DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So are there any OZ speaker fans out there? I have been a huge fan since the first time I heard them!!! When they first came out. They hit a home run straight out of the gate. I caught alot of crap around the shop because I rebuilt my system and competed with a brand we didn't carry. I drove four hours to get them from a dealer. We carried great brands I just loved them and they were a good value. I had access to ADS, JL, and Dynaudio in the early 90's. I tried USD waveguide's with JL 6.5 first but then ultimately went with OZ Superman 5 1/4 component set to match the 12H I had. So I found them in a box pot them in a year ago and it's hard to take them out.
They are so silky smooth and have so much air and detail. On axis sounds great and off axis they are incredible. The sound stage is just realistic. They are one of the few component sets that you can just drop in any car with a great amp and presto great sound. I had done so many cars with them over the years and they never seize to amaze me. I have run them with many different amps from Kenwood, Alpine 35xx, Autotek, HiFonics, ESX, Lanzar, Zed Audio, Orion, Linear Power, ADS, PG, etc. They are about the most forgiving car speakers. The temp 5 1/4 component set in my car has been in five different systems. Until the last two cars they made it to from the closet. I didn't remember what I was missing. Pics coming later have to dig up what remains of the 12's I'm sure the suspension is shot from storage.

I have an issue I really want and planned on going with the new Morel LE Supremo 3way component set. But I just found a set of never played 4" superman s and a set of 8L's :) :) :) so off to modding dash and a pillars for an old school active???

I see scattered OZ fans around. I thought this could be a gathering place.

Also If anyone has any history. The were doing great then just dropped off to oblivion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
First I ever heard OF them was in an issue of CSR in Shaq's van. They are one of the few sets of speakers I've never heard and love. Make sense?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) :laugh: I know exactly what you mean. I knew many that felt the same way. They weren't cheap but they weren't stratosphere expensive ether. They never seemed to get that mainstream attention. You'll see some pop up around I suggest taking a chance on some. They are something you just have to own to fully appreciate. They are very rewarding. I was lucky enough to run a shop and brought them in around 1994-96.

It's funny though when you look at the drivers there is nothing that is really spectacular about them other than the paint job. The cones didn't look like anything super special, they had nice motors but nothing crazy like 9"vc or inverted unobtainium magnets. They just seemed to do so many little things right it was the details that made them so good. Balanced is the best way to describe them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I can't say I'm a fan of the superman speakers, because I haven't owned or heard them, I do have a set of the plain black 5.25" Matrix Elite's and they are absolutely brilliant.
So I'm definitely an OZ fan.

I want to get some OZ ME subs next when they pop up.
Hopefully they'll go alright in IB.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I can't say I'm a fan of the superman speakers, because I haven't owned or heard them, I do have a set of the plain black 5.25" Matrix Elite's and they are absolutely brilliant.
So I'm definitely an OZ fan.

I want to get some OZ ME subs next when they pop up.
Hopefully they'll go alright in IB.
I haven't played with the matrix stuff but haven't heard much bad either. I always had the superman in OZ. Close enough. So welcome anyway. You owe it to yourself to hear the superman.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had an old 180cs set with the black square crossovers in some sealed kicks and I still remember exactly how they sounded to this day.

Only problem with them today is the absolute ridiculous prices they get listed for on ebay. Not too long ago, I saw a seller asking over 400 bucks for a used 180cs set!

I want to find someone with a blown superman sub who will sell it to me for cheap so I can reverse engineer and possibly recreate it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I searched everywhere and ended up buying my 130cs from New Jersey. BNIB for $300 delivered to Aus.

My brother in law just bought a BNIB set of 180cs for $299.

Both are the ones with the gold and silver Oz logo on the crossover.

·
Registered
620 Posts
OG Oz is just really nice stuff. Haven't had a lot of experience with them but a friend had a pair of 10's back in the day in a sealed box and they just sounded really nice. Lots of detail and good output. The paint job on the basket was awesome! I wanted so bad to paint my 88 Mustang GT black with that purple on the bottom below the belt line (it was 1993 afterall :)). It still is the perfect color of metallic purple.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I definitely want in the OZ Superman Fan Club. I was a dealer for them for many years back in the 90's. I loved everything about Oz Audio especially their customer service. John Walton and Ken (the tech guy) were great to deal with. It was a shame to watch them fall.... I still have one of their 10" subs and a 6 1/2" component set that I'll prob hang on to forever. Such great speakers!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im certainly in the club.. Ive been a huge Oz Superman fan since the early to mid 90's. Shop in Davenport Ia carried them and the salesman knew me by name for sure. I would go in to "audition" the components I couldnt afford nearly every weekend for months before I was able to buy my first set.. Like going to see a puppy at the puppy store several times to make sure you are truely in love with them before taking them home..ha.

I enjoyed every moment of having those in my first couple cars. It was a couple years before I added the 10" to the set up, I was a diehard solobaric sub fan for years until I switched to the Superman subs.. I remember being amazed at the Jack Hammer like performance those 10's gave rocking out to Metallica the first time I played them. They always sounded graceful regardless of the genre of music. I only ever ran them sealed, cant recall ever hearing them ported but do remember reading of them run IB in magazines.

I have not owned Oz components in years and would love to find a set, so if anyone knows of any by all means send me some info. I am however the proud owner of a set of 10" and 12" subs. The 12" set were stored improperly and have flat spots on the surrounds but are otherwise mint.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
My home theater sub has been using a 250 l tuned to 26 hz for a while. Still sounds amazing

·
Registered
432 Posts
Back in the day, Oz Supermans were on my want list so bad.
The shiny cones with the OZ reflective emblems!!

Never were able to afford them, plus it was hard to find around here.

I was stuck with M&M Godfathers 15s and MB Quarts. Back then, I liked it loud and clear. LOL.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have this matrix elite 10 with a cracked dustcap sitting around for a the past few years. Found a carbon fiber one the same size on ebay and replaced it. Looks great IMO. Such a nice sounding sub.

I am getting a little cracking noise from the dustcap on some fast transients and Im wondering if its because it was shallower than the previous dustcap but it rarely happens.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts