DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me more about this amp, as in, how many versions there are, if it's worth picking up, if it's underrated, etc.? Somebody local is selling one that appears to be in good condition; however, all the pictures/info I pull up show a 225r that has a slightly different casing, as is shown here on ampguts: Orion HCCA225R - Amp Guts. Here is the case of the one the local is selling: http://i.imgur.com/UD9ln.jpg. I don't know anything about the different revisions, so I don't know if the different casing means anything.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I bench tested an Orion HCCA 225 G5 and it output 73 watts per channel into a stereo 4 ohm dummy load just prior to clipping with a 50 Hz test tone @ 14.4 volts. I believe the 225R was 2 generations prior to the G5, with the G4 and the R being the two prior versions.

There were also two different versions of the R. I remember one having a pop top crossover and a DIN plug on the end cap and the other one nixing the DIN plug and adding/moving an adjustable crossover to the end cap.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the one I'm interested in isn't the pop-top version, but it does have the adjustable crossover on the side.

Does anyone else know anything about the different cases for the HCCA 225r? It could just simply be a different case w/ the same internals, but I'd still like to know.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Bump. Still looking for any info!
None of the "r" series were pop-tops. All had the crossover controls on the end of the amp. The only difference(that I am aware of) in the two amps you linked to is the etched script on the flat panel on top of the heatsink. I had two HCCA 250r's that each had the different sized "HCCA 250r". One was small and the other large like in the pic of the one you are looking to buy. Just depends on your preference I guess.

Now, there is something else that may or may not matter to you. If you open that 225r up and look at the circuit board, it may OR MAY NOT say "Made In Korea". Some say "MADE IN THE USA". It doesn't seem to matter what is printed on the speaker connection end of the amp (usually says MADE IN THE USA). Apparently, some of the latter boards were made in Korea. As far as I know, there is no performance or reliability difference in any of the "r" series, no matter where the boards were made.

These are my favorite HCCA heatsink designs. They are clean, simple and I like the redesigned look of the laid back fins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts