DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm putting together an o/s Orion system complete with 5 pin dins. Here's my problem; I'm using two amps and the deq-30. The amps take the 5 pin dins, the deq takes mini xlr's. If I use the rca's (on the eq) I get 4 volts and an unbalanced signal. If I use the xlr's I get 8 volts and a balanced signal. I'm looking for mini xlr's that terminate into the 5 pin dins.
I'm confused by constructing my own xlr's because my deq manual references a resistor being installed between two of the three points.
I know some of you guys are like "ya, so"? I'm not that electronically inclined. So here are the options I can present you with: 1) if somebody were to provide me with a step by step illustration that I could possibly construct it from, or 2) someone can provide me with a link to double rainbow land where these cables are already made like this, or 3) maybe someone can talk me through a better way to do this and still get the results I'm looking for.
I'm pretty sure I've included all of the info I need to. But if you need more, I'll post more. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So there's no one here that's had any experience with their DEQ/XLR's that they'd like to share with me?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robert, I saw that awhile ago. I have a diagram on how I should make the mini xlr's, but it's the resistor that throws me off. Mostly because there's more than a few different resistors that will go in there. So I'm lost there.
I went to a couple pro audio shops and got a bunch of head scratching since they don't deal with this type of stuff anymore.I called Kimber Kable and found a guy that was nice enough to sketch out exactly what I need. Now this guy can definitely make the custom cables I'm requesting, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any experience with this before I pay a $#@*load of money to Kimber. I figured I couldn't possibly be the only guy who who's wanted to run Mini xlr's into the stock 5 pin din.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny. No I haven't. The reason I haven't done that is because as far as I can tell, nobody who's already done that has had any luck. There's no one there from before the buyout. And according to those I've talked to who have had old school issues of their own, they pretty much refuse to acknowledge the fact that they at one time made a superior product.
Can't hurt though, right? I'll call them in the morning.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand what you just said. If you meant "when" they were acquired, all of my Orion equipment is pre-DEI. Heck, besides speakers, ALL of my equipment is pre-buyout, (whichever companies apply). I hope that's what you meant!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, nevermind. I think I'm just going to keep my voltage up with preamps. I'm still waiting to hear back from K.K. but I'm pretty sure I don't have the money for a full set of cables from them. Though that would be heavenly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts