·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'll keep it simple.

Got a monoblock for Xmas. 500 RMS.
My baseline is the JL 12-W3.
19 Challenger, will go in trunk.
I prefer SQ so likely in a sealed box (or custom ported?)
What are better options in that $309 pricepoint that's is compatible with 500Watts?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
If you need more info from me, just ask.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Guys, I'll keep it simple.

Got a monoblock for Xmas. 500 RMS.
My baseline is the JL 12-W3.
19 Challenger, will go in trunk.
I prefer SQ so likely in a sealed box (or custom ported?)
What are better options in that $309 pricepoint that's is compatible with 500Watts?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
If you need more info from me, just ask.
Check out Madisound or PartsExpress. Cool equipment on a budget. Also do a search for a dude on here called "Niebur3", he was selling yesterday some nice looking Thiel subwoofers for $300.00 shipped!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Completely agree on the Suggestion by MrGreen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frequency Response : 22 Hz – 160 Hz
Sensitivity (2.83V / 1M): 95 dB
Recommended Amplifier RMS Power Range: 100 W – 800 W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoooly shit. I am emailing them because when going through the website there is a notice about refurbished products right before you get to that option. I'm hoping these are not refurbished units, otherwise for the money this it's an ideal.

This is why I post here, you guys dig up shit from the dephts of opportunities ❤

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I purchased one of these and I think it was a scratch and dent deal. The cone had a little crinkle on it but it sounds fine on 500 watts...besides my 17 yo doesn't mind

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought 2 after asking Andy if they were refurbished, he said no they’re new just discontinued. Showed up in 2 brand new boxes and quick shipping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got a response from him too in regards to the GS12
They are being sold as refurbished (although they are new) because he's changing out the terminals before they ship, and thus, have a 90 day warranty only.

My options so far:
AF GS12
SSA Demon

Decisions and decisions, and it's challenging because they are the same price.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here, read through my thread here. This should give you a ton of really great SQ options. Under appreciated Subwoofers

Also, definitely go ported tuned low and message the cabin gain with a DSP if you can. It will sound better then sealed in my opinion and have less distortion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I think you guys may have me sold on Audiofrog. Here is the catch - Given the pricing, what would you guys do?

1 GS12 or
2 G12

Its the exact same price (give or take a dollar).

Decisions, Decisions.

(and yes, I know someone will say get 42 GS12's, but I am trying to stay at a pricepoint)

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Ok, I think you guys may have me sold on Audiofrog. Here is the catch - Given the pricing, what would you guys do?

1 GS12 or
2 G12

Its the exact same price (give or take a dollar).

Decisions, Decisions.

(and yes, I know someone will say get 42 GS12's, but I am trying to stay at a pricepoint)
I just bought a G10D4, after having done some modeling of the G vs. GS vs. GB subwoofers. What I noticed was that all 3 lines model very similarly, but for each series up you go, you get more output potential. Besides output potential, they are all really similar.

I suspect that doubling your displacement with 2 G12's will more than make up for the output advantage that a single GS12 has.

One factor will be how much power you have, or intend to use. I can model both scenarios with a given power and tell you which option has more output. But, enclosure size will also play a role. If you get 2 G12's will each be in their ideal enclosure, or will you be trying to cram 2 subwoofers in the same amount of space that you could use for 1?

Knowing your enclosures options, and power availability will be important to know which option is best, but with all things equal, I suspect that 2 G12's will have an advantage over a single GS12.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One factor will be how much power you have, or intend to use. I can model both scenarios with a given power and tell you which option has more output. But, enclosure size will also play a role. If you get 2 G12's will each be in their ideal enclosure, or will you be trying to cram 2 subwoofers in the same amount of space that you could use for 1?
Let me give you all the detail I can, if you are bored and care to model!
2019 Challenger, Trunk.
I would like whatever is most optimal for the subs - I found a local shop here that deals in AF so I will have the build the most optimal box for either option.
Amp will be LC-1.800 500 watts @ 4 ohms , 800 watts @ 2 ohms - My guess is to target the 500W at 4ohms as the baseline since the subs on sale are all Dual 2ohm, so if I did the 2 G12, id end up with 2 OHM vs the single GB which id have to run at 4 ohm.

BTW, I super appreciate you taking the time :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just realized something, I said 500 watts not thinking about the actual RMS that these subwoofers are rated at. I know people have used higher, but I have no expertise in that. So perhaps my assumption of 500 being a baseline will be off. I'm sure someone here will dump that knowledge on me 🙈

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Let me give you all the detail I can, if you are bored and care to model!
2019 Challenger, Trunk.
I would like whatever is most optimal for the subs - I found a local shop here that deals in AF so I will have the build the most optimal box for either option.
Amp will be LC-1.800 500 watts @ 4 ohms , 800 watts @ 2 ohms - My guess is to target the 500W at 4ohms as the baseline since the subs on sale are all Dual 2ohm, so if I did the 2 G12, id end up with 2 OHM vs the single GB which id have to run at 4 ohm.

BTW, I super appreciate you taking the time :)
I can work with that power, but "optimal" doesn't help much. To you, is "optimal" the loudest, or is "optimal" the smoothest frequency response? A bigger box will smooth the response out, but reduce output. Give me a rough volume to work with, just estimate how much space you're willing to give up. I put my G10D4 in a ported box at about 1.5cf, tuned to 28hz. Do you have 1cf to work with, 2cf to work with, less than 1cf, more than 2cf? It doesn't make sense to model subs in unrealistic enclosure sizes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point, that was too subjective of me.
Loudest it's not my concern, as I am more into SQ. So a smooth reproduction of frequencies is ideal for me.
Given the size of my trunk I believe that I should have up to 2.5 cubic feet available (the back half of my trunk).

Let me know anything else you need, and thank you!

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I ran these scenarios through WinISD:

A pair of G12's sharing 800 watts
A single GS12 with 500 watts

The pair of G12's wins regardless of the box size you use. You could shove 2 G12's into a 1cf box and still get more output at all frequencies than a single GS12 in any size box. The displacement advantage, and 300 watt power advantage you get with dual G12's far outweighs a single GS12 in any situation. You wouldn't be able to throw enough power at the GS12 in order to make up the difference, because the GS12 won't handle enough power to make up for having a lot less displacement. It's a no brainer, get a pair of G12's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts