DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the history of or story behind OZ Audio? Their "Superman" subs are still my favorite subs of all time. I owned a pair of the 10" sealed versions. They were amazing with jazz and classical music. Just wondering who designed them and if they were built in one of the American speaker buildhouses responsible for so many of our favorite subs?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
My "fave" subs as well sir :)
In the early 90's, Greg Smith (of G&S Redline fame) set out to design a new line of high end drivers, which ended up being the pioneering product that introduced us to butyl rubber as a surround material. Headquarters were located in DelrayBeach FL iirc, and the were assembled in-house using farmed-out pieces parts. Oz took pride in being a "made in FL, USA " company. In 1995 and again in 1996 I visited the headquarters, saw the subwoofer building first-hand, and actually began a long relationship with them as a semi-sponsored competitor. At that time, Mr. John Walton was the national sales manager, and i think that an investment firm of some sort was a silent partner, but Im not sure. Mr. Smith had, I believe, already sold off his interest in the company.
Over the years, John struggled to keep Oz alive, and had to resort to being bought out by JTI (the 12v alarm company) to keep the doors open, sometime around 2000 or so. Once John was no longer in control, we saw the product lines change....Along came Matrix, then Power Matrix, Vector, Vector Power, et al. Then the focus shifted from building a great sounding product to building a product with a high margin,cheesy advertising, customer service fell off, cheap manufacturing began to kill the QC, and, well, down the crapper it went.

I say God Bless Mr. Walton for keeping the "good" Oz Audio alive for as long as he was able to. I ran into him at SBN in 2010 and he is still in 12V on the security side of things, and much, much happier now :) Thats about all I know....others may be able to fill in more info hopefully. Nice reminiscing....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that background on Oz Audio.
So, Smith left G&S to start Oz? Is that correct?
Many of us PPI fans know that the G&S Competition series amps were built by PPI and were basically the same internals as the M/AM series offered by Precision Power.
Hopefully someone has an old spec sheet on the "Superman" subs and wouldn't mind posting it? I think they were fairly moderate in rated power handling. Something like 250 watts max for the 10" version? But, those "mineral filled poly cones" were so light and that had to contribute to their sensativity. Those subs really shined on tight, punchy bass. Still the most accurate I've ever heard.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Im not sure if he left G&S/ sold out his share beforehand, or just began Oz as a sidebar at the time, but I do know Oz was his "High-end" brainchild and they put a ton of effort and funds into designing pure SQ shiz.
I can post some specs later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My "fave" subs as well sir :)
In the early 90's, Greg Smith (of G&S Redline fame) set out to design a new line of high end drivers, which ended up being the pioneering product that introduced us to butyl rubber as a surround material. Headquarters were located in DelrayBeach FL iirc, and the were assembled in-house using farmed-out pieces parts. Oz took pride in being a "made in FL, USA " company. In 1995 and again in 1996 I visited the headquarters, saw the subwoofer building first-hand, and actually began a long relationship with them as a semi-sponsored competitor. At that time, Mr. John Walton was the national sales manager, and i think that an investment firm of some sort was a silent partner, but Im not sure. Mr. Smith had, I believe, already sold off his interest in the company.
Over the years, John struggled to keep Oz alive, and had to resort to being bought out by JTI (the 12v alarm company) to keep the doors open, sometime around 2000 or so. Once John was no longer in control, we saw the product lines change....Along came Matrix, then Power Matrix, Vector, Vector Power, et al. Then the focus shifted from building a great sounding product to building a product with a high margin,cheesy advertising, customer service fell off, cheap manufacturing began to kill the QC, and, well, down the crapper it went.

I say God Bless Mr. Walton for keeping the "good" Oz Audio alive for as long as he was able to. I ran into him at SBN in 2010 and he is still in 12V on the security side of things, and much, much happier now :) Thats about all I know....others may be able to fill in more info hopefully. Nice reminiscing....
Thanks for the OZ history lesson! They've always been one of my favorite lines (the original superman-logo era anyways,) and I worked at a shop that sold them back in the day.

I was always curious as to what happened that changed the product line to the Matrix, Vector, etc, as that was after I'd left the industry. Wouldn't have a line on a set of superman-era 4" mids, would you? ;)

-Ben

-Ben

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a pair of their 12 inch "superman" subs as well when I was in high school back in 97, got the build the sealed enclosure in shop class. But for the life of me I can not remember what happend to them.

They were awesome, thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Ben, I have a single Oz100 4" midrange....U need it?

Here are the specs for the Oz 250L "low-Q" 10:
Sens 91db/1W/1M
Fs 19.7Hz
Qms 2.130
Qes 0.363
Qts 0.310
Re 2.95 ohm
Le 0.64mH
Xmax 10mm
Mms 54.5g
Vas 8.05 cubic feet
Freq resp- 18-1.2K +/-2db

38oz magnet, 2" voice coil, mineral-filled polypropylene cone

Anybody need any other Oz specs?

BTW I effed up, it was CRAIG Smith, not Greg Smith. But he still was the founder of G&S Redline. Forgive my phonics :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Man I miss these. Probably the only speakers I'd pull my QSDs for. Beautiful sounding and didn't need much power to really sing.
Man do I agree with you there...my FAVORITE mids and tweeters of all time. I bought the first set the shop I eventually went to work at had, and used multiple sets over a few years...NEVER should have sold them. Ended up building a shop vehicle, 1969 Cadillac Hearse, with 2-8", 4-6.5", 8-5.25", 4-4", and 4-tweeters of the Superman series, all off a whole lot of U.S. Amps power...still the most amazing vehicle I've ever built for listening at high volumes..."Man in the Box" sounded like a concert...the only thing that wasn't Oz was the 16-12" Hollywood Sound Labs subs, mainly because we wanted a little more SPL than the Oz could supply.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Do u guys recall the gold metal-flake Oz minitruck that debuted at SBN with sixteen 300L's in a series-tuned bandpass runnin off a pair of Earthquake 4300 surfboards??? Roughly 1994-1996-ish? ...Anybody?

DAYUM that thing played LOW! I think like 32hz was its sweet spot....farkin wind tunnel! Cab roof would flex like a bizznitch! It wasnt the loudest thing there, but it damn sure played the low stuff the loudest! I will scan some pix of it when I find em :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, myself as well! I never owned the Superman subs but heard them many times at shops and still feel it was one of the best if not the best sound q subs i have ever heard. Like a rubber mallet, so soft yet strong if that makes any sense. LOVED them. I DID however own a brand new set of their "Superman" components , top line they had, 6.5's, and drove them with a PPI Powerclass amp WOW!!!!!! CRRRRRRYSTAL clear highs from those tweeter and the mids so smooth. I got them new from a shop whi wanted to move them for like $300 and was told it was a deal? I guess they were very expensive and one of the only tweeters to win a perfect score or something? BEST component set i ever had and regret selling so badly. thank y ou for the interesting history lesson as well!

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Fazza, I have a 92 issue of CAE that has an Oz Audio demo car in it. It's a SHO Taurus "Owned by Darin Brunet, senior engineer at speaker manufacturer Oz Audio in Ceres, California."

Really cool install with a lot of Blade amps and a drum machine pad built into a sun visor.

I wonder when they moved from Cali to Florida...cause I always associated them with Florida.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Do u guys recall the gold metal-flake Oz minitruck that debuted at SBN with sixteen 300L's in a series-tuned bandpass runnin off a pair of Earthquake 4300 surfboards??? Roughly 1994-1996-ish? ...Anybody?

DAYUM that thing played LOW! I think like 32hz was its sweet spot....farkin wind tunnel! Cab roof would flex like a bizznitch! It wasnt the loudest thing there, but it damn sure played the low stuff the loudest! I will scan some pix of it when I find em :)

Steve, was this the truck that had the all plexiglass 6th order series-tuned bandpass box? If so that was back when Ken worked there, right?? Ah memories... I was one of Oz Audio's first dealers in the country back in '92 or so and John was one of the best! Absolutely loved working with him and Ken!!

I'd love to find a pair of 300H's for my install...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fazza, I have a 92 issue of CAE that has an Oz Audio demo car in it. It's a SHO Taurus "Owned by Darin Brunet, senior engineer at speaker manufacturer Oz Audio in Ceres, California."

Really cool install with a lot of Blade amps and a drum machine pad built into a sun visor.

I wonder when they moved from Cali to Florida...cause I always associated them with Florida.
Ah, Blade amps too...LOVE them....

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
YES thats the truck!!!!

Jay, Darin was Craig Smith's engineer, I guess u could say they were partners, and yes the company was begun in Cali and moved to FL in like 92-94 sometime in that timeframe. Sadly I never met either of them.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I only entered one contest and it was using the superman 5.25 comp set and two superman 10" isobaric ported. Two zapco studio amps, 50x2 and the 100x1 they had back then. I won first place.

After the superman, there was the matrix line which was a totally different sub, but still an excellent SQ sub. Got one in the HT. Oddly same modeled response and enclosure recommendations as the supermans. But a 12 in 2.2 ported and lightly stuff was as smooth as it gets

Honestly, I have the og 6.5 set and found the mids muddy. Love the tweets, 5.25s and 4", tweets mostly but since using non poly drivers, they sounded kinda dull. The tweets will always be one of the best. Silk/cotton

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was always partial to the 5.25" as far as mids...the 6.5" were GREAT as midbass though....and I agree....the tweets were incredibly smooth and detailed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ben, I have a single Oz100 4" midrange....U need it?

Here are the specs for the Oz 250L "low-Q" 10:
Sens 91db/1W/1M
Fs 19.7Hz
Qms 2.130
Qes 0.363
Qts 0.310
Re 2.95 ohm
Le 0.64mH
Xmax 10mm
Mms 54.5g
Vas 8.05 cubic feet
Freq resp- 18-1.2K +/-2db

38oz magnet, 2" voice coil, mineral-filled polypropylene cone

Anybody need any other Oz specs?

BTW I effed up, it was CRAIG Smith, not Greg Smith. But he still was the founder of G&S Redline. Forgive my phonics :)
Great thread! It compelled me to join this forum! I have been using Oz Audio ever since 1993. I currently have have 3 Matrix Elite 15's dual 2 ohm & a set of the Superman 6 1/2" components. I absolutely LOVE them, I traded a set of MB Quart 3 way's with competition crossovers. These mated up to my old PPi art Series amps was audible heaven IMO.

Unfortunately 3 months ago I had a local shop install them in the stock locations in my BMW. It was cold & I don't have a garage & didn't feel like messing with it, plus everything was in stock locations.........A no brainer! However it was getting close to closing time so I was dropped off to pick up my car about 15 mins before they closed & found the salesman helping the installer finish so they could get out of there. I didn't think much of it until a week later when my right 6 1/2" went out? I popped of the kick panel & realized the IDIOT salesman mounted the right side totally different than the installer did the left. He didn't get the driver deep enough into the factory location & smashed the factory grill against it so he could go home. It bound up the motor/suspension & no I have a blown driver. I'm SICK about & they said they won't do anything about it!!!! They said it must have been damaged already & that wouldn't have blown them!! Still trying to figure out what to do? I think maybe even small claims court may be in order. The install shop was Mickey Shorr in Waterford Michigan.
All this being said if anyone know where I can get my hands on a Superman 6 1/2" driver or any Superman component parts I would worship you :). Google has yielded nothing but dead ends. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As usual my quest for anything Oz doesn't turn up much interest. One day i hope to find someone with a spair 180L or two they aren't using...........:)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts