Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I own a P99RS, but never use Auto EQ

Votes: 14 25.5%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of those who have tried the Auto EQ on the P99RS, I want to know your thoughts on it. Im not talking about T/A, just the Auto EQ.

How did Auto EQ sound? Did it sound better on or off? What freqs did you think it cut/boost?

Also, did you use Auto NW or Custom NW when starting the process?
For those who may not be aware, Auto NW chooses the crossover points for you (some believe it to be a default setting) and Custom NW lets you auto tune with your OWN crossover points.

One thing is for sure, I wish I could SEE what the Auto EQ curve is!!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Custom NW for sure, auto seem to be preset with the same xover points 1600/6300hz or something like that. Don't like it, I cross lower. Auto EQ do L-R pretty good but not overall response imo. I ended up not using it at all.

Perhaps you could see what it does by hooking up a laptop mic input to the rca output and measure freq response in some rta program? Dunno if you can do that...

I measure and do it manually, I want complete control over settings. But AutoEQ sounds better than no EQ at all, I give you that!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My current setup relies on pretty heavy equalization to sound decent, mainly because of speaker choice and placement (fullrange drivers on dash aimed at windscreen). So auto-eq sounds much better than no eq, but I have used it as a base setting for further adjusting manually.

But from turning it just on/off from flat, it adds a bit to the top and straightens out the response in the midrange I would say.

Also custom NW. Fullrange drivers from 200hz up, midbass drives from 40-200hz and sub plays 31hz and down.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Custom NW for sure, auto seem to be preset with the same xover points 1600/6300hz or something like that. Don't like it, I cross lower. Auto EQ do L-R pretty good but not overall response imo. I ended up not using it at all.

Perhaps you could see what it does by hooking up a laptop mic input to the rca output and measure freq response in some rta program? Dunno if you can do that...

I measure and do it manually, I want complete control over settings. But AutoEQ sounds better than no EQ at all, I give you that!
I belive it's 1,600/12 and 8khz/12. Not knowing this was the default, I tried it and it sounds very good in my car.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I belive it's 1,600/12 and 8khz/12. Not knowing this was the default, I tried it and it sounds very good in my car.
1.6kHz... Biggest speaker doing most of the work is why it sounds good ;)
^ makes for a more dynamic system...

Kelvin

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
1.6kHz... Biggest speaker doing most of the work is why it sounds good ;)
^ makes for a more dynamic system...

Kelvin
I agree. That seems to hold true with my whole system. Even though the midbass sound good at 60hz, the 430 plays 250 and up just fine which the klippel shows, and the tweeters do 2.2khz fine, everything sounds better with the higher crossover points within reason.

This is the dilemma I've been facing for daily driver mode. An ok stage and very dynamic system or a good stage and less dynamic system. I think the more dynamic system makes me happier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think for an auto-tune it does an excellent job in near every way.

I say this viewing it as a simple starting point though. I still have extensive tuning done afterwards, but the auto-tune saved hours of baseline tuning.

I use AUTO NW to get a baseline for the levels, adjust gains, then use CUSTOM NW for my own crossover points etc.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience it this.

The Auto Setup set my HAT L6SE and L1 Pro R2 tweets at 8k 12db. Yes I know it seems to be a default setting, and its very high for most people.

I think the only reason it worked was the 12db on the tweet.

The part that got me with this setup, was turning the Auto EQ off resulted in a lifeless, sort of hollow sound. Makes me wonder why the P99 simply doesnt show you the EQ curve....

I thought maybe the Auto EQ was making up for its "default" setting (8k 12db) by boosting the crap out of freqs the mid wasnt that great at playing, since it was crossed at 8k...

When I try a lower crossover setting, the tweets start to sound harsh, they are mounted ear level on-axis where the mids are door mounted.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Here you go, had measurements saved for all the modes. Made an overlay, measured at the same conditions, same output level. 4 averages at driver position, smoothed 1/3 for better illustation. Auto T/A disabled. Measured with an Acer laptop, Behringer ECM8000 and a tube preamp, used together with calibration curves. These are not final adjustments, just a rough EQ setting I made based on measurement curves. The yellow curve is my own setting, LR combined. (Didn't have separate LR measurements for some reason). The red and blue are auto settings. Red is full auto 1600/8000Hz? Blue is my own xovers, same as yellow. Sub: Pass/[email protected] - Mid: Pass/[email protected] - Midrange: [email protected]/[email protected] - Tweet: [email protected]/[email protected] was the settings at the time of the measurements.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I really like it, and I learn some thing new every time I use it!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't have the P99 but the basics should be the same. Get a simple multimeter and a CD with o dB test tones at your EQ frequencies and you can measure at the amp(s) what the auto EQ does. It gives you an idea of the frequencies that are boosted and what frequency are cut. I leave the Auto EQ on and move on from there.
If I want to change something big I first get the measurements at the amp (including my own EQ settings) to have some sort of baseline I can return to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't really like how the Auto EQ sounds. Hate is a little overkill but that's what I voted for. In reality I just turn it off and try to EQ it myself so maybe I should have voted that way :rolleyes:

Going to keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
806 Posts
wow, thank you!

so this is a mic measurement of your system output with zero EQ? It looks like the auto EQ raised the high end, took a big cut from 1K to 7K, gave a little boost ~ 300K, and lowered the low end significantly from 20 to 100 Hz or so.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
wow, thank you!

so this is a mic measurement of your system output with zero EQ? It looks like the auto EQ raised the high end, took a big cut from 1K to 7K, gave a little boost ~ 300K, and lowered the low end significantly from 20 to 100 Hz or so.
Something like that, this is 1/6 smoothed btw. Looks a little bit more rough.

Edit: In the first graph the "full auto" runs the 8inch mid to 1600Hz, which it doesn't handle very good. That's why there's a big dip there :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The Auto NW sounded horrible in my car, but it's a bit unorthodox (10" midbass, 3" widebander). The Custom NW came close, but it was too bright in the higher frequencies & the stage was pulling to the left.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.