DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Value and relevance to my particular system is the question.

I understand the P99RS is a superior SQ unit with alot of features, however I don't know if my setup will extract the extra $900 worth of SQ.

The CDA-117 with Imprint has posted some solid performance with alot of members who have quality setups at a much reasonable price/availability.

Im not running Active.

My setup
HU: P99RS or CDA-117
FS: Boston SPZ60 (Passive)
FA: Boston GT2300
RS: Boston SR95 6X9
RA: Boston GT2125
SB: Boston SPG555 (4OHM)
SA: Alpine PDX M-12
BAT: Optima Yellow
Moderate Sound Deadening

Anyone with experience with these 2 HU, please drop your 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you're not running active, theres no point in getting a P99RS (imo)

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
$1000 unit vs a $500 unit. Hmmm. doesn't seem like a well thought out comparison.

Why not just get the HU you like and add a DSP like the MS-8 or BitOne. Much more comparable in price and performance to the P99RS.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
$1000 unit vs a $500 unit. Hmmm. doesn't seem like a well thought out comparison.

Why not just get the HU you like and add a DSP like the MS-8 or BitOne. Much more comparable in price and performance to the P99RS.
Even that wont be ideal for him, he said hes not running active, so he could get by with a wal-mart sony with F/R and Sub outputs.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
While I tend to agree, maybe he's hoping to get something with more bands of EQ. But yes, just a HU with 3 sets of 4V preouts would do nearly the same thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even that wont be ideal for him, he said hes not running active, so he could get by with a wal-mart sony with F/R and Sub outputs.
Wow! Really? I mean what about the Copper Chassis, Master Clock and (4) 24-bit DACs? I thought these would make a huge difference irregardless of it being Passive.

My concern is buying something so expensive and then finding its not day/night compared to somebodys Walmart gear.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wow! Really? I mean what about the Copper Chassis, Master Clock and (4) 24-bit DACs? I thought these would make a huge difference irregardless of it being Passive.

My concern is buying something so expensive and then finding its not day/night compared to somebodys Walmart gear.
Its somewhat better, but what you're really paying for are all the active features of the HU.

Most HU's measure pretty flat from what Ive read.

Since you want to run passive AND with rear fill, I suggest you find a nice H/U with F/R and Sub outputs along with other features you may desire (bluetooth, ipod, usb)

To get the most out of a unit like the P99RS you need a 3-way (at least 2-way) active front stage and subs, quite the opposite of your situation..

EDIT: After looking at the alpine 117 it seems like exactly what you're looking for...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should I get the Imprint module as well?

On a side note, what is your take on single din video HU like the Kenwood KVT-696 or the Pioneer AVH-6300BT?

I originally wanted to go that route but I just got sidetracked, thinking SQ on these other units was light years ahead in regards to my setup, and that I wouldn't get the most out of my components.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are running passives, a simple HU can do the job nicely... Just that there's some settings to llok after also, like the crossover points for HPF and LPF for each channels...
Nice Youtube video in your Signature, Ive watched that before. Really makes you think..

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
The CDA-117 has a good enough EQ, and as I said earlier, if not active then EQ is the only thing you stand to gain from a higher end unit (assuming quality unit and 4V). The Imprint would not be much improvement.

·
Registered
806 Posts
What about the independent L/R EQ control? This seems like a significant feature set to really improve the image and stage in a car, active or not.

Right now my passive setup has stage and image definition problems that I am hoping will be corrected by purchasing the p99rs.

I read about greatly improving the image definition and position by boosting / cutting each individual band using test tones so that each becomes centered.

this sounds very logical and reasonable and definitely something that can benefit most installs, active or passive.

What other new HUs can do this, unless you buy used or wait for the DEH-80PRS?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read the P99RS has Digital Direct and is better for Ipods. In your opinion, is it a noticeable difference compared to standard HU?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How would I go about turning my setup into a 2-way? I still havent purchased the rear fill, so I have some flexibility in my setup.

@rc10mike
How do you rate the Direct Digital Connection for your Ipod/USB Drive on the P99RS?
Is it a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How would I go about turning my setup into a 2-way? I still havent purchased the rear fill, so I have some flexibility in my setup.

@rc10mike
How do you rate the Direct Digital Connection for your Ipod/USB Drive on the P99RS?
Is it a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I bought a Carrozzeria DEH-P01 (P99RS)

A local member posted one for sale, went to look and couldnt leave without it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy crap, you really don't play around do you lol...
I was going to go with the Alpine CDA-117, it was more reasonable. Its just that
a high end unit like this will hold its value over time, and they are rare. I think we can all go into our garage and dig up old car audio/audio equipment that we've held onto for years, and in 10 years I want to dig this up and smile.

Plus sometimes you see something that just calls to you, whatever it may be. My next purchase is an HK MR556, it just speaks to me.

On another note, were you one of the prospective buyers on Nasty02M3's DEH-P01?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts