if I'm only going to be running a 1200W amp? I'm buying a 1200W Cadence amplifier. Icon is rated at 1250W RMS. If it's going to provide me with higher sound quality, I would strongly consider spending the extra money.

Any opinions or experience that could be provided would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Cmdr Frost

· Banned
24,246 Posts
do you have a box already? would you be open to building a box? the mag is suited for a ported box if i remember correctly. but yes, Stereo Integrity as a whole is a great brand

· Banned
24,246 Posts
ah nvm. but i would suggest getting a program like winisd and model the subs you are looking at and see which one can perform the best in the box size your willing to fit

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately, the poster who referred me to the Mag v3 was kind enough to provide me with some approximate size specs. After hearing your endorsement of the Mag v3, I have decided to purchase it. Thanks for your help!

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Go for it man and as long as you can get 1.75 ft3 and tuned to around 32hz you won't be disappointed, I am running one in my daily and will be running another in my truck. In comparison I have built an enclosure for an Alpine X10 and it got loud but really it isn't a good sub to compare to the Mag3. Go listen to a 12W6 and I would say that is very close to the sound you would get but more output with the Mag3.

· Registered
342 Posts
Never heard the ssa. But if I didn't have room for my HT18 then I would have bought the mag in a hearbeat. I absolutely love my 18, and I'm sure the mag is right up there as well. At the liquidation price, not sure you could beat that sub for the money. Tempted to buy one myself, but I chances are I'll pick up another 18 instead.

· Registered
3,714 Posts
To the OP... if I had to choose between those 3 it'd be the Mag, especially for $140!

Never heard the ssa. But if I didn't have room for my HT18 then I would have bought the mag in a hearbeat. I absolutely love my 18, and I'm sure the mag is right up there as well. At the liquidation price, not sure you could beat that sub for the money. Tempted to buy one myself, but I chances are I'll pick up another 18 instead.

What size box did you go with in your vehicle for the HT18?

· Registered
3,714 Posts
My box is right at 6 cu.ft net tuned to 22hz. Love it. Ridiculous output for only 600 rms. Very smooth and blends very well. Very smooth and accurate. Crazy low end output though!
Oh damn, you went with a tune geared closer to HT! I bet that does dig deep, & helps with having to deal with any peaks accompanied with higher "auto" tunes.

· Registered
342 Posts
Oh damn, you went with a tune geared closer to HT! I bet that does dig deep, & helps with having to deal with any peaks accompanied with higher "auto" tunes.
Yea I did. I tried one at 30hz but there was a big peak that made the upper and lower notes sound really quiet. So i tuned much lower and have gobs of output, with a great response now. Want another to put in my other car. Never had a sub setup so brutal across the board.

· Registered
3,714 Posts
Yea I did. I tried one at 30hz but there was a big peak that made the upper and lower notes sound really quiet. So i tuned much lower and have gobs of output, with a great response now. Want another to put in my other car. Never had a sub setup so brutal across the board.
I'm surprised more people don't use these for mobile setups, I was gonna try a pair of the HT15s in an IB setup but they were already gone by the time I got around to it. I think I may have to get one or two before they're gone.

Thanks for your insight!

· Registered
342 Posts
I'm surprised more people don't use these for mobile setups, I was gonna try a pair of the HT15s in an IB setup but they were already gone by the time I got around to it. I think I may have to get one or two before they're gone.

Thanks for your insight!
Im thinking the large box and low tuning is what does it lol. Seems several people are happy with it sealed though.

My box is almost 9 cu.ft gross... But Im in a Yukon XL with no 3rd row, so I have a little more room than most lol.

If I do pick up that spare, It will be going IB in my wifes car. I can let you know if I end up doing it if you would like

· Registered
3,714 Posts
Im thinking the large box and low tuning is what does it lol. Seems several people are happy with it sealed though.

My box is almost 9 cu.ft gross... But Im in a Yukon XL with no 3rd row, so I have a little more room than most lol.

If I do pick up that spare, It will be going IB in my wifes car. I can let you know if I end up doing it if you would like

Yeah, I should've specified sealed. :)

There's already one guy on here (Mikey7182) that's using a single HT18 IB & says it's phenomenal. But yeah, please share your thoughts if/when it's done.

· Registered
214 Posts
Go for it man and as long as you can get 1.75 ft3 and tuned to around 32hz you won't be disappointed, I am running one in my daily and will be running another in my truck. In comparison I have built an enclosure for an Alpine X10 and it got loud but really it isn't a good sub to compare to the Mag3. Go listen to a 12W6 and I would say that is very close to the sound you would get but more output with the Mag3.
You have no idea how hard I am trying to make 2 of these come to me at that price. :surprised:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.