DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there's probably not going to be anyone that can , with certainty, confirm or deny the production numbers for any of the GS amps. However, as far as the 300 goes, an owner of one says that there were only seven ever made.
I'm not sure how many were made. But based on their prices when they come up I feel like it has to be more than seven. Any pre-dei Orion or PPI employees?

Thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no, no. You must have seen the same car over and over! Ya, I figured as much, and I'm pretty sure more answers like yours will filter in. I don't want to rain on the guys parade or anything. I'm not even going to correct him. I guess the thing that gets me is that this guy has a collection to rival anyone's here or on the two or three other forums. So when you have that much invested I would think you would know what you were talking about.
Again, not bashing the guy. Just saying that's a crazy a$$ claim!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That thread involves my other point; $1200 msrp. How much did the Concepts go for? I know for a fact there were more than seven stes of Concepts made! The price doesn't reflect such a limited run.

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
The early GS's were all special order, well most anyway. The owners name would come engraved on the top of them.

They were just GX's with gold plating and a little bit higher power rating than the GX equivalent. Supposedly each one hand entirely hand matched components, lower tolerances, and hand tuning to make them stand above the GX's. They did have lower quoted distortion numbers and ridiculous damper factor numbers. They sounded like an amp to me and I've never owned one that didn't have a problem with the gold flaking.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. And under normal circumstances I can't justify paying for things I can't hear. At a certain point, it just becomes numbers on paper: Bragging rights (even though you couldn't tell the difference between this and its sister amp).
However, I'm a sucker for pre-dei Orion. So I will pay for bragging rights. When I complete my Concept collection, how different is it going to sound from their respective HCCA and XTR cousins? I don't know. And I'm probably going to re-polish the surfaces and put it all under glass in the spare bedroom.
Holy crap! I just got way off topic. What were we talking about again?

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
I've never owned a concept, but I did own a 150R which is the same as a first gen concept and it was just a 225 and a 250sx in a long sink. Didn't sound any different, but what amp does? Get what you like, do what you like and F the rest.

I know for certain there were more than 7 concepts made I saw a single van at the 98 db Drag world finals in Nashville that had more than 7 concepts in it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another post requesting the manual for the 97.1. I have a manual for the 150. Is it the same thing? I mean I know they're not the same, but the concept is. My 97 is a pop-top. So I'll ask you: if I'm not able to find a manual, which two amp manuals would suffice? My amp has two DVX2 cards.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think I still have 2 GS's at home in the garage in need of repair, and yes the gold is flaking off, anybody interested in fixing these?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be if I wasn't already commited to buying three other Orion's. What models, and how bad do you think they are?

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
I think I still have 2 GS's at home in the garage in need of repair, and yes the gold is flaking off, anybody interested in fixing these?
Fixing them for you or purchasing to fix myself? If it's the latter shoot (PM) me a price, I'm always open for some OG Orions.

I have another post requesting the manual for the 97.1. I have a manual for the 150. Is it the same thing? I mean I know they're not the same, but the concept is. My 97 is a pop-top. So I'll ask you: if I'm not able to find a manual, which two amp manuals would suffice? My amp has two DVX2 cards.
PM'd you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like i said i had to dig them up in my garage. One is a GS1000 and the other is a GS100. The 1000 looks to be complete except for the molex. The 100 case is rough and I have to locate the guts if I still have them. I also found an Orion PRQ300 that is in very good condition but I can't find the din cable. Remember phantom power?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like i said i had to dig them up in my garage. One is a GS1000 and the other is a GS100. The 1000 looks to be complete except for the molex. The 100 case is rough and I have to locate the guts if I still have them. I also found an Orion PRQ300 that is in very good condition but I can't find the din cable. Remember phantom power?
How much for the PRQ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Badges, we don't need no stinking badges.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts