DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...

Trying to get a vehicle dialed in, and curious that is an amp can take it, will it make a difference in the quality of sound if an amp is giving say 5 vs 8 volts if the gains are set properly in both instances

Install GM 2012 Truck
Factory Headunit, RF 360, Hertz HDP 4, Kicker IX 1000.1, Hertz Mille, Hertz Hi-Energy. RF P2

Thanks

· Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm not sure I 100% understand your question, but, amplifier distortion will typically be higher at higher output power. Whether you can hear the difference or not is a different question.

As long as gains are set properly, the system is not clipping, and you are within the rated power handling of amp and speakers, you should be fine.

Edit: (I guess another factor is the speakers. They also can introduce distortion the harder you push them)

· Registered
1,231 Posts
...and curious that is an amp can take it, will it make a difference in the quality of sound if an amp is giving say 5 vs 8 volts if the gains are set properly in both instances
Oh, I think I understand now. You meant "IF an amp can take it, will it make a difference in the quality of sound if an amp is GIVEN say 5 vs 8 volts"

It depends on how clean the rest of your system is, but probably not.

· Registered
284 Posts
Hello All...

Trying to get a vehicle dialed in, and curious that is an amp can take it, will it make a difference in the quality of sound if an amp is giving say 5 vs 8 volts if the gains are set properly in both instances

Install GM 2012 Truck
Factory Headunit, RF 360, Hertz HDP 4, Kicker IX 1000.1, Hertz Mille, Hertz Hi-Energy. RF P2

Thanks
The SQ difference is less noise/cleaner signal.

You want everything in the signal path to operate with the higher voltage to see the best improvement. The improvement will be small if you are going from 5v to 8v. Also, if your headunit has high a THD signal, great noise improvements down stream will just not amount to anything better than your headunit.

And most amps have a higher noise floor at lower amperage.

Most class A/B or older amps will have THD curve that looks like a check mark.
The lowest THD is at the max power rating.

Some newer amps have THD curve that are shaped like a dipper.
The lowest THD is at half power rating. Still the THD at max power will be lower than THD at minimum power.

If you over gain the amp or send too much signal, THD will then go through the roof at max power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.