DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
18,698 Posts
the 4-pin to tos cables are nice. Especially the tos to 4 pin for going back in to a p9's digital input. But what sucks about what was said above... the price. $800 for a single cable! :eek:

·
18,698 Posts
hhhmmm 4 pin to optical toslink?

Digi-Key - TOTX147PLFT-ND (Toshiba - TOTX147PL(F,T))

Sounds like they put that cheap little part on the outside of the box in order to make the interface proprietary and charge you more for a cable.
dude! where have you been for the past year!!!!

I wonder if that would work for the p9/w505?

Here's a pic:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/images/products/caraudio/pioneer/dex90rs_backside_large.jpg

Edit: According to digikey: "the part is obsolete". They do not have it anymore.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Do you think you would have a sonic improvement using this over the original Pioneer cable?
It would have to, or why would they build it :p

There are tons of people who can brag about how much their system cost ;) you wouldn't want to hear them though :(

If it was just that easy ,{$$$$} ,then everyone with a fat wallet would have the best system you had ever heard .

Here's proof > http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/62506-focal-krx3-midrange-disapointment.html

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
the 4-pin to tos cables are nice. Especially the tos to 4 pin for going back in to a p9's digital input. But what sucks about what was said above... the price. $800 for a single cable! :eek:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just cut the output end of the 4-pin cable snap a toslink head on and save yourself a lot of money? you can with clarion's proprietary optical cable. Pioneer didn't reinvent optical technology, all the 4-pin head does is change the same s/pdif signal a standard toslink uses back to their proprietary 4-pin output.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just cut the output end of the 4-pin cable snap a toslink head on and save yourself a lot of money? you can with clarion's proprietary optical cable. Pioneer didn't reinvent optical technology, all the 4-pin head does is change the same s/pdif signal a standard toslink uses back to their proprietary 4-pin output.
What if there's a special circuit inside that plug (who knows what, I sure don't, I'm no EE) that makes it a non standard electrical connection.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What if there's a special circuit inside that plug (who knows what, I sure don't, I'm no EE) that makes it a non standard electrical connection.
I doubt it. Like I said, pioneer didn't reinvent optical technology and as long as their using s/pdif format snapping a toslink head on should work. I bet if you cut that cable you'd find a standard optical fiber inside. I used to own the panasonic 4-pin to toslink cable and although I never took it apart it looked pretty straightforward. It's worth a try and it's definitely better than shelling out $800 bucks for a freakin' cable. Would anyone ever actually spend that much on a cable?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I doubt it. Like I said, pioneer didn't reinvent optical technology and as long as their using s/pdif format snapping a toslink head on should work. I bet if you cut that cable you'd find a standard optical fiber inside. I used to own the panasonic 4-pin to toslink cable and although I never took it apart it looked pretty straightforward. It's worth a try and it's definitely better than shelling out $800 bucks for a freakin' cable. Would anyone ever actually spend that much on a cable?

If I was very wealthy I would. ;)

·
18,698 Posts

there's a special circuit inside the clarion cables so you have to use the right endpiece connector; in the case we're discussing you just buy the right endpiece and put an optical cable on. also, the makeup of those cables are nothing like a 4pin... they're more like a standard RCA and still not even close to the same.
I think I see what you're driving at. Yes, I would think the 4pin cable should work, but from what I can tell the makeup is a bit different on the cable than it is the connector pieces themselves.

That should help.

FWIW, I found a part similar to the one posted, but from a different supplier. I've ordered both receiving and transmitting ends. Cheap enough not to matter much if they don't work, but if they do, I didn't want to pay more shipping just to get another one (receiving end). If it works, I'll post details later. I think that it should, though, after doing some digging today.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
there's a special circuit inside the clarion cables so you have to use the right endpiece connector; in the case we're discussing you just buy the right endpiece and put an optical cable on. also, the makeup of those cables are nothing like a 4pin... they're more like a standard RCA and still not even close to the same.
I think I see what you're driving at. Yes, I would think the 4pin cable should work, but from what I can tell the makeup is a bit different on the cable than it is the connector pieces themselves.

That should help.

FWIW, I found a part similar to the one posted, but from a different supplier. I've ordered both receiving and transmitting ends. Cheap enough not to matter much if they don't work, but if they do, I didn't want to pay more shipping just to get another one (receiving end). If it works, I'll post details later. I think that it should, though, after doing some digging today.
I'm interested in what the results are.

·
18,698 Posts
It'll probably be at least a week. I found some alternatives to the one posted, and also found where to buy the one posted above, but shipping was from the UK and was a $20 surcharge if you didn't spend at least that much. In that case I would've been left with a bunch of pieces if it didn't work. I found another source for some sharp produced connectors, albeit a bit more $, but within the US so faster shipping and cheaper overall.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
That price doesn't come as a surprise to me. I once paid $52 for two eggs, two pieces of bacon, a piece of toast and a cup of coffee in Tokyo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts