DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a yello top optima for my f150, i mhave 500/1jl and 300/4jl amps, one shop said to go with the optima, so i did ... than another said they are junk take it back, get a diehard and add a shuriken deep cycle for amps in back... they said the optima never fully recharges and is garbage anyone know what to do:confused:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Since I posted this quote below, it has held true in the expedition community. I would surely take the word of people who rely on their vehicles operating when hundreds of miles away from civilization over those operating their vehicle within car shows....:)

optimas blow!!!!!!! There are an extreme amount of referneces to their performance on discoweb.org should you like to take a look. Most are complaints of the battery not holding charge after a long deep cycle run.

The best bet batteries, one's that run 40 quart expedition fridges, over 6 auxillary 130watt lights, winches, and whatever else you can think of, are Odyssey batteries.

While no one would spend $350 for a battery, I'll let you in on a hint.

These batteries are rebadged under "Sears Platinum Die hard" and come with a 4yr wrrty for 189.99

These my friend have never seen anyyy horror story. Put it this way, optima is just like bose audio for marketing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Now, people have had success with them no doubt, but no one has a complaint with Odyssey.

The load your running does NOT need a second battery whatsoever

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok bcause right now my lights dim wit the factory battery, its small for a v8 imo...so no extra battery get the sears.... i will try that, i am also gonna upgrade grounds and so on. to try to remedy problem. i listen to music loudddd

·
Registered
962 Posts
Like I said, people do have success with Optima. Unfortunately though, many people have not including me, so of course I'm biased :)

Upgrade your power and ground wires, and find out what you stock alternator is rated at.

The benefit of the sears battery is the ability to walk it in to sears *should* you have a problem, and walk out with a new one in hand. The kicker is it being a rebadged odyssey.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
it gets confusing when a reputable shop says yeloow top, and another says nnnoooo, ist shop says its a deep cycle thats what u want, go, then other say as i run it down with the stereo it never fully recovers is that true? yet optima advertises for the audio . wtf what issues have u had

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Well, I've been using Red Tops to Yellow Tops for the past 10 years or so without any problems.
Yep and now Optima is now old tech.. 10+yrs old..

I to have herd many a account of failing Optima, I went looking at Sears for a DHP and the guy I was talking to said he ran Optima on his trail rig Jeep and said he went through 2 a year (running dual batteries) he went DHP and hasn't looked back...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought a red top form my Interstate guy and worked fine until I drained the crap out of it and then it wouldn't hold a charge. It was under warranty so i just got it switched out.

I have still yet to be proven that there is one godly battery out there.. (excluding the $300 ones...)

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Not 100% sure, but they DO make a marine version..

·
The one true SQ freak
221 Posts
Not 100% sure, but they DO make a marine version..
I've known of SPL guys running those in their cars for years and years. If I needed some serious draw that's what I would get. Any batt for cranking but the DHP Marine for my system

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sears does NOT make their own batteries. They are rebadged versions from other manufacturers (not that this makes them bad).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive had an optima yellow top running my car and stereo with prob a 1000 watts rms. I had the battery for 7 YEARS. And for the past 2 years ive been going to the drive inn and watching double features maybe 12 times a year. JUST had to change it.........Got another optima yellow top..

Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok the advance auto guys said that optima would be good for a second battery they dont recommend it for the whole car in yellow top since its a gel battery, once its depleted it doesnt fully charge.. so the pros at century 2000 in akron said nooooo dont use, get a die hard and add extra battery. horizon audio said use yellow top, so maybe mosts ensible is standard batt for truck for 100.00, like duralast gold and add extra audio batt in parralel for system, what some people dont understand is jl amps are underrated, when they say 500/1, its really more than that thats why in jl specs they dont list rms on class d

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Normally I don't bad-mouth products I have not had bad experiences with but I mod a forum for Hondas and they had HUGE problems with their group 51's. upon DCing them for a while they left those customers high and dry on the warranty. That's not a good thing. The issues were mechanical.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts